Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OAL 40sw

olp73

1.225" .... am I crazy??? Has worked fine in the schuman in my para.

Nope. I tested out to 1.260 (as I recall) and they worked fine in both my Edge and Trojan. R,

What magazines were you running in your Trojan for the 1.260 OAL???

Wilson 47NX, McCormick 10mm and Tripp System mags. Essentially all of those are .45 mags with tighter feed lip dimensions. You can load to 10mm or .45 OAL and have no problems. I may have actually tried 1.270, but can't recall. I know I went to 1.260 with no problems. That said, I'm loading for it and my Limited gun at 1.200". R,

Interesting, I'm running 1.155 in my Trip Mags for my Trojan. When I was at 1.180-1.185 they were getting stuck in the mag...

• 2 weeks later...

So what I am getting from reading the post from you guys is there is no problem with loading out to longer overall lengths. I measured my mags this weekend for 2 of my 40S&W pistols (SIG 226 and Springfield XD 40) and both mags showed an inside measurement of 1.180. I am thinking about lengthening my OAL to about 1.150 - 1.160. This would be splitting the difference between the stock OAL (1.125 - 1.135) and what the mags will take at max (1.180). The other thought that comes to mind is that making this change would neccessitate a change in the setting for the taper crimp die. Anything special to consider with that?

Thanks in advance for the help, I have been reloading for a while but I have learned a ton in just the short time I have been a part of the BE forums.

It depends on the bullet style I think.. If you have a long hollow point with no bearing surface outside the brass, I can load to an OAL of 1.255" which is just a few thousanths shorter than internal mag length. These chamber just fine in my Para P16. If I am loading Bear creek Truncated Cone bullets, I can't load any longer than about 1.190" since the bearing surface contacts the rifling of the barrel. I think I settled on 1.175 - 1.180 for 180 TC's and just to keep things consistent, the same goes for 180 SWC's. I can use the same bullets in my 610 loaded to this OAL since it is actually set up for a 10 mm cartridge. In most cases, I try to seat them as far out as I can to match mag length. In my Sig, the same 180's will not be seated any longer than 1.135" or basically SAAMI max OAL.

• 3 months later...
1.225" .... am I crazy??? Has worked fine in the schuman in my para.

Nope. I tested out to 1.260 (as I recall) and they worked fine in both my Edge and Trojan. R,

What magazines were you running in your Trojan for the 1.260 OAL???

Wilson 47NX, McCormick 10mm and Tripp System mags. Essentially all of those are .45 mags with tighter feed lip dimensions. You can load to 10mm or .45 OAL and have no problems. I may have actually tried 1.270, but can't recall. I know I went to 1.260 with no problems. That said, I'm loading for it and my Limited gun at 1.200". R,

Interesting, I'm running 1.155 in my Trip Mags for my Trojan. When I was at 1.180-1.185 they were getting stuck in the mag...

I realized this was happening because the Tripp 40S&W mags have a spacer inside them that limits the OAL. So I bought the 10mm Hybrid Tripp Mags to load much longer OALs!

Mine are 1.26" with 180gr Black Bullets. I load them long for Clays. (3 gr)

Shoots great and feeds every time from my G35.

How are you getting those rounds into Glock magazines? :blink:

I've never had trouble getting them in. :unsure:

Should they NOT fit?

Should they NOT fit?

Sure you don't mean 1.126?

Should they NOT fit?

You are correct...my bad. :blush:

1.126" is the correct number.

Should they NOT fit?

You are correct...my bad. :blush:

1.126" is the correct number.

Makes sense now. I load to 1.130" for my Glock and can't imagine 1.260" even coming close to fitting!