Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 broken shell plate

Loading 9mm on 1050

Normally runs smooth, noticed small part of shell plate fall out. When I removed plate, almost every location is cracked. I can not come up with a reason or even something that might be set wrong to do it.

Anyone seen anything like this before on a 1050?

post-4241-1257381897_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Sherwyn

Never, I have loaded more rounds on 1050's over the last 20 years than I can remember. Still have two of the old style 1050's. One of those has over 600,000 rds loaded and still works great. :surprise:

My shellplate started moving vertically more than normal and flexing as the powder drop/expander die was pulled out of the case on the upstroke. The main shaft nut had come loose just enough to allow the shellplate to move upward a bit at the start of the upstroke. This would put pressure I think on the shell plate in the areas where yours seems to have cracked.

Yep- The swage backup die is set too far down. And without the swager in place to support the underside of the shellplate, The repeated force eventually cracks out the underside of the shellplate exactly as shown in your photograph. time to buy a new shellplate I'm afraid. :ph34r:

Yep- The swage backup die is set too far down. And without the swager in place to support the underside of the shellplate, The repeated force eventually cracks out the underside of the shellplate exactly as shown in your photograph. time to buy a new shellplate I'm afraid. :ph34r:

Yes, I already spent the $70 on the new shellplate.

But only using an expander...have not had the swage or swage backup in use for at least 3-4 years.

Guess it could have cracked when I was using them, but that was probably 100k rounds ago and would think it had shown up before now.

Sherwyn

Then also be sure the bottom of the decap pin retaining nut is not contacting the bottom of the interior of the case. Back the decap assembly out a few turns, pull the handle down with a case in station 1, then thread the decap assembly down until it stops. Also, inspect the decap pin, make sure a 22 rimfire or or small case is not caught on the end of the decap assembly.

Then also be sure the bottom of the decap pin retaining nut is not contacting the bottom of the interior of the case. Back the decap assembly out a few turns, pull the handle down with a case in station 1, then thread the decap assembly down until it stops. Also, inspect the decap pin, make sure a 22 rimfire or or small case is not caught on the end of the decap assembly.

Using a EGW undersize die for decapping which is slip compression retained.

Looks like I must have done it before I removed the swage and backup, wonder why there is a recess in the support platform at that position.

Amazing that it took so long for it to show up.

Thanks all

Sherwyn