Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2010 LaRue Tactical Multi-Gun Match

Everyone seems to be training up for the more imaginative carbine scenarios, me too. There are a couple more weapons involved though, and some of those odd barricade positons would probably be pretty challenging with slugs or even shot, not to mention reloading a SG from some sort of low crawl.

Are there still as many ants in TX as there are ticks in KY?

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone seems to be training up for the more imaginative carbine scenarios, me too. There are a couple more weapons involved though, and some of those odd barricade positons would probably be pretty challenging with slugs or even shot, not to mention reloading a SG from some sort of low crawl.

Ants....yes. Oh and the mosquitoes should be in full bloom by May as well!

Yeah, the fire ants ought to be all over and pissed by May! Should be fun!!!! ...and the mosquitos will be able to come in and pick you up by then!!! BUT NO WHINING!!!! btw, ya'll look for the "NO WHINING SQUAD"! We had just stickers last year, but we'll have all kinds of No Whining stuff this year-just ask"No Xcuse!"

Yeah, the fire ants ought to be all over and pissed by May! Should be fun!!!! ...and the mosquitos will be able to come in and pick you up by then!!! BUT NO WHINING!!!! btw, ya'll look for the "NO WHINING SQUAD"! We had just stickers last year, but we'll have all kinds of No Whining stuff this year-just ask"No Xcuse!"

I'm not whining, mostly fishing for good news. I'd heard that Chuck Norris had a place somewhere just north of Houston and was hoping that it was close enough to the match range that the ants had left the area in fear.

As for the big a$$ mosquitos, Greg will probably figure out a way to incorporate them into a shotgun stage to keep us from using light loads.

Chuck;s place is over in Navasota off hwy 90 back toward anderson,tx., I got first hand knowledge of the place. :D

Just bring sunscreen, maybe a poncho, never know what the weather will do around here. bug repellant and lots of water. Around here it is usually very humid and if the range is kinda of in a low area, then not much wind.

Curious what others are using for your weapons?

This will be my first, Taking my RRA 16" AR with T-1 Optic, XD Service in 9MM and trying to decide if I should do my Benelli M4 or go with the pump 870 18" with a side saddle....

Thanks!

Cheese.

which shotgun do you run the best? Thats the one I'd take if I were you.

+1 with the addition of which one you can load the fastest. Hits are important with the shotgun, but the reloading will really save you time. Look into a good shell carrier, some dummy rounds and PRACTICE.

Cheese...I plan on running the following:

LaRue 18" AR with a Burris XTR 1-4

1911 in .45acp with 10rd magazines...I need LOTS of practice!

12GA shotgun...right now I have a Mossberg 500 28in field gun with a 5 shell capacity...I'm gonna try to get something with more capacity and hopefully get some trigger time on it or better yet reloading time.

which shotgun do you run the best? Thats the one I'd take if I were you.

So that is the dilemia. I Run both half way decent; The Benelli run's like a champ... but only hold 4+1 - plus I'm slow reloading it.

The Rem 870 is 6 + 1 and I can reload way faster; but running the pump is slow!

I'm considering buying the Mossy 930 SPX - then I get the capacity + plus speed ... but I don't know how it is to reload.

Curious what others are using for your weapons?

This will be my first, Taking my RRA 16" AR with T-1 Optic, XD Service in 9MM and trying to decide if I should do my Benelli M4 or go with the pump 870 18" with a side saddle....

Thanks!

Cheese.

I would get a tripler for that T1 or put some sort of low powered variable or ACOG on your AR if you can.

So that is the dilemia. I Run both half way decent; The Benelli run's like a champ... but only hold 4+1 - plus I'm slow reloading it.

When you say you run the pump slow, is it slower than the time it takes to load and shoot 7 out of the Benelli? If magazine capacity is the issue, you can get a longer extension tube for the 870.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but with practice on the pump you can run it smooth and fