Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun ? from a potential newbie

EMTCurly

Ok, went to 1 local gun shop today to price a new 625.....$850. (Didn't have any in stock. Heck they didn't think they made them anymore!) Hmmm, ok. Guess that price sounds about right. Right? Then he shows me a used .357. It's an older S&W 581. It's blued, fixed sights, etc....looks nice, felt nice...asking price $350. Not that I'm swayed to get a .357, but I guess it got me thinking...should I?

I know it's NOT a 625 and NOT a .45, but is it a dumb idea to consider it? Maybe a little cheaper to reload, is about 1/3 the price of a 625. Then let's say I find that a revolver isn't really for me. Then I'm out 350 bucks instead of almost a grand. Am I just talking crazy talk?

Ok, went to 1 local gun shop today to price a new 625.....$850. (Didn't have any in stock. Heck they didn't think they made them anymore!) Hmmm, ok. Guess that price sounds about right. Right? Then he shows me a used .357. It's an older S&W 581. It's blued, fixed sights, etc....looks nice, felt nice...asking price $350. Not that I'm swayed to get a .357, but I guess it got me thinking...should I?

I know it's NOT a 625 and NOT a .45, but is it a dumb idea to consider it? Maybe a little cheaper to reload, is about 1/3 the price of a 625. Then let's say I find that a revolver isn't really for me. Then I'm out 350 bucks instead of almost a grand. Am I just talking crazy talk?

Crazy talk? Probably not. As you will need a holster for either the 625 or the L frame, or maybe K frame. The out put will be extra just for the reloading dies for the 38 /357. You would have to get moonclips and or speedloaders anyway. Comp III's run about $15 to 18 a pop. You need six but can get by with 5, Moonclips for the 625 less than a buck a piece sometimes less. You need 30 can get by with 10 just have to remoon after each stage. If my gozintas is right, 850 + 30 is 880, 350 +90 + 40 for dies etc. is 480. About half of what it will cost. That is the math part, Which one feels better? Which one feels better when shooting? Is there anyone near you that shoots a revo in competition? Most revo guys will let you try their revo to see if you like it. And there are some indoor ranges that have guns to rent. We won't talk about the minor vx major stuff yet. To bad you don't live close to Cliff.....no maybe that's a good thing. later rdd

There really is no substitute for a 625 or 610 if you want to be competitive in USPSA Revolver. Period. That 581 is definitely a good buy, but if you do stick with it you'll end up getting a proper moonclipped N frame eventually.

There really is no substitute for a 625 or 610 if you want to be competitive in USPSA Revolver. Period. That 581 is definitely a good buy, but if you do stick with it you'll end up getting a proper moonclipped N frame eventually.

Or maybe Not...... :ph34r::sight::devil: Later rdd

If you are thinking about shooting IDPA as well as USPSA your barrel length choice is made for you - four inch is max in IDPA. A four-inch 625 is the gun for IDPA ESR and competitive in USPSA. If a guy beats you in USPSA using a 6 inch 625... it wasn't the arrow... it was the Indian. A striaght drop Blade Tech is an excellent holster for either game. If you opt for a 610 in four-inch for both games, check out the moon clip situation before you buy the gun. .40 S&W moon clips have been problematical, in my experience. If you opt for that S&W 581 with fixed sights, you will likely be changing guns within a year.

Chris Christian

If you are not going to shoot IDPA you don't want a new 625. They only come with 4" barrels. The $850.00 price is a little stiff for a 4" gun. Get in touch with Mike Carmoney (Carmoney on this forum). Send him an IM and see what he might have that he has worked his magic on. If you get a gun from him it will be ready to go for competitive shooting.

Or maybe Not...... :ph34r::sight::devil: Later rdd

OK, OK, I'll amend my statement and add: Unless you're Bubber and have hillbilly super powers!

• 1 month later...
If you are thinking about shooting IDPA as well as USPSA your barrel length choice is made for you - four inch is max in IDPA. A four-inch 625 is the gun for IDPA ESR and competitive in USPSA. If a guy beats you in USPSA using a 6 inch 625... it wasn't the arrow... it was the Indian. A striaght drop Blade Tech is an excellent holster for either game. If you opt for a 610 in four-inch for both games, check out the moon clip situation before you buy the gun. .40 S&W moon clips have been problematical, in my experience. If you opt for that S&W 581 with fixed sights, you will likely be changing guns within a year.

Chris Christian

I have a 610-2 and a 610-3 and have no problems with the ranch or scherer (spelling?) clips. Any problem I have had is been related to having glock brass mixed in with my revo brass. :surprise:

i have a comptac holster for my 610 that I use in ICORE and USPSA (when i decide to go again)

its a fast holster and I don't have to worry about the gun falling out.

and i use RIMZ clips in my 610 with no problems

Edited by ChrisC

I have a buddy who has a real nice S&W N Frame in .45 Colt, not ACP, and he had it cut for moonclips and now uses moonclipped .45 acp's in his .45 Colt with no problems. I'd love to have it!

I have a M29 I moonclipped and use 44 Russians in it and it runs great, just hard to find RN bullets (and NO Jacketed RN!) for it and the Moonclips are a bit more expensive and fragile.

But the big thing is to get something and get started. Ask around your local club, join an IPSC or ICORE Club and see if someone won't loan you there's for a bit. You might be surprised.