Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Complaints about "Primer Hoarding"

Mark K

This is not about people that Kid/joke about Primer Hoarding. It it about the constant whining by some about "all the people hoarding primers".

This is akin to complaining about people that fill up their gas tanks each week, as well as having a gas can or two at home for emergencies by someone the only puts $5 worth of gas in their cars just before they run out.

I plead guilty - I am fairly new to this game (2yrs?) and reloading (about the same). When I buy bullets I buy 10K or so at a time. When I buy powder, I buy 16+ pounds at a time, when I bought primers in the past, I bought 20K at a time or so. When it looked like things might get tight last year, I doubled up. Not so that I could keep someone else from getting them, but so that I would be PREPARED should there be an interruption in the supply. I keep a basic reserve of most items, and when I start to run low, and see something available, I buy it. I do not send out an email to everyone saying "hey, I see some of XXX available, does everyone have all they want? I want to buy some more of it."

No, I am not some wacko survivalist or mall ninja. I am prepared however, or at least try to be. I have emergency food and water stored in the house in case a disaster of some kind occurs, I am prepared. I have a portable generator, in case the power is out more than a few days. I am prepared. AND I have ammo loaded up in case I get busy and don't get ammo loaded up before a match. I am prepared.

Hoarding to me is when you buy things and just hold on to them no matter what. I am not a hoarder, I am prepared with supplies of things I use.

O.K. off my soapbox.

Mark K.

Edited by Mark K

so......does this mean you have primers for sell? :D

Just kidding!

I wish I would have listened to everyone when the "sky is falling" speech went out. I too am new and am now paying the price. Our shooting fun will come to an end if things don't pick up soon. We are down to less than 1K of primers for two of us shooting almost every weekend.

Congrats on being prepared! :cheers:

You sound prudent. Don't sweat the small stuff. Some folks who could have, chose not to leave New Orleans even though Katrina was coming. That was NOT prudent. You have primers, not really that many when you think of how much we shoot every year. I though that 8lbs of powder was alot last year. This year I think I didn't buy enough when I project my usage. NOT prudent.

You see even I can see the error of my ways . If others cannot and want to blame you , they can pound sand.

Jimmy

Over several years I would buy a sleeve of primers from vendors at matches I attended. Saved shipping and supported those who supported our sport. When you attend numerous matches each year, this added up fairly quickly. When the shortage hit, I had a really good supply on the shelf and fortunately have not had to get into panic mode. At some point I need to try to resupply, but hopefully the situation will ease in the near future.

Gary