Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Is The Better Finish For My1911

shadetree

I've been thinking about refinishing my para but am not sure what finish to go with. Some tell me that hard chrome is the only way to go because it is so hard and slick. others tell me that because it is so hard it is brittle and tends to crack and split. These people suggest satin nickle because it is softer it does not tend to crack and that it is also more resistant to corrosion.

Also if you ad a finish like this to a looser gun do you think it would help to tighten it up a little bit with out any other modifications.

I would apriciate any info I can get on this subjuect.

I've never seen hard chrome split or crack but I only use Metaloy. It will rust though if not given just a little bit of care. Hard chrome is the very best finish for a competition and most other types of guns. Make sure you've done all the work on it your going to first. You can ask the plater to build up an area if you need to but it won't fill up a huge gap. Another thing to keep in mind is that hard chrome will show any flaws in your gun so make sure the cosmetics are right first.

So far it looks like chrome is by far the most popular answer. My next question is If Chrome is supirior why don't more manufatureers use it?

Also Who would be the best place to have it chromed and would I be betteroff sending it myself or througha gunsmith so it could be checkedout before I got it back?

If Chrome is supirior why don't more manufatureers use it?

Because it would add about $100 to the price of each gun.

Because most people don't handle their guns extensively dry-firing and don't even use holsters and don't fire a lot of rounds practicing or training.