Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jacobs ladder

dkleskiw

http://www.jacobsladderexercise.com/home.html

So there used to be one of these at the local YMCA. But they 'improved' the YMCA and got rid of the machine. <_<

Let me tell you, it is not as easy as it looks.

I knew I was done when there was a sweat line from where I was on the machine down to the bottom ( after only about 15 minutes). Gross, but true. (And yes, I sprayed and wiped up.)

So if you see one, try it out. It's good for variety and to incoporate into a regular routine.

And for anyone who has tried it, your thoughts?

Not that, but something similar back in the 80's - it was a self-powered set of "stairs" that had a friction adjustment to make it go faster or slower.

The gym also had a chin up devise with a set of foot-loops attached to a counter-balanced platform. You could decrease or increase the amount of force required to do chin ups.

Very simple but very effective devices.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
If your job is going up and down ladders all day, I bet that would be a fantastic piece of equipment.

For some reason I don't think so because that would remind them of work. Think about it, how many would go out and bust their a$$ when they aren't going to get paid anymore. One thing I found out in the Military was that the more that you can/will do, the more that you will be given to do. Police rely on their guns to save their life and yours but how many practice on their own time.

For some reason I don't think so because that would remind them of work. Think about it, how many would go out and bust their a$$ when they aren't going to get paid anymore. One thing I found out in the Military was that the more that you can/will do, the more that you will be given to do. Police rely on their guns to save their life and yours but how many practice on their own time.

I don't disagree with anything you said....and that saddens me.

Easy is not good enough.

FWIW, my previous comment was almost entirely tongue in cheek lol. If you've read any posts I've made on fitness, you'd probably know that I believe this piece of equipment would serve a better use if it were melted down into manhole covers.

Jake, I understood the meaning but I wanted to post the obvious.

I think one of the biggest problems we have in America is because we don't exercise enough but I don't do it because I am lazy. Also as a 17 year old I was pushed to do more than I thought humanly possible and it was a stroll in the park for Rangers and green beanies. For 3 years we only walked when too tired to run any further or on that 50 mile fun walk in the woods. I no longer run very well or far but I do 3 miles 3 times a week on the treadmill with some strength training.

I firmly believe the obesity problem is from over availability of food and lack of work. As a kid in the late 40's early 50's I don't remember seeing 1/10 of the fat people I see today. First off it took lots of work to get the money for a piece of penny candy and there wasn't a fast food joint on every corner. White Castle had 19 cent burgers and Micky D was 15 cents and there was no such thing as a drive through. We used to come home do homework, eat supper and then play games outside until dark. Then we got a round 7" TV and all the kids started living at my house. Now kids have XBox or WII and eat fast food when/if it is delivered.