Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington 1100 Or 1187 Or Rem Master 1100??

pmd

Looks like I caught the shotgun bug.

Shot my first 3 gun match yesterday and have decided I'd like to build/buy a shotgun for three gun shoots and Bowling pin shoots.

I am a firm believer in getting quality and I do like "bells and whistles".

What Remington platform is better? 1100 or 1187 - I have been told that the 1187 has a better gas system??

I'd like to build/buy a 12gauge shotgun right the first time. I'd like to have a proper recoil butt pad, ext. tube, and would also like it to be ported (magna ported...?).

So since I am a "neophyte" in the shotgun world - what do you recommend I look for or build?

Many Thanks!

PMD

the 1187 has a thicker extractor, in addition you get a stainless mag tube... downside it might take some tuning to get the 1187 to shoot lighter loads (I had to block one of the release ports)... you get a 3inch platform which requires more bolt travel to hit the ejector... might be reliability problem with light loads... it is available with a vent rib 21inch barrel (special purpose/turkey) with factory RemChokes.... lots of parts available... mag tubes, aftermarket synthetic stocks etc... regards Les

Get an 1100 and send it to either Briley, JP or Benny Hill and have them work their magic.

You can pick up used 1100's for under $300, fairly easy. Drop about another $400 and you can get all the bells and whistles from the guys above.

Check too the packages that I think all have, where the gun is included!!!

Rich

Well I came accross an 11-87 is excellent condition with some extras (xtra barrel, syn stock, bag of stuff....) at a very fair price. Sounds like I'll have to try some different loads to see what works/functions the best.

Here's a new question - The shotgun came with two barrels a ribbed 26" and a ribbed 30" that has been back bored (?) and ported.

Is the 30" barrel too long for shooting pins and plates?

Or should I send the 26" barrel out to get it ported...

Thanks in advance!

PMD

Porting puts you in Open in 3-gun. Depending on the match and what rules they use, either barrel could put you in Open as well, due to the length.

The longer length is harder to swing around ports, doors, or other props at 3-gun matches. But I have seen some >30" barrels, so it depends on the match.

Hmmm, pins? Shotgun? Never tried that one.

Lee

pmd... If you go to Kyle's match expect to shoot out of a small car (1 to 3 small cars) from the drivers seat, shotgun in the passenger's seat and from a variety of very confined spaces, typically upside down... I chopped my 26inch to a 21inch after the first year.... At Jeff's match, see comments for Kyle's match... regards Les