Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How important is the lower?

IHMSA Pete

I'll admit to getting on the AR band wagon after the last presidential election. Not knowing any better I overpaid for a cast DPMS lower with an A2 stock.

Would it be worth it to have a JP trigger installed and run a LaRue Stealth upper? This rifle's only purpose would be 3-gun competition.

Or, am I trying to make a silk purse out of a pig's ear?

Interesting question. I woud have to say the most important thing is how well it shoots a group. This of course depends on many factors like ammo etc. If you can shoot a one inch group at 100 yards it should be good to go.

Have you looked at the STI Competiton rifles, Dawson has them on sale for $1199.

My advice is have a barrel/ammo match that goups well and a trigger that allows the barrel to live up to its potential. I have had cheap barrels shoot as well or better than those that sell for much more coin. As to triggers, you really get what you pay for. The gold trigger is the top of the heap and they vary from there.

The DPMS receiver is not cast :) It's forged, like any other mil-spec receiver out there....

There are some things about the lower that need to be right, but it's not as critical to the accuracy of the gun as the upper and how the upper is built. GentlemanJim brought up some good points to me about the importance of the lower in this equation - I previously thought the lower was effectively there to just keep the fire control stuff together, and give you something to hang on to, but it's more important than that. IIRC, though, they were things that mostly had to do with reliability. That said, your DPMS lower is made by the same factory that makes a whole ton of other manufacturer's mil-spec forgings.

As Larry says, you should be good to go with that lower (I have a couple of those in the safe that I bought as Obama insurance, myself ;) ). Build something up and shoot the snot out of it...

I haven't handled an AR Gold - it's supposed to be very nice. The JP trigger than Jim installed in my Firebird is nice. I've now had several people threaten to steal that rifle when I wasn't looking to get that trigger. They have a very hard time believing it breaks at 4.5#.... Put a good upper and tube on it - put together by someone who knows what they're doing - and a good sighting system, and away you go...

I got a couple built on DPMS, they are great so far. A quality built upper does wonders. :cheers:

I am currently building one on a Rock River lower. I just got an 18" and 24" barrel in to choose from. It will still have a rolling thunder comp on it.

Other than paying a little over current market price, that lower is an excellent platform to build a three gun rifle on. You are on the right track by putting in a JP trigger. I have both mil spec forged receivers and high dollar billet receivers and can honestly say that there is very little measureable performance difference for the money. Generally you are paying a hell of a lot for some very cool cosmetic differences.

Now, although Larue, Noveske, et al make very high quality parts you are paying a very high premium for the wares associated with their "tactical" reputations.

Give Jim at Firebird Precision a call. He can build you an upper that is second to none with regards to performance and it will also be a very good compliment to your lower.

Edited by smokshwn

I just went thru that whole trigger thing with my smith and a few other shooters and they all were gaga about the Rock River Two stage. In the end I decided I had a one stage brain and finger and just put the JP 3.5# spring kit in and the trigger breaks at about 4-5 lbs Best $10.00 I have spent in a long time.

Its not perfect, just a tad of creep, but it sure is a lot better than the stock Bushmaster Trigger. :cheers:

Then agian its the Indian and not the bow.

The lower if fine. I have a JP trigger I installed in a RRA lower and it is good but the one JP installed for me is the heat.

One of the top 3 gun shooters said that it was a very good trigger. For a competition gun, I think I'd have a gunsmith like Jim @ Firebird or Benny Hill install it.

Other than paying a little over current market price, that lower is an excellent platform to build a three gun rifle on. You are on the right track by putting in a JP trigger. I have both mil spec forged receivers and high dollar billet receivers and can honestly say that there is very little measureable performance difference for the money. Generally you are paying a hell of a lot for some very cool cosmetic differences.

Now, although Larue, Noveske, et al make very high quality parts you are paying a very high premium for the wares associated with their "tactical" reputations.

Give Jim at Firebird Precision a call. He can build you an upper that is second to none with regards to performance and it will also be a very good compliment to your lower.

+1 on the Firebird upper.

I have a 20" Firebird upper on my DPMS lower with JP trigger and it is badass! My only regret is that I didn't get the barrel turned down a little under the handguard. Its a bit front end heavy.

• 1 month later...

Ar15's are NOT "mil-spec". The military has specs for M16's/M4's, not for commercial AR15's. That said, the lower makes very little differance in the performance of the rifle if it fits the upper tightly, and holds the FCG where it should be. DPMS makes a good product, no better or worse than anything else (well maybe better than Hesse). Major difference in lowers is how and what mags will fit and/or drop free.