Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what division to shoot?

kimberacp

I would like to standardize my reloading components and 40sw seems like the way to go. But to me and only me in IDPA, CDP is the division to shoot. Maybe because its the hardest compared to the others.

I was hoping to get away from the 45 and go completely to the 40.

I dont know why HQ does not add the 40sw to CDP , (shooting major PF), like in USPSA, limited in rounds as in the CDP rules?

thanks, just my thoughts and I will probably next year shoot CDP with my 45! :rolleyes:

I'm not convinced that CDP is the hardest division to shoot, frankly. I've got the results of my training sessions to that prove to me I can fire a 1911 .45 just as well as a Glock 9mm. I can turn in pretty much identical scores on the classifier with both gun types. Draws, splits, transitions, accuracy, really not a lot to choose from there. Go ahead and shoot what you enjoy. If you enjoy the 1911 .45 more than anything else, have at it.

I think the reasoning behind keeping CDP .45 ACP-only is simply tradition. The 1911 .45 has a near-100 year history as an American military/civilian/law enforcement firearm. It was there at the beginning of "combat" pistol matches. Really it's THE classic competition gun for the sort of thing we do. People want to shoot it, but they don't want to compete against "equipment race" guns that actually may give the opposition an advantage. People want a division where it's just 1911 .45 vs. 1911 .45. And in Custom Defensive Pistol that's what they have. Personally I wouldn't want it any other way. Even though I have, in recent years, segued over into Stock Service Pistol with the Glock 9mm, still my early years in IDPA - USPSA too, for that matter - were spent with the single stack, iron sighted, 1911 .45 auto. I will always be glad I did it that way.

I don't believe CDP is the toughest IDPA division to shoot. The "start with 9 rounds and reload 8" can put you at a disadvantage to the "load 11 and reload with 10" guys in SSP and ESP (which you can negate to an extent if you master the RWR)... but the actual shooting isn't any tougher and recoil makes little difference.... and, one advantage to the .45 is that you can see the target hits better and know that you do.. or do not.. need to make up a shot. In terms of pure competition, however, I think SSP & ESP are where the "big boys" play. In terms of abiding by the rules and getting through a Sanctioned Match without a DQ on equipment, SSR is the toughest... just because of the rules on PF and gun weight. If you want to devote your time to .40 S&W and shoot the tough divisions... load it to Minor and play in SSP or ESP. Minor .40 is a "puff" load if you re-spring for it. If you're gun holds the 11 start, reload 10, you're on equal footing.

Chris Christian

I would say that ESP is tougher than CDP only for the fact that yo can "enhance" the gun plus you are shooting a lower power factor (well most are). That is from an equipment standpoint only as I would say that SSP is populated by more shooters and more shooters capable of winning as a Master.

If you want to load .40 only the get a .40 for ESP and have at it. You can even tailor th load to be very competitive against 9mm.

Edited by Strick

I would like to standardize my reloading components and 40sw seems like the way to go. But to me and only me in IDPA, CDP is the division to shoot. Maybe because its the hardest compared to the others.

I was hoping to get away from the 45 and go completely to the 40.

I dont know why HQ does not add the 40sw to CDP , (shooting major PF), like in USPSA, limited in rounds as in the CDP rules?

thanks, just my thoughts and I will probably next year shoot CDP with my 45! :rolleyes:

If you would like you could always shoot a .40 cal 1911 in ESP and use the same gun to shoot limited with major power factor is USPSA. ESP also has a lower power factor threshold at 125,000 vs 165,000 in CDP.

I changed over to SSR for the challenge of it. Round management requires you to focus on that front sight you just can't go back for any make-up shots. Well you can but that extra grab for the speed loader will take you from first to third in a major match.

They're all good.

I shoot them all, some a lot more than others. My opinion/ranking in terms of overall difficulty: ESR, SSR, SSP, CDP, ESP - which just about lines up with Classifier times.

