Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gaming A Stage

Looking for independant opinions here, tell me what you think.

I shot at a club match today, had never shot with these guys before. It was a 5 stage steel speed shoot.

One of the stages had five plates, about 30-35 feet out. Two plates on the left, upper and lower on a pole. Two plates on the right, upper and lower on a pole. Stop plate center low.

Local club shooters were shooting a variation of high left, low right, high right, low left, stop. Some reverse, low right, high left, etc etc.

When I read the course discription I wondererd why they were shooting in this order, I asked and was answered 'because thats the way we do it".

When called to the line I asked the RO to read the stage discription.

...may start on any plate

...manditory ONE diagonal transition

...stop plate

All the locals were shooting giving 2 1/2 diagonal transitions.

I shot the stage..Lower left, upper left, diagonal trans. to lower right, upper right, stop. This gave me only 1 1/2 transitions.

Some of the previous squad members complained, and even the RO didn't like it but agreed it met all the written requirements of the stage discription.

Your thoughts.

I don;t see any problems..if you met the course requirments as stated by the stage description, I would say you are in the spirit of the course of fire..just because its the way its always been done..doesn;t mean its the right way or the fastest way..

course you are now a gamer :D

Sounds good to me. In ipsc, " Gaming " is a word used by those who can't think of their own way too shoot a stage. This sport is " Freestyle " and it is stipulated by course descriptions and shooting possisions. If it is not written or stated in the course description and doesn't break safety or other rule book issues then it is fair game, even if you are the only one that thought of it. I get sick of hearing " Well, the intent was " or " Everyone else just knew ".

Rant Off !

You fullfilled the requirements of the COF, by the way you deemed quickest.

What's to complain about ? It's not like you fired into the berm just to get the required number of rounds. That in my book is taking things too far.

Shoot the targets in the way you think is most efficient, unless otherwise dictated by rules.

Just my .o2.

Travis F.

They are just upset because you figured it out better than they did. When I set up a stage I love to leave little things open for the/me gamers, love it. Gaming is the fun part of this game, think the GM's don't do it. you can game my stages any time you like and i will tell you, I wish I shot it that way.

Have a great turkey day. :D WELCOME aboard.

If they don't like it, ask them WHY they do it the way they do, ie: the wrong way? If they can't come up with a reason better than "that's the way we do it", I think you'll have proved your point. And if "the way we do it" is SOOOOO important, why doesn't the stage description call for 2 diagonal transitions?

• 1 month later...

I Have only been a member of USPSA for about a year. One of the biggest reasons I joined was for the the way you are forced to use your brain. Not only do you have to be a good shot but you must be able to think your way through the stage. If you can figure out a way to get through more efficiently than the others, more power to you!

Is this more "gamey"?

Stage description: Start holstered, with strong hand on doorknob. On start signal, open door and enter the shooting area to engage targets.

So my buddy, on the start, lets go of the knob, draws with his strong hand as he uses his weak hand to open the door, thereby saving muchos segundos.

If the intent was to force extra movement of the strong hand before the draw, the stage description worked.

If the intent was to force the shooter to open the door with his strong hand, the stage description failed.

In neither case did the shooter fail to meet the course description requirements. What he did do was think out of the box, though in the latter case he may not have followed the designer's intent.

Course designer's faux pas, methinks.

Now, a real gamer would have the doorknbob twisted (thus unlatched) as he waits for the beep.

Dang..quit calling me names...

there was a stage we had where you had to shoot target left and right of a structure and then move through a maze to engage targets on the other side...

we just shot right. shot left and move outside of the structure back into the box and engaged....

saved a couple of zigs and a zag...dang we got called some names.. ....but points and time stood..

from a big time gamer.

I LOVE IT, GOOD JOB!!!!!! : :D

i would of done the same thing, and any one else that shot after my would of done the same thing. if they say they wouldn't, yeah right!!!!!

i have a island at low tide to sell them.