Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel challenge 9mm open load?

Aircooled6racer

Hello: I was wondering what powder etc people are using for a 9mm open Glock for Steel Challenge type stuff. I realize the comp makes a difference but just need a starting point. I plan on using HS-6 for major and 125grain bullet. I appreciate any help you guys can give me. Thanks, Eric

Is really necessary to reach PF? I understand on the longer steel if your poking along at 500 fps, you lose time. But what other considerations?

Thanks,

A.T.

Rules require a minimum velocity of 750 FPS with a 120 PF minimum for the stop plate.

Is really necessary to reach PF? I understand on the longer steel if your poking along at 500 fps, you lose time. But what other considerations?

Thanks,

A.T.

Rules require a minimum velocity of 750 FPS with a 120 PF minimum for the stop plate.

Thanks LeRoy,

A.T.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a bunch of Tg sitting here, so I went 4.4 under a 115 and left my OAl the same as always at 1.170. Soft as a babies bottom. I didn't want to tweak springs or anything in my open gun so this was a nice compromise... Sides, you know how nasty Sil gets when you download that stuff.

Hello: I have tried 8.0 grains of HS-6 and it seems to work fine with the 95 grain Montana Golds at 1.100 OAL. I just loaded up some at 7.8 grains now to try. I think I was having some problems with the tungsten guide rod binding on the spring a bit. I replaced it with a factory guide rod and it cycles nicely now. I will try a steel guide rod next. I'll keep you posted. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I found the load I will be going with for steel challenge type stuff. It is 7.8 grains of HS-6 and the 95 grain Montana Gold bullet. The OAL is 1.100". I also am using a Wolff 12lb recoil spring with 2 coils cut off and a Wolff steel guide rod. It is working perfectly so far. Thanks, Eric

Are the 95 grain bullets the ones listed as 380s on the MG site?

Yep they are. However know that if you are going to use them, you can't load them long. There is just not enough length/surface of the bullet to get a good crimp when you try and load long.

We were using the 95's for our SC loads, but kept having problems with the bullets falling off the cases, when we loaded them long enough to cycle flawlessly in our steel guns.

Hello: I think 1.155" may be too long for the 95 grain Montana Golds. The 1.100" length cycles fine in my Glocks, 1911 and the Open 9mm Bedell. I think if the gun is built right it should not be a problem after all aren't factory loads about that long? Thanks, Eric

I use 5.0 vvn340 w a 125 Zero jhp oal 1.125. G17 KKM barrel with SJC comp. About 140 PF but it shoots nice and soft and very accurate. I also use the same powder charge w/115 MG jhp but with the kkm barrel and the 115 bullet profile I have to shorten them to 1.10. In the future I am going to switch to 115 for minor steel and use the 125 Zero for major because I can load them with a longer AOL.

YMMV

I tried this load today and it would not feed very well in my open gun. I might need to lower the springs poundage and then see if they feed. Do note that this is not a good limited/production load. It might be too hot for those guns.

Hello: Hell no it is not a Limited or Production load. I just load it to the 1.100" OAL. The minor load I use Tite Group powder. I have not chronoed the minor Production/steel load yet for the Glock 17/34 and 1911. Although my 147 grain Precision load is very soft :cheers: Thanks, Eric

The reason I point that out is because this load felt softer in my open gun than my production 124 gr load with Clays. So, we touched one off in a limited minor gun. Notice I said one. I still want to get this load running in my gun. Any idea how much longer you could load those bullets?