Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wanting a S&W 625, is the JM worth anything extra

feersum dreadnaught

As the topic says, I'm in the market for a 4" 625. I've always wanted one (well, since ~1988 or so), first in the 5" barrel, now, to comply with IDPA rules, I'll get a 4"

I've seen used 625s on GunBroker and so forth, for ~$600-800 ish. I've seen NIB 625JMs for $775-900. Is there any magic to the 625JM beyond the grips and sights (which I'd probably change right off) and the JM marking on the frame?

any pros and cons about the basic platform to beware of? (besides the normal pre- and post-lock discussion).

thanks

I am no expert, but I would say check with Mike Carmoney. I do not think the JM is the way to go and he will steer you in the right direction. He is a frequent poster and has a link to his business just above the classifieds.

There was a significant deal on a 4" 625 on the USPSA Classified ads yesterday. Ad stated that gun had no more than 250 rounds fired, a North Mountain 4-post moonclip holder, and a handful of moonclips for $750.00

I don't need a 4", but for that price, I've thought about buying it anyway.

Edited by Rather-B-Huntin

The short answer is that the difference you quoted in price would cover a full Carmoney job on the revo, more or less. I can ASSURE you, that money is much better spent with Mr. Carmoney than with S&W. Just like you wouldn't be a good shot if you only practiced hitting a barn door from five feet, you can't rely on "the best action job" when it is applied to an eight pound pull. They just don't work in our range of tolerances, for good reason.

H.

I have one of the PC 625's and a buddy had a JM 625, neither is worth the extra $$$. The JM 625 wouldn't even drop fired cases as the bores were still rough!

Now if they would come out with a newer version, say a CW 625, but it'd probably have to be made out of Aluminum to match Cliff Walsh's penchant for the Silver Bullets!

Edited by pskys2

Steel1212 has a sweet 4" 625 with extras, totally ready to shoot with a really nice trigger in the classifieds. Priced really right for a custom too.

The JM still needs trigger work, if you don't like the gold bead, a new sight, and really just has nice grips and a logo IMO.

Edited by fomeister