Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drills or Techniques before a match

converse15

Every match when i shoot the first stage its generally a disaster. I will generally shoot at my normal level later but always butcher the first stage. Its generally me just not focusing on the sights and locking in on the targets and kinda point shooting. I can slow down and shoot slow on the first stage and really focus on the sights but feel this is not competive, wanna keep my normal spped through out the match. So does anyone have any pre-match drills the do the morning of the shoot or right before the match or any suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Do you dryfire at home? If so, get up a little earlier and have another practice session before you leave for the match to loosen things up.

If you don't dryfire...than you need to start. Practicing before a match is like cramming for a final exam: If you were paying attention all semester long then a refresher will be of some use. If you skipped class all semester long it is already too late.

dry fire or not, for me this is a classic case of fear of failure. Its more of a mind game. Just last Sunday I was in a local IPSC match when my companion shooters asked me where is the best stage to start. In the group I was the better shooter so they were asking for a sort of guidance. I replied that it was up to them where we shoot first. They choose a 9 rnd speed shoot. 2 full board, 2 half board and a round plate as targets. I felt fear and apprehension creep inside me that I might bungle the stage. But i went ahead w/ the group and to top it off, they wanted me to be the 1st shooter in the squad. So there I went, prepared and stood on the line...one thing I noticed, there was no place for FEAR in my mind when I was busy preparing and then waiting for the beep... score was all A! When the final scores were posted after the match, I had the best time for the stage. As RW Emerson said ...do the things you fear and the death of fear is certain...

Its generally me just not focusing on the sights and locking in on the targets and kinda point shooting.

And, you see how that is working out for ya? :)

I can...really focus on the sights but feel this is not competive...

Do you shoot with any really good friends? If you have a real good buddy, ask him to kick you in the nuts every time you say something like that.

++++++++++++++++++++=

Now, realize this.

You don't have to slow down....forget that.

Just use the sights.

Max and Travis wrote about match preparation either here or on their website, I think. Lanny Bassham talks about it also. The challenge you are facing is that your are ending your day and going to a match. So your mind and body normally would be going into relaxation mode. Then one day during your work week, you go and shoot a match. So in reality you have to overcome your natural tendency to start relaxing and getting focused on shooting.

You can do many things to 'jump start' the mental and physical processes to prepare for the match. A short jog with start the heart pumping faster, stretching will help your muscles get more blood. Mentally, some dry firing at the safety area will help. You might try not to be the first shooter on your squad. Let others show you the way, if you will. In the safety area, pick three spots, then go back to the fundamentals; draw, follow-through, transition the eyes, then gun, follow through, transition eyes then gun, follow through. You do not have to push on this drill. Just focus on doing everything correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

I did lots of dry firing before every match. Usually some at home then some more at the range. But my Temperament needed that. Robbie hardly ever dry fired before a match. He didn't need to he just shot.

I used to have a tendency to blow the first stage, especially at local matches (but shooting against Robbie and some other tough customers). I really improved that by telling myself, a few times just before shooting - to just relax and cruise through the stage with a top 5 or so score. Do it. That got me actually winning a few first stages.

be

Its generally me just not focusing on the sights and locking in on the targets and kinda point shooting.

And, you see how that is working out for ya? :)

I can...really focus on the sights but feel this is not competive...

Do you shoot with any really good friends? If you have a real good buddy, ask him to kick you in the nuts every time you say something like that.

:roflol:

++++++++++++++++++++=

Now, realize this.

You don't have to slow down....forget that.

Just use the sights.