Your accuracy will dramatically improve if you dedicate yourself to either of the revolver divisions for a year - I guarantee it.

Enjoy,

Craig

Do you just shoot Single Stack in USPSA? If those are the only 2 divisions in the games you shoot then I think .45 would be your answer. IDPA doesn't allow for anything but .45 in CDP, USPSA allows any legal caliber. With that reasoning if you pick .45 you'll be legal across the board. You could also shoot ESP with .40 if you chose to do so.

I'd shoot 40 in ESP and in USPSA single stack. Load the 40 minor for ESP. ESP can be a tough division. I'm with you....I wish 40 was allowed in CDP,but I don't ever see that changing for the reasons Duane stated....plus....they already have ESP for other calibers than 45 to play.

When I shoot IDPA...I used to shoot ESP although I really wanted to shoot SSP. But....I used the same gun I shoot in USPSA Production and I had stippled my grip. So.....I fell into ESP. There have been a couple of times I would have won SSP by a longshot but placed as far down as fourth overall in ESP.

Now I am shooting an M&P Pro which should allow me to compete in Production and SSP.

But......shooting 40 minor is fun. I actually prefer it to 9mm.....plus you get the bigger holes.

kimber,

I'm with you. I don't have any sentimentality for single stack 1911's in .45 ACP only having a holy division to shoot. Since the .40 can do 165 PF standing on it's head, I think the .40s shoud be allowed to compete in CDP (loaded to 8+1). Same with any other cartridge that can make 165 PF.

Koski

I used to think it unfair that full bore 10mm pistols were excluded from CDP, but now I like that CDP is a .45 division, only. It keeps a venerable and respectable class of pistol, that is still widely used as an CCW or service gun, from being "gamed" by the new-money riff-raff guns of lowly pedigree that mostly exist only in some esoteric, pusillanimous "gameland".

You gamin' gamey gamers, runnin your games to ruin ours. God game ya all.

:D

Ben

thanks for all the replies. And looking at some of the results from the local matches, I would have to say that SSP, is starting to look very appealing. I wanted a division where there would be alot of competition and not to expensive to reload for.

SSP with a Glock 17 "RTF" is what I had in mind to use.

I still think that CDP is the only way to go in IDPA but the cost of supplies is starting to be noticeable. I shoot more practice than what I do at matches. If it were the other way around, just shooting matches than I wouldn't complain.

I just cant see spending time and money at a match and not preparing for it.

But time will tell, this is next year and really the cost of 230gr bullets to 124gr is about 40-50 buck per thousand. Still need powder and primers...the cases are more.

But I did want to standardize my reloading supplies, I shoot 40 also, same powder and primers for 9 and 40.

anyways thanks to everyone.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not convinced that CDP is the hardest division to shoot, frankly. I've got the results of my training sessions to that prove to me I can fire a 1911 .45 just as well as a Glock 9mm. I can turn in pretty much identical scores on the classifier with both gun types. Draws, splits, transitions, accuracy, really not a lot to choose from there. Go ahead and shoot what you enjoy. If you enjoy the 1911 .45 more than anything else, have at it.

I think the reasoning behind keeping CDP .45 ACP-only is simply tradition. The 1911 .45 has a near-100 year history as an American military/civilian/law enforcement firearm. It was there at the beginning of "combat" pistol matches. Really it's THE classic competition gun for the sort of thing we do. People want to shoot it, but they don't want to compete against "equipment race" guns that actually may give the opposition an advantage. People want a division where it's just 1911 .45 vs. 1911 .45. And in Custom Defensive Pistol that's what they have. Personally I wouldn't want it any other way. Even though I have, in recent years, segued over into Stock Service Pistol with the Glock 9mm, still my early years in IDPA - USPSA too, for that matter - were spent with the single stack, iron sighted, 1911 .45 auto. I will always be glad I did it that way.

From a power factor standpoint CDP is the toughest. 125000 v 165000