Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 22 or 35

npolley

i like the barrel length of the 22 but all i see on here are topics about the 35, 34, and 17 glocks for limited use. so the first question is does anyone use the glock 22 for limited comp or are most people using the 35?

how big a deal is the difference in the major and minor categories? should i go with the 9x19 instead of the .40?

next i would like to get one and have limited mods done this winter so i can practice with it for awhile.

what or who is the best to send it to so it can be modified? and what options do most go with?

i know this is total newbie sh&* but ive searched some and havent found specifics about the 22. its mainly about the 17 and 34 so any links on the forum would help too

thanks

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on whether you want to compete in Limited or Production. I know you said Limited in your post, so in that case the .40 is the obvious choice since 9mm cannot compete in Limited at Major pf.

Really I don't recommend sending your gun off. One of the great advantages of the basic Glock design is that it's a modular handgun. Upgrading it is generally simply a process of replacing drop-in parts with other drop-in parts. Even doing a trigger job on a Glock is so easy that you can do it yourself, in much less time, and at lesser expense, than sending the gun off for work, using the procedures set forth in the Making Glocks Rock! DVD from the American Gunsmithing Institute.

http://www.americangunsmith.com/view.php?id=3

As to the Glock 22 versus 35, I can offer only limited insight into that since I don't shoot those guns in USPSA or IDPA. I do know that, in my testing, I have not found the Glock 34 to offer any real advantage in performance, even for the long shots so commonly touted as its area of superiority, over the Glock 17. Whether switching the caliber from 9mm to .40 changes that situation, I cannot really say without having tested it myself. Though I do have to say I'd be amazed if that was the case - then again, I've been amazed before. :lol:

No reason you can't shoot the 22 in Limited. The longer sight radius will help, as will the extra weight of the slide might help it balance better.

You can do everything to the 22 that you can do to the 35.

Can't help you with which mods- I am sure someone will be along shortly to help with that.

With the cheap G22's available frome LE trade ins, I have thought about this as well.

after looking more at the specs i think ill go with the 35.

the main thing i wanted to do with sending it off was to maybe get the grip contoured alittle smaller (i have smaller hands) and maybe add a beavertail.

ive looked at some of the robar options, i didnt know if there were any other companies out there that do that kind of work

Hello: Go with the Glock 35. I shot a G22 for a while as well as many others :surprise: The G35 has the advantage of longer sight radius, better balance for me, and it uses less powder to make major. The transitions are the same for me as well. You may want to try shooting a Glock 35 first before you go modifying the grip. Once the grip is changed then you cannot shoot it in Production. Just something to think about. If you reload I would choose the Glock 35 if you don't get the Glock 34 and shoot Production, Limited(minor) and Limited 10 (minor). Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

The Glock Tenifer finish is better than any finish you can get in America. It is extremely hard and long wearing- no need to Robar it. I like both the 22 and the 35. Limited 10 is a good game and either gun would be good there out of the box after you add some better sights like Warren Tactical Sevigny or Dawson. For Limited you need mag extensions-Arredondo or Dawson or Taylor Freelance. I like the 35 for competition because it comes with the 3.5lb Connector as opposed to the 5 lb connector on the 22, so then all you need to do is play with springs (15lb Wolff with a non-captured rod) and polish the firing pin safety plunger. This is a deep well on this forum and there are probably at least a dozen threads on Glocks and some archival material. Try searching. Most shooters like the 35 over the shorter barrel for reasons given above. There is no need to necessarily do anything to a Glock to compete. Have fun.

Which ever Glock you choose, run AT LEAST 1000 rounds through it in practice and competition before you change anything. You need a lot of trigger time with it before you know what's good, bad or indifferent.

Lastly, the G22 is to Law Enforcement what the G35 is to competition.

Jim

There are some G35's fully ready for sale in the classifieds. It's a good choice for Limited.

I've also said elsewhere that I'm not convinced that my G35 is a better gun for me than a G22 would have been and, were I to do it over again, I would choose the G22. There is a lot said about the value of the longer slide, but I'm fairly certain that most people (myself included) do not shoot well enough for that extra to make much of a difference. I will say that I was shooting some full sized steel silhouettes at 75yds and that longer slide probably helped, but I'm not sure it did me any good shooting multiple 1/4 scale targets at 15yds.

