Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caliber poll

leam

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have a loaner AR in .223 so I'm making progress. Right now the right caliber is "What your friends share with you". :)

Should be able to develop some of the skills with this and then when finances are ready, move to whatever. I'm still in the 30 caliber mindset, but not sure what sort of case to put behind it.

Thanks all!

Leam

• 3 weeks later...

My 6.5x284 is so accurate I do not shoot it any longer..... .114 5 shot groups at 100 yards, .250 at 300 yards and beyond that is just my skill reading the wind more than the guns abiltiy. With a 140 gr Berger VLD I would see no issues hitting a 18" target at 1500 yards if there were such a range around here I had access to....

Lee

Read this book!

Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting by Bryan Lutz

It changed the way I now look at long range shooting.

:cheers:

I ordered a copy just based off watching his video. Real smart dude who seems to know how to explain complex concepts. I am an engineer but appreaciate the effort not to make it a book of all numbers. I get enough of that at work!

Lee

• 2 months later...

All the above are good ideas. 1st what are you going to shoot ?

F class , tac matches , I would get a factory gun and spend the other on a good scope and ammo .

308 rem.5r is hard to beat for a starter .

savage is also making some factory bench stuff

• 4 weeks later...

What would be your one "go to" caliber for 300-1000 yards, and why?

Disclaimer...

I am realizing that I'm WAY out of my league here and I'm a pretty damn good shot shot.

So keep that in mind and also, be aware that I am choosing my advice based on perhaps a different "Tactical View" than the members with more expertise than I have.

Given your stated situation and intent, I would suggest Rem 700 in .308 for the same reason I would steer someone towards a small block chevy if they were just getting started in hot rodding.

First, I do believe that it'll get the job done, even if 1,000 meters is pushing it close to the limits of it's abilities.

I don't think you can find a larger aftermarket that will let you get your feet wet and decide what you like than the 700 in .308. Plus, not only can they be tuned up to shoot even better than they do when new (Which I personally think is pretty darned good for a stock rifle) but if you later decide that you want say... a .338 Lapua or .300WSM, you rarely have to look far for Rem 700/.308 buyers.

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

BLUF: 6.5 of some variety if this is your first.

I have precision rifles in 6.5x47L, 223, and 7WSM (all GA Precision). Each has it's own use and each is definately better at certain things. If I shoot long strings I prefer the 223. If I want to not worry as much about wind, or I know the course is going to have switchy wind I will frequently grab the 7. If I'm going to be shooting a match with my wife I grab the 6.5 (she has one also).

The 6.5 is definately the most versitile, but it doesn't do long strings as well as the 223 nor does it do as well in the wind as the 7.

As long as you are willing or set up to hand load I would get a 6.5 of some type over a 308 hands down. If I would do it again on the 6.5 side I would probably go with a 260AI or a 6.5 Creedmore. I think you can get match version of most of the 6.5s but they are capable of so much than the factory loads. My wife won her 6.5x47 (PAI now APA) so I had a 308 converted to match. It is very nice to have only one data card and be able to use exactly the same calls for unknown distance matches. Not to mention all the ease of reloading.

The game you want to play is important also, I concentrate on field matches, and some local F-class. For field matches when you decide on the caliber, don't necessarily jump to the most "tactical" equipment. Some of that is pretty heavy. All of my rifles are geared for what I have found I prefer for field matches. The 7WSM with a 26" #7 barrel is 16lbs FMC. That is a little heavier than I would like. When it gets rebarreled I will probably go to 24" and take the velocity hit, for a little less weight and a little more ease of position shooting. The nicest for position shooting is the 22" #7 223. It balances great, and is very steady. FMC it is about 12lbs.

I've seen many matches that would not allow anything but a .308, but I've never seen one that disallowed the .308.

Are there ballistically superior cartridges? Of course. Does that make you a better shooter? Not really.

At the Practical Marksman Challenge this year, we decided to go .308 only. It became more about the indian than the arrow, and it was awesome.

Ammo and components for .308 can be found just about anywhere and they are reasonably priced. Only CorBon makes a .260 match. Black Hills did a special run for GA Precision, but no one knows if that will happen again. I think HSM makes some too, but I've heard it leaves much to be desired. I helped work on the project with the CorBon .260 load and it shoots in every rifle we've tried it in and that's been a bunch of rifles. The 6.5CM is getting better, but as of today it is only made by Hornady. Makes me think of the old 300 Savage, when is it going to fall to the way side.

.30 cal bullets are nice, my .308 shoots along side and inside most .260's. The 6.5's have good BC's but the 7's have better. The 7-08 will shoot inside the 6.5 and the .308. There are tons of options, to narrow it down more would take more info on the end use of the rifle.

I think everyone's first rifle should be a .308. Burn a barrel out learning how to shoot and you'll have a better idea of what you need/want in a long range rifle. My current favorite is a 7WSM slinging a 168Berger VLD at 3175fps. It's 22MOA to 1k and 5.5MOA of wind. Pretty hard combo to beat. My rifle has a brake on it so the recoil is nonexistent. I like the caliber so much I also had a hunting rifle built in 7WSM.

There are lots of options, and lots of answers, some work, some don't. In the end, you can't go wrong with any of them. Well, not until you find out the local match is .308 only. ;)