Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have a Dillon 650 with a KISS Bullet Feeder

If all is going well I can get 1000 or maybe a bit more rounds per our out of my 650 loading at a responsible pace. Still there is usually something causing stoppages that slows me down, and I’m sure my neighbors hear me swear. I reload in pretty high volume so would a 1050 with a bullet feeder speed me up enough to be worth it? Will it jam up less, crunch less cases, etc? Thanks.

As Boz said, the primer system alone is worth the change. Remember, you can sell your 650 to help subsidize the 1050 purchase, and it is a much better system in my opinion. I started with a 650, and now that I have a 1050, I can't imagine going back.

But, either choice you make is a good one, as both are Dillon's :bow:

No priming on the up stroke so the primers set very evenly.

Meaning...? The shell plate is held level, since all the dies are engaging?

I've never had an issue with seating primers on the 650. I have ripped the metal on a shell plate from the pressure of seating the primer.

No priming on the up stroke so the primers set very evenly.

Meaning...? The shell plate is held level, since all the dies are engaging?

Meaning that primer depth is actually a setting on the press, not something determined by how hard/far you push the handle forward. There's a punch that you adjust that controls seating depth. You tend to get a much more consistent primer depth than on a 650 or 550. I've never been able to seat primers as deep on my 550 as I've seen done on a 1050 (I don't have a primer depth problem on my 550, either, but...). Its also much lower effort to seat primers, since its done with much greater mechanical advantage...

The downside of the 1050 is that you also get to screw stuff up far more quickly - and its tempting to just try to fill that loaded round bin up, but if something goes wrong (like your powder measure fails and stops dropping powder), you've suddenly got a big ol' box of ammo that's questionable...

Eventually, I'll own a 1050 w/ KISS, but I'll be keeping my 550 for other purposes ;)

• 2 weeks later...
If all is going well I can get 1000 or maybe a bit more rounds per our out of my 650 loading at a responsible pace. Still there is usually something causing stoppages that slows me down, and I’m sure my neighbors hear me swear. I reload in pretty high volume so would a 1050 with a bullet feeder speed me up enough to be worth it? Will it jam up less, crunch less cases, etc? Thanks.

It will give you much more trouble, more jams that are actually harder to recover from, and more fatigue, as it requires substantially higher force to operate. I have three 650's and one Super 1050, and neither 650 ever exhibited the level of problems I have seen in the 1050. Plus the 1050 clunks ugly when you pull the handle up - extremely disappointing in a machine of that price category. Response from Dillon - the usual "they all do it!". Well, they shouldn't.

Priming on down stroke is nice, but when it jams, it is incredibly hard to recover. And jam it does from time to time.

Using the 650 by comparison is extremely easy, and virtually flawless. It is also pretty much noiseless, while the 1050 ratchets and clunks along loudly.

I bought the 1050 because I love machinery, but I do not recommend it to most people. If I were you, I would buy two more 650's, so you would not have to change calibers.

Edited by Foxbat

I have 21 years use on a RL1050B and almost 16 years on my first 650, both still deliver sterling service and are fine examples of the benefits of buying quality.

My observations so far:

1) As a pistol only press ,the Super1050 is not as nice to use as the RL1050B.

2) The 650 has a lot to offer, but is still a peg or two below the Super 1050.

I have 3 XL650's, a SDB and RL1050B - I have just taken delivery of a new Super1050........ unfortunately Dillon don't make the RL1050B anymore !

Edited by Service Desk