I have shot with both and prefer the G35. Without getting technical, it just feels better to me. My trigger from the factory felt great. Just added a magwell, some TruGrip and good sights and I was off. Oh yeah, and I took off the extended slide stop lever, that thing just gets in the way.

I use the G35 for Limited-10 and SSP. I find that the extra velocity you get with the longer barrel helps you meet minimum power factor in both USPSA and IDPA. I haven't shot the G22, but my G23 seems to recoil significantly more than the G35.

Edited by Mustang684

I've shot both and maybe it's a mental thing, but I like the 35 better. I shoot mine in Production division with the intention of maybe shooting L10 or Limited one day, but I'm having plenty of fun in Limited right now. I also bought a used G22 slide so that I could run the gun in GSSF matches in the civilian division and then with the G35 slide run it in the Competition division.

With PF not really being a factor in Production since everything's scored minor, I don't see the longer barrel as an advantage for velocity, but for L10 or Limited it would be. As for the longer sight radius, maybe.

I simply get more considence from the G35. Before I bought the gun I shot a friends G22 and G35 back to back and I shot the G35 better. Maybe it's all in my head, I know I have an inclination toward long slides (love the look of the G24 and 17L and the newer 6" 2011s being made these days) so maybe that's all it is. I'm not saying you'll shoot the G35 more accurately, maybe you'll like and shoot the G22 better.

One thing I'll say and I wish I had done for my G35 is pricewise you're better off buying used. I've seen whole setups: Gun, mags, holster, belt, mag puches.... sell in the classifieds here for far less than I paid for my setup, and probably close to what I paid for my gun alone after the few mods I've done to it. And if you're afraid of buying used, don't be. If anything breaks, glock will replace it. I just got done reading about a few people who have had slides crack on them and glock replaced them for free :)

Right, i dont plan on changing it right out of the box, im just curious what are the best brands and what other people have found most reliable for the glock i know there are alot of different ones out there since the glock is so customizable.

I just sent off my Glock 17 to it's new owner yesterday, otherwise I'd've let you try it out first. After shooting Glocks for years, I've now decided to switch to an M&P40 for Production. I started out shooting a Glock 35 in Limited, totally stock and with factory ammo. More recently, I shot a Glock 17 in Production all summer. I don't see any real advantage to the longer gun, although it is cooler looking, especially on your nightstand with a Surefire light attached.

The only thing I've ever needed changed on a Glock is the sights. The stock sights suck horribly, and the Warren/Sevigny sights are awesome. My Kimber single stack has sights that are very similar, and I love them. If I could get them for my new M&P, I'd be all over it. The only Glocks I've ever seen choke at a match (when it wasn't ammo related) were ones that had been worked on. A Glock trigger can only get so good, and I don't think it's worth risking reliability for a marginally better trigger.

I built a Limited G22, bought a G35 and went back to the G22. I know that they weigh the same, but the 22 seemed to transition easier for me. I also felt that the 22 had a faster slide speed, which I prefer.

Mine had:

Dawson ICE magwell- aluminum

Full Glockworx trigger kit (<2.5#, with no takeup and very positive reset)

extended mag release

Sevigny FO sights

15# recoil spring and stainless guide rod

Grams extended basepads and modified #5 followers for 20 round capacity- reloadable.

Very minor undercut instead of a beavertail

Grip tape

Of course, now I have an SVI Open gun....

i like the barrel length of the 22 but all i see on here are topics about the 35, 34, and 17 glocks for limited use. so the first question is does anyone use the glock 22 for limited comp or are most people using the 35?

how big a deal is the difference in the major and minor categories? should i go with the 9x19 instead of the .40?

next i would like to get one and have limited mods done this winter so i can practice with it for awhile.

what or who is the best to send it to so it can be modified? and what options do most go with?

i know this is total newbie sh&* but ive searched some and havent found specifics about the 22. its mainly about the 17 and 34 so any links on the forum would help too

thanks

You won't see too many folks shooting a 34 or 17 in Limited because that would prevent them from being scored Major. If you intend to shoot any Lim or L-10 you're going to want to shoot .40 Major. You can shoot L/L-10 Minor, but it's giving away points that, for most people, simply aren't going to be gained by shooting faster, or maintained by shooting more accurately. On the flip side you can always download to, or buy, .40 Minor ammo for Production and not be losing anything other than slightly higher component costs.

