Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Roy D. Mercer drills

Flexmoney

DRILL 1:

Ensure that your gun is clear and that there is NO AMMO in the room that you are in.  Balance a dime on your front sight, dry-fire your gun.  Do this until you can complete 10 dry-fires in a row without the dime falling off.  Come back when complete.  Post here for the next drill.

(Edited by Flexmoney at 2:23 am on Mar. 21, 2002)

Its tough, focus on keeping the coin still, make the trigger pull secondary. Watch the coin intensely, start to pull the trigger, but more as incidental to keeping the coin balanced. If it starts to wobble, back off, but don't let off, and begin to take up the slack once it stabalizes.

Pat

I have read about this before but thought it was too easy till I actually tried it.  I've got as high as 5 in a row before it falls off.  It seems to be caused by the impact of the striker (or am I looking for an excuse ? )

Stock Glock 17

I start at a "ready positon", raise and extend, acquire the target and press".  In only falls off (1 out of 5 usually) when the gun goes klunk *grin*

Now try strong/weak hand only

Bill: you gotta do it DA only...no cheating by cocking hammer

Talon: Glocks are hard because of the striker...followthrough is a must.

For S&G's try it with something really tough...like a J-frame model 36 or 640 DA only or any really lightwieght gun.

Pat

Here's my results. S&W Model 10 round butt 3 inch with a post front sight. Trigger is 8# and smooth. Put dime on front sight & extend pistol in normal shooting grip. First time 10 straight & stopped. Then 27 straight, then 26 straight. I just keep the gun out and keep dry firing until the dime falls off. Tried it with a Taurus model 85 snubby. I put the dime on top of the frame because of the slanted front sight. I could keep it on for about 5 before the heavy hammer fall bounced it off.   I DID NOT use super glue.

Bill Nesbitt

This drill works the best with a Beretta's open barrel.  I started with a penny and then moved up to a dime.

It reall helped smooth my trigger pull but:

1. I only did it DA only so my DA shots got a lot better but my SA shots still were going high right which is the reason I started to do the drill in the first place. SO do SA pulls also.

2. I got so focused on just keeping the penny on the gun that I lost transference to the trigger pull.

• 2 months later...