• 2 weeks later...

i handled one the other day.

pros:

trigger is nice

its light and comes in 357

reasonably priced

cons:

too much end play

i didn't like all the end play in the cylinder. as you closed the cylinder it touched the receiver causing it to either stop or have to move forward on the yoke to close.. I was simulating a reload and it didn't always close.. no bueno

the gun shop had 2 brand new, one 38 and one 357 and both had a lot of end play...

pros:

trigger is nice

reasonably priced

cons:

too much end play

i didn't like all the end play in the cylinder. as you closed the cylinder it touched the receiver causing it to either stop or have to move forward on the yoke to close.. I was simulating a reload and it didn't always close.. no bueno

the gun shop had 2 brand new, one 38 and one 357 and both had a lot of end play...

This has not been my experience at all. I ran one of these guns rather extensively during a Ruger "writer's" conference at Gunsite this summer. I found the .38 was pleasant to shoot and decently accurate out to about fifteen yards or so. I ran through a couple of the simulators there with the little LCR and never had an issue with outrunning the trigger or binding of the crane when reloading.

The wife has a scandium J-frame 357. At just 12 oz, I put my money in it is better to have a 12 oz 38 with you than having a 24 oz gun on the counter as it was too heavy to have in the purse.

Shooting 38s and staying away from the 357s keeps the intimidation factor down to something reasonable.

We buy boxes of ammo for the 38 and cases for the Witness Match. :)

AW

pros:

trigger is nice

reasonably priced

cons:

too much end play

This has not been my experience at all. I ran one of these guns rather extensively during a Ruger "writer's" conference at Gunsite this summer. I found the .38 was pleasant to shoot and decently accurate out to about fifteen yards or so. I ran through a couple of the simulators there with the little LCR and never had an issue with outrunning the trigger or binding of the crane when reloading.

i stated they had too much end play and the cylinder would bind against the frame when doing simulated reloads on both brand new guns.. nothing about outrunning triggers of binding of the crane.

pros:

trigger is nice

reasonably priced

cons:

too much end play

i stated they had too much end play and the cylinder would bind against the frame when doing simulated reloads on both brand new guns.. nothing about outrunning triggers of binding of the crane.

Regardless, I have noticed no such issues with the gun I shot at Gunsite. I also have one of these that is my personal revolver. I haven't put more than 100 rounds through it but it doesn't bind on the frame in any way.

I shot the .357 Magnum pre-production revolver as well. No issues with it other than punishing recoil. Ouch!

Regardless, I have noticed no such issues with the gun I shot at Gunsite. I also have one of these that is my personal revolver. I haven't put more than 100 rounds through it but it doesn't bind on the frame in any way.

I shot the .357 Magnum pre-production revolver as well. No issues with it other than punishing recoil. Ouch!

of course my experience came from a few minutes of handling one in a gun shop.. I'd still like the opportunity to run one a little bit to get a better feel for the gun..

• 11 months later...

I received an LCR as a gift, I don't shoot tupperwarde or wheel guns but I thought I'd give it a try. Now the best part is it weighs just a tick more than my wallet and in a IWB holster it is like wearing nothing at all. While my SigP239 is way heavier and has the potential for 4 more rounds, the little LCR is way more likely to get worn as it is so comfortable to wear.

If I run into an angry Moose or Griz obviously it is not going to get the job done, unless the shot is well placed which isn't a caliber specific limitation.

I've run over 200rds. through mine without any problems. It has a better trigger than any other snub I've ever shot. The recoil and accuracy is great. I have six S&W revolvers that I will keep. My only snubby is the Ruger LCR. Anyone looking for a carry gun that you forget you have it on your belt should look at the LCR.

It's not unusual for any snubby to keyhole with certain loads. This trend of needing a very small very light handgun firing loads that would stop a charging rhino at both ends is not rational for my perspective. I carry a 442 quite a bit with medium loads that I can shoot more than one time without being blinded and my arm and hand feeling detached from my body.

The Ruger looks like it has potential, only time will tell. There seems to be a lot of small parts inside it from what I've seen. Who knows they may build a full size version that is a competition world beater. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Who knows they may build a full size version that is a competition world beater. :rolleyes:

Sadly, Ruger seems to have zero interest in our world of competition shooting.

True but we're making progress. Ruger has recently signed on to be a sponsor in the 3Gun Nation events. They loaned rifles and pistols to the event for the "shoot off" match and had a number of their SR-556 rifles on the prize table.

Ruger has a link on their homepage now where you can send a suggestion to the president. Apparently someone reads them, because the one I sent suggesting rifles in .300 Blackout got a response in 24 hours. So I sent another one suggesting that they sponsor an IDPA match, make it known that the warranty department won't undo custom work, and allow us commoners to have spare parts. Oh yeah, and maybe make a 5"moonclipped Redhawk...

There is a thread on another forum concerning an LCR blowup in the area of the barrel shroud just in front of the cylinder.

The S&W 340PD series had/have a problem with the frames cracking around the ejector rod cutout/barrel... I haven't noticed any cracks on mine but I do look after every range session.