Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I thought I'd seem something on this, but a forum-wide, title only search for "trademark" didn't return any results.

I've been told I need to trademark "Slide-Glide." I know some googling will turn up some results... But I'm looking for specific advice from those who have trademarked a name on the best way to procede.

Thanks in advance.

be

If you want it done "right" and have the time and $$, go find a good trademark lawyer and just get it done that way.

You can do it yourself but the lawyer makes it a bit less painful in time spent, and makes sure you cover all of your bases.

I normally don't recommend a lawyer but, in this case...I think it is the best way to go. I would be willing to bet that there are a couple "lawyers" on the board that could help out or point you to someone good :D

I am looking to trademark something in the next few months and that was the advice I was given for when I "got serious about it." In your case, I would say you are "serious about it" :D

You can file yourself using the forms at www.uspto.gov or hire an attorney specializing in such issues.

All standard warnings of attempting to do legal work without counsel hereby incorporated by reference and enumerated as if included in full.

You can do a trademark yourself. Is is mostly self-explanatory on www.uspto.gov. In the meantime, you can add a small "TM" following the use of the words "Slide-Glide," which indicates your claim to ownership of the term. If you want it done correctly the first time, seek advice of counsel.

"No representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers, blah, blah, blah."

Brian,

It has been a couple years for me but I think it is too late for you to trademark "Slide Glide". I think you have only 12 months from when you first shipped it across state lines in order to submit a registration.

In the interim, you would have needed to put a preliminary protection of "TM" on the what you wanted to trademark. Sort of like a "Patent pending" , then pending portion will be taken away when the patent is granted just like the TM would go away when the trademark is issued and replaced with an "R" with a circle around it.

worth a try on the uspto.gov

also, if you wanted protection in other countries, you will need to retain an agent in that country to do your filing.

I have done several trademark searches for clients, and I have seen instances where marks for the same name were issued to separate companies selling different type products. The "Slide Glide" listing on uspto.gov appears to be for furniture casters/rollers, and not for a lubricant.

I have done several trademark searches for clients, and I have seen instances where marks for the same name were issued to separate companies selling different type products. The "Slide Glide" listing on uspto.gov appears to be for furniture casters/rollers, and not for a lubricant.

And usually those get issued as a result of the owner of the trademark signing a consent form.

When I get those requests, I ALWAYS deny use and contact the prospect letting them know my interest in protecting my intellectual property.

And usually those get issued as a result of the owner of the trademark signing a consent form.

When I get those requests, I ALWAYS deny use and contact the prospect letting them know my interest in protecting my intellectual property.

Agreed!

Brian, good luck to you.

• 2 weeks later...

I am an attorney and have done trademark applications.

As for Legal Zoom, I would stay very, very far away from them or any non-attorney claiming to provide legal services. They are not attorneys and are giving legal advice without a license.