Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 17 Trigger issue?

Jay6

Anyone know what might cause a G17 to double? This is happening to someone I know and they think it might be due to a trigger being too light and almost bump firing.

Personally I think it has to be the gun. Maybe need new springs? What used parts might cause a double?

The only time that I had true double issues was when I installed the striker safety spring sideways. The plunger provided just enough tension to allow the striker to reset and strike again without additional pulls of the trigger.

I'd look at striker and triggerbar engagement first.....

Any work to either of those parts?

What kind of work/spring changes to the gun?

Not sure. Buddy purchased it used and has been having the issue since then. I have not had a chance to loot at it yet but I will check that out.

If you put the extractor plunger spring in backwards, the safety plunger will catch on the extractor spring and cause the gun to double now and then. Really!

Honestly, I don't see that as possible, on several levels.

(1) It would entail removing both the extractor depressor plunger (the metal rod part) and spring loaded bearing (the little plastic part) from the spring and switching them around. (Names of parts from Glock's exploded diagram, natch.) Why would anyone ever do this?

(2) The spring is a bi-directional part, i.e. it's not any wider or narrower, or any differerent at all actually, on one end than the other. IOW, it doesn't make any difference which direction you put it inside the gun, which end you slide the metal piece into, which end you slide the plastic piece into, because both ends are the same. I mean, really, can you imagine the parts assemblers at Glock being told, "Now, be really sure you get this little spring right here installed the right way, or the gun will start doubling." Right.

(3) The extractor holds the entire spring assembly well behind the firing pin locking plunger anyway.

Really! ;)

Anyone know what might cause a G17 to double? This is happening to someone I know and they think it might be due to a trigger being too light and almost bump firing.

Personally I think it has to be the gun. Maybe need new springs? What used parts might cause a double?

Sounds to me like someone may have been taking a Dremel tool to this trigger system a bit too enthusiastically. :o

Duane,

Take out the extractor depressor plunger assembly, turn it around,put it back in the gun.

The gun will now double or go full auto sometimes because the firing pin safety is now catching in the down position on

the turned around extractor assembly spring.

When it catches, the firing pin will protrude from the breachface going into battery and give you a sometimes full auto glock!

No, it will not. Look at your Glock. Take the slide off the gun and look down inside the slide at the firing pin lock plunger. Memorize its position. Turn the slide to the side and look at the extractor and how far back the extractor body comes which is considerably behind the firing pin lock. Understand that no part of the extractor spring assembly may come forward of the rear of the extractor, since there is a big, solid, honkin' piece of metal (extractor) in its path stopping that from happening. The entire extractor spring assembly doesn't come anywhere close to the firing pin lock.

As to turning the entire extactor spring assembly around causing the gun to malf, I've actually run the gun for hundreds if not thousands of rounds with the extractor spring assembly backwards without a single problem, not even failures to extract much less doubling. Only even realized I'd put it back together again backwards the next time I detail stripped the piece and said, "Oops."

Well, I will say that I do pay attention to "metal to metal, plastic to plastic" since that's the "right" way. (Despite my one glaring failure in that arena.) But I will also say that, even the very first time I was told, "Turning the extractor spring assembly around will give you failures to extract," just applying common sense to that idea it didn't work for me. Why would the amount of pressure the spring assembly puts against the back of the extractor be any less just because the assembly is backwards? Whether it's steel forward/plastic back or the other way around, you still have a certain amount of spring assembly compressed exactly the same amount in the exact same length extractor spring assembly tunnel, right? Honestly, I would theorize the only reason the spring loaded bearing is plastic is to possibly avoid grooving the slide cover plate if a person doesn't depress the entire unit quite as much as they should during reassembly.

A true double is so fast you have to wonder "Did I really hear what I thought I heard", w/a bump fire you know 2 have been fired. My G17 has a 1 1/2 lb trigger in the heat of competition I was getting bump fire. TWO distinctive reports. A little discussion self to self and removing my head from a dark smelly place solved the problem.;)

No, it will not. Look at your Glock. Take the slide off the gun and look down inside the slide at the firing pin lock plunger. Memorize its position. Turn the slide to the side and look at the extractor and how far back the extractor body comes which is considerably behind the firing pin lock. Understand that no part of the extractor spring assembly may come forward of the rear of the extractor, since there is a big, solid, honkin' piece of metal (extractor) in its path stopping that from happening. The entire extractor spring assembly doesn't come anywhere close to the firing pin lock.

As to turning the entire extactor spring assembly around causing the gun to malf, I've actually run the gun for hundreds if not thousands of rounds with the extractor spring assembly backwards without a single problem, not even failures to extract much less doubling. Only even realized I'd put it back together again backwards the next time I detail stripped the piece and said, "Oops."

Duane,

I did what you told me to do, you are correct and I am wrong!

Here is the story.

I am a 1911 fan,still am.

Bought a Glock 17. Put maybe 500 rounds thou it. Took the slide apart for the first time, put it back together, went to the range, gun doubled sometimes then went full auto! Went back to the house, took the slide apart to discover the extractor spring assembly was in backwards,turned it around, went back to the range.

Gun has run fine since then.

I now realize the extractor should not have solved the problem. Maybe something trapped the safety plunger in the down position then came out?

Anyway,thanks for the heads up.