Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who shoots a Hi-Power is ESP?

A62335

Might be ok for IDPA but the # of rounds is usually the downfall of the P35....tried them at IPSC yrs ago...both cracked a frame in short order from sustained shooting..something over 15k rounds on the first and about 20k with the second..in comparison...went over 80k with my first 1911 before the IPSC guns wars started

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If somebody is planning on high round count competition & hot loads with a HP better to use one of the new cast frame guns. Way to tell is on the bottom of the mag well forged guns have serrations in the frame were the backstrap rolls over. Cast guns are smooth.

Way I handle it is use my BHP for carry and a few matches per year, shoot most competition with a S&W M&P. The modern plastic guns are better all around for match shooting. I just don't "like" them

Boats

• 3 months later...

I bought a Browning P35 from a friend when I came back from BMT & AF Security Police Academy in 1980.

I bought an Argentine .22 conversion unit for it from Sportsman's Guide a few years ago. The conversion unit works okay. I wish I could find a spare magazine for it.

I've shot the P35 in ESP class on IDPA classifiers twice, in 2007 and again last weekend. I've always liked the Hi Power, but I can't shoot it with my thumb atop the grip safety -- if I do, I get bit by the hammer or the slide.

I find the Hi Power to balance differently from my other guns -- it seems that the balance point is further back, giving the perception of being light in the nose. It's not a big deal to me -- just something I've noticed.

Somebody used to make brass magazine base plates for the Hi Power. I don't know who made them or if they're still available. Do you think the added weight of the brass base plate might help the mag eject more positively?

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the Hi-Power also.

I try to take it to a couple of matches every year. When I shoot it there arent to many others in the match with it but I like it so I shoot it!

I used to shoot a FEG Hi-Power in ESP and did real well with it. It has a welded up beavertail, a nice crisp 3 lb trigger, wide extended safety, and had the magazine disconnector deactivated (didn't know it was illegal). I shoot it almost as well as my STI 2011 9mm. The only downside I see to it is it has a smaller mag well. I'm a trigger slapper so the trigger reset is not a big deal to me.

tightloop, were the frames you cracked the new cast frames or the older forged frames?

I have never seen a cracked cast frame. Forged some are pretty old guns and no telling what sort of loads they were subject too over the years. 9MM cast there should be no issues.

Boats

I saw a guy shoot a hi-power in an IDPA match last Saturday.

First time I've seen it in years.

It can happen.

There are two shooters that shoot the Hi-Power where I shoot. One has had feeding issues.

I saw a guy shoot a hi-power in an IDPA match last Saturday.

First time I've seen it in years.

It can happen.

There are two shooters that shoot the Hi-Power where I shoot. One has had feeding issues.

My two BHP's are extremely reliable - no feeding issues. Unless I do something wrong

with the reload, or one of the mags is very dirty or not working correctly.

Same with mine it's a reliable Auto Pistol, I used to have an old HP now fairly new MK II it's more reliable than my striker action S&W M&P 9L Striker action guns don't hit primers hard. Reloading all my 9mm's no doubt some of the M&P fails to fire are primer seating issues. However exposed hammer will pop most anything. The new HP's have no feeding issues either. Have owned and several Colt and GI 1911's and they have feeding issues at times. The HP never has been fussy about handloads. I never push the guns limits with hot ammo and expect no problems with my forged MK II frame.

If you like it shoot it is my opinion. IDPA it's less about the gun more about the shooter.

Boats

Shoot my BHP in local steel matches. Original barrel did not provide the groups I wanted so I replaced it with an Olympic Arms barrel. This cut my groups in half with no reliability issues. Use the Argentine 17 round mags with perfect reliability. My only issue with the gun is that everyone wants to buy it off me.

Respectfully,

JW