Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

200 Gr. Ranier .45 Powder?

bigsaxdog

whatta youse guys use for 200 gr. jacketed? been loading clays for 230 gr. lead, works great and max load just makes power factor+.published max is under power factor for 200, and i chrono'd it in my 6" caspian last nite, and it was right, 4.3 making high 700's. just built this gun, it's kinda mushy feeling, and i bet the 200 grainers would make it a little more snappy. how about some recommendations for what kind of powder? titegroup looks pretty good to me, just wonder what everybody else uses? trying to get a load that doesn't smoke so much. do a match in some wood-roof bunkers, with the sun behind you, shooting into shadows w/ black vis-queen barriers, after the first cast bullet shot, the haze is really bad, second shot is pretty much guessing. gotta beat these bastards....... <_<

Guest Larry Cazes

4.9 grains of WST loaded to 1.260" OAL using west coast 200 grain RN plated makes 168pf. Very clean and accurate. One of my favorite loads for .45 L10.

Larry

Stick w/ straight Clays. I know, I know, it says in the Hodgdon reloading book that Major velocity w/ a 200 is ABOVE the max load for .45 & Clays. I did it anyway for 2 seasons w/ WestCoast 200s. I never had a problem w. clays and a ramped barrel STI Edge in .45ACP. Use at your own risk. Clays is cleaner than Titegroup in .45ACP.

Regards, C.

PS:

BTW, if you look only at the reloading book, you will quickly realize you can't make major w/ .38 super; please inform everyone shooting open at your next match that they can't make major & to please stop immediately. Rules is rules. Never question authority.

• 4 weeks later...

Straight Clays; 4.2gr makes 169PF out of my Kimber singlestack using a 200gr. West Coast plated RN or SWC at 1.26". Sealevel, 75*, 80% humid.

This load with a SWC is accurate, soft shooting but quick, no smoke, and not to mention cheap!

Buy a chronograph it is the only way to find out in your gun, start low like 4.0 and work up 1 tenth of a grain at a time.