Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger 22/45 MK3

Northern Xtreme

I have a MKIII 22/45 and if you remove the mag safety, the mags will drop free.

Do do this I've installed a MarkII hammer and hammer bushing and replaced the parts, that's all.

Great, Thank you! Thats what I suspected the problem was. So just a hammer and hammer bushing?

I noticed a strange lever on the back of the trigger that I wondered about dremeling off, or I was going to replace the trigger with an adjustable Volquartsen type with set screws anyhow to take some of the awful creep and overtravel out of it.

Other than that are the MK3 mags fine?

Can you use MK2 mags?

I don't know if MKII mags will fit.

The MKIII hammer has a machined slot for the mag disconnect and the spring (part 36 and 37 on the parts diagram), when you just remove these parts the hammer will wobble. If you replace your hammer with a MKII version and a MKII hammer bushing the mag-disconnect is gone and it's done in a few minutes without modifying any parts.

I just looked at the Brownells website and it seems that the Mark II hammer bushings have been discontinued, but Clark also sells these bushings.

Here it's explained with pictures!

http://guntalk-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=634

Also usefull

http://www.rugerforum.net/showthread.php?p=167289

Edited by pevadijk

Here's how to make your own magazine safety spacer washers to remove that pesky magazine disconnect safety from a Mark III pistol. Use common tools found in most home workshops for this modification. No lathes or mills were used to make these spacers.

Tools: 1 pr large wire cutters (dike pliers)

1 fine bastard file

1 #2 Phillips head screwdriver

1 Meduim adjustable (Crescent) wrench

1 Drill press ( hand drill mounted carefully in a vise will work)

1 bench vise

1 Sharpie brand permanent marker

Materials: 2 #10 SAE flat washers $.06 ea. from local hardware store

1 Stainless countersunk machine screw

1 machine nut with integral star lock washer

Two SAE #10 flat washers will do the trick. You can use steel or stainless.

http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=387

• 2 weeks later...

OK I got the bushing from Clark.

Now I want to get a Volquartsen trigger kit because the stock trigger is sooo bad.

Should I order the MK2 or the MK3 trigger kit?

I would like the use bolt release because my kid has a little trouble releasing the stock one. But from an earlier post I got the impresion that the MK 2 kit release wouldnt work on the MK3.

Does anyone have any advise for me on this?

• 5 weeks later...
OK I got the bushing from Clark.

Now I want to get a Volquartsen trigger kit because the stock trigger is sooo bad.

Should I order the MK2 or the MK3 trigger kit?

I would like the use bolt release because my kid has a little trouble releasing the stock one. But from an earlier post I got the impresion that the MK 2 kit release wouldnt work on the MK3.

Does anyone have any advise for me on this?

The bolt release that comes in the trigger kits doesn't fit the MKII or MKIII 22/45's it is only for the MK Steel Frames.