Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Left Hand AR

COF

I've been working on putting a 6.8 upper together for my AR. I've got a LH DPMS receiver I bought a couple years ago to convert my AR to LH but decided to just build an upper. Bought a new DPMS barrel and all the other goodies to put it together. I didn't want to modify the stripped bolt that came with the receiver to 6.8 so I bought a Stag Arms LH bolt carrier assembly. That's when everything came to a screeching halt. I couldn't get the bolt to work in the receiver and discovered the DPMS LH upper is really a RH upper with the ejection port on the left side. The bolt still cams to the left like a RH. Stag's LH bolt cams to the right.

Right now I see my options as having a smith modify the stripped bolt for 6.8 - then I'm out the $185 for the Stag bolt assembly - or spend another couple hundred bucks and get a Stag LH receiver. I emailed DPMS and they don't make a true LH receiver nor do they make the 6.8 in LH. They also won't modify my stripped bolt for 6.8.

Any suggestions?

Jerry

I was gonna go the Stag route but bought a MegaMachine upper and added a bolt racker. This stopped the brass from hitting the right side of my face. It's also pretty damn fast as a lefty when you have an empty gun start w/ a bolt racker on a right handed gun.

DaG

I am not a lefty but I am married to one. She learned to shoot a rifle right handed and took a nice elk and has been shooting right handed ever since. I later bought her a left handed AR for Christmas and she asked me to take it back and get a right handed.

Shooting a rifle in the opposing hand is pretty easy to learn. You also get to make "strong hand" reloads.

Charles