Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Set-up

Get'em Duck

:surprise:

My Caspian limited gun is 13 years old must have 80.000 rounds through it, put a new barrel in it last year shot it for a while and put the old one back in it,old one shoot s tighter groups, ive alllways run a 14 lb wolf variable recoil and a 18

mainspring I alos run a comonelli tungston frame saver guide rod in it. My single stack 45 caspian is fairly

new and I run a 15 variable and 18 main in it, it also has a comonelli tungston frame saver.My older

45 I sold it had the same set up in it. .

Jim/Paq

Sailors :):rolleyes::devil:

So, where does the engergy go? That is, if the hammer is more easily recocked, isn't the energy that could have been absorbed by the mainspring instead transferred to the shooter through the slide? I use a "heavy" (stock) mainspring for the same reason you use a light one. The energy is the same either way, but how the energy is "absorbed" or "transferred" is certainly different.

All I know is that early-on in this board's existence Pat Harrison mentioned that he thought the mainspring had more of an effect on perceived recoil and muzzle flip than the recoil spring which is why he runs a light one. Since what he said made logical sense to me, and it gibed with own experience of much lighter perceived recoil after switching out factory recoil/mainsprings for my preferred setup, I accepted that. I must admit I've never tried running the lighter variable power recoil spring with a stock 23-pound mainspring, I have always just replaced them both as a matter of course. I like the fact that the lighter mainspring, in addition to doing its bit to lighten trigger pulls, also makes the action easier to hand cycle and the hammer easier to thumb cock during dry fire. But I'll make a point of trying the light recoil spring/heavy mainspring combo. Maybe I'll learn something new. Always a worthwhile thing. Thanks! Even if the experiment is not a success - for me, anyway - it's going to be worthwhile knowledge to have. :)

Bob had a great article of tweaking the firing pin stop on his website (Brazos Custom )but, I just went to the article to link it and it has been removed.

Edit: Just found a synopsis of the article: You can adjust the speed at which your slide cycles by the bevel you put on your firing pin stop. The rounder you make this edge, the faster your slide will cycle and the more recoil energy it will maintain. EGW makes a firing pin stop that has a 90-degree ledge at the rear. The 90-degree edge slows down the slide and can be adjusted to give you the slide speed you are looking for.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Edited by baerburtchell

Was shooting the 2009 Illinois sectional with Ted and Manny and I've always run 13lb regular rate recoil springs with 18lb mainsprings for the 165 pwr fact , be it 40 or 45.

Now I haven't tried it but Ted suggests and he is currently running ,11lb vaiable rate recoil springs with 17lb mainspring with an aluminum shock buff. He says the gun tracks so well with that setup and cycles so smoothly that its the best setup he found and he has tried alot of combos. he also says him and manny have even been shooting factory Blazer ammo with that setup and it isn't beating up the gun yet.

I thnk I am going to give it a try.

I am using a well worn 16lb. spring (with a Wilson buff) with a 17lb mainspring with two coils cut off. I am using 200gr Precision bullets over 5gr of Titegroup for 173pf. I have played around with different recoil springs (up to 18lb and down to 12.5) without any reliability issues. I came back to the 16lb because of how my gun settles in my hands with this load. Try putting up a target at 10ft, draw and fire 5 or 6 shots as fast as you can and see if the muzzle is climbing, dipping or comming back to the first hole. If the muzzle rises, try a heavier spring, if it dips, use a lighter spring.

Hope this helps,

Hurley

Edited because I can't spell or proofread.

Edited by HRider