I've got more time shooting a G22 than anything, but that's because it's my issued gun where concealment is the norm. For competition purposes I can't see how a 35 isn't going to be better for the vast majority of shooters out there. For the folks suggesting the 22 is the better competition gun I've got to wonder why it is I have never seen anyone suggest that a Commander length 1911/2011 would be a better competition gun. They flip more, have a shorter sight radius and don't have any advantages to offset those two things. Comparing a 35 to a 22 is pretty much an equal comparison to a 5" 1911 and a Commander....maybe not exactly, but very, very close and the one primary difference (3/4" versus 1/2" of barrel length difference) is the one that proponents of the 22/17 say isn't a big deal...sight radius. R,

The only thing I've ever needed changed on a Glock is the sights. The stock sights suck horribly, and the Warren/Sevigny sights are awesome. My Kimber single stack has sights that are very similar, and I love them. If I could get them for my new M&P, I'd be all over it.

You can get the W/S sights for you M&P....I'm going to get around to ordering a rear for my M&P (already have a Dawson front on it). R,

Thanks, Bart! I knew that the regular Warrens were available so I figured it was only a matter of time before the W/S were, but I hadn't seen them anywhere. Do you know where to buy them?

For the folks suggesting the 22 is the better competition gun I've got to wonder why it is I have never seen anyone suggest that a Commander length 1911/2011 would be a better competition gun. They flip more, have a shorter sight radius and don't have any advantages to offset those two things. Comparing a 35 to a 22 is pretty much an equal comparison to a 5" 1911 and a Commander....maybe not exactly, but very, very close and the one primary difference (3/4" versus 1/2" of barrel length difference) is the one that proponents of the 22/17 say isn't a big deal...sight radius. R,

Bart's right in theory and reality for most folks.....

That said, one of my friends shot a 35 in Limited and L10 for a while, then compared it to a 22 for a while, and eventually traded his 35 top ends for 22 top ends. For him the 22 size gun was the right configuration....

I've never been happy with the 17. The 34 always felt better and I shot better scores with it.....

I've also shot both. As mentioned in previous posts, the longer sight radius always better. You'll definitely see the benefit when you're taking head shoots or 8" plates at 25+ yards. The longer slide also gives you more weight to mitigate recoil. A trick that glock shooters in Limited and Limited 10 do is use an extended tungsten guide rod for even more weight below the bore axis. You can used the extended rod in a G22 frame because it's too short.

If you do decide to shoot Lim/Lim10, .40 is the way to go. Major caliber is more forgiving with "sloppy" shooting than minor ;-)

And when you decide to shoot Production, swap out the barrel for a 9mm, extractor(?), and ejector(?) if needed. When I converted by G35 to a G34, all I replaced was my barrel and extractor.

Maybe it's the lack of oxygen living at a mile high confusing our brains, but many, if not more, of the local Glock shooters in Colorado, in Prod and L/L10, prefer the shorter 17/22 pistols to the 34/35. I have both 17s and a 34 set up for production, and for the past two years have preferred shooting a 17 over a 34. There were many shooters with 17s at Nationals this year.

I regularly think, in theory the 34 should be a better production set-up with the extra sight length, and after all Dave and Bob use it, so I shoot a 34 for a match or two. But, I consistently shoot better scores with a 17, and in practice have not realized any difference in accuracy and group size between the two at any distance. I am going to practice more with my 34 this winter to see if I start to like it more, but for now I prefer the 17. FOR ME and at this point in my shooting growth and ability, the 17 is quicker out of the holster, seems to settle and transition quicker, and does not give up anything in accuracy.

It seems many of the local M&P and XD production shooters also prefer the shorter guns to the longer versions. To each her/his own.

Pick one; plan right; practice hard and perfectly; win! Ciao for now.

-br

Edited by BR