Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building a new lightweight AR upper...

Xfactor

I have a Sun Devil lower that I've been intending to match-up with a lightweight upper to use at matches favoring run-n-gun style stages...

I'd like to start with a good quality (but light) upper... possibly a Sun Devil, or something similar. The big question mark is the barrel: I'd like to find a nice light 16" mid-length barrel... Wylde chamber, & probably 1:8 twist... not sure about Chrome-lining or not, as I don't want accuracy to suffer much. Any recommendations?

Also, not sure what to use for a gas block... preferably something low profile to fit under a Clark carbon fiber hand guard.

To round things out, I'll go with a SureFire comp, and JP lightweight bolt/carrier and buffer.

Thanks,

Edited by Xfactor

I have a Sun Devil lower that I've been intending to match-up with a lightweight upper to use at matches favoring run-n-gun style stages...

I'd like to start with a good quality (but light) upper... possibly a Sun Devil, or something similar. The big question mark is the barrel: I'd like to find a nice light 16" mid-length barrel... Wylde chamber, & probably 1:8 twist... not sure about Chrome-lining or not, as I don't want accuracy to suffer much. Any recommendations?

Also, not sure what to use for a gas block... preferably something low profile to fit under a Clark carbon fiber hand guard.

To round things out, I'll go with a SureFire comp, and JP lightweight bolt/carrier and buffer.

Thanks,

I just put a Sabre 18" fluted competition barrel on one of my ARs and I don't think the barrel weighs any more than the 16" Govt. profile barrel that I took off. The Sabre has a mid-length gas system. JP makes a 16" light contour barrel that might be what you are looking for. Many good options out there, you just have to decide how much you want to pay and how long you want to wait.

Doug

I'll second the Sabre barrel. It's actually a midweight, but being fluted it's lighter than any other midweight. You can get it in either 410 stainless (probably a little more accurate) or 4150 Vanadium. The 410 is a 1-8, the Vanadium is 1-7. I have an 18" and a 20", they shoot as good as they look.

The Sabre barrel is a great choice.

I have a CMMG lightweight 16" middy upper that's very nice and light. However, it's not my first choice for a 3 gun rifle - the light weight makes it bounce around more than my other uppers.

I just put together a 16" lightweight. Cav Arms lower, Bushmaster superlight upper. I've only put 1 mag through it so far. Seems like it will be a good gun, but probably not for competition. Comes back pretty good for a comp gun. I don't have a comp on it, though, and that might help. This is more of a camp or truck gun, anyway. And it isn't a middy, which might be a little less harsh. For the record, I had a CMMG lightweight upper on order, but they discontinued their lightweight barrels, and were dragging their feet filling my order. So, I found out BM had them in stock, then cancelled my CMMG order and went with the Bushy.

As far as chrome accuracy goes, I have a 20" Bushy that shoots 1" groups at 100 yds with most good ammo. I use it for the 500 - 700 yard targets at Ironman. It gets all the accuracy you need in a 3gun rifle. If that barrel wasn't lined, it might get 3/4" groups (big whoop!). I think the chrome is worth it for the longer barrel life.

I have a JP upper with their 16" light contour barrel. It, of course, shoots like a laser and is very handy & pointable.

Is the 16" JP a middy or rifle length?

How much softer shooting is a rifle length gas system than a middy?

• 4 weeks later...
I have a JP upper with their 16" light contour barrel. It, of course, shoots like a laser and is very handy & pointable.

Oops, sorry missed your question. The 16" JP is a mid-length gas system. It also has an adjustable gas block so you can fine-tune it. My JP is pretty soft shooting but I don't have a similar rifle length system to compare against, sorry.

Side by side identical rifles except for the gas systems, trust me, you will choose the rifle gas gun!

Take care.

I've used a Bushie 16" superlight on a Cav lower. VERY light set up. For a 16" light barrel, chrome lining will affect accuracy enough to be of concern. a 16" superlight isn't, chrome or not, isn't what one would consider a precision barrel. That said, canyou shoot beyond the accuracy or a m4 profile or gov't profile barrel with your ammo?