Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help choosing ambi-safety

rupture

I recently got an open gun, my first gun with thumb safeties. It came with the swenson safeties with the slide guard . These things are crushing my index finger. If the thumb rest was not so wide it would be fine. Should I relief it or get a new one. Maybe a high ride? Suggestions on new ones or how to cut it please. Thanks

I have to relieve the underside of most ambis to provide clearance for my trigger finger. If I don't, I actually can get enough upward pressure on them to partially engage the safety (bad thing). A Dremel tool with a sanding wheel (120 grit) will take care of it quickly. Follow the sanding wheel with one of the gray metal polishing wheels (not sure what they call them actually)....those will take off a little material, but do it slowly. That'll get rid of the grooves from the sanding wheel. Follow up with a polishing felt and some rouge and you're done. R,

I just did the same thing, bought my first Open gun with the Swenson thumb safety and it really bothers me also. I engaged the safety 3 - 4 times with my right index finger while shooting a stage. I took a Dremel tool and tapered it down and then used some 600 grit emory paper followed by a light polishing compound. It looks good and is better than it was, but I am still not sure about keeping it. I have used the ambi thumb safeties for years without a problem but this one is different.

thanks,

George

I have to relieve the underside of most ambis to provide clearance for my trigger finger. If I don't, I actually can get enough upward pressure on them to partially engage the safety (bad thing). A Dremel tool with a sanding wheel (120 grit) will take care of it quickly. Follow the sanding wheel with one of the gray metal polishing wheels (not sure what they call them actually)....those will take off a little material, but do it slowly. That'll get rid of the grooves from the sanding wheel. Follow up with a polishing felt and some rouge and you're done. R,

+1 <_< What GMan says

I've gone away from ambi's because my index finger knuckle can kick on all but the thinnest levers(3 serrations or less). When I need to fit ambi's, I use the cut off wheel on my dremel to cut away half the thickness of the paddle, then blend and shape with Brownells MX wheels.

Well,

I solved this dilemma in another way. Just left Swenson on the right side and put Dawson on the right. It works well :)

BTW, is it possible to find on the market the safety made in, let's say, "Swenson style" but by another producer ?

The one Nemo suggested works well - I still have to cut the off side down to a sliver and relieve the back/rear to keep from knocking it up.

Being a left handed shooter it's definitely a must for me. Only brand I've ever used is the Ed Brown type and they have worked out well for me. I have them installed on my Colt as well as my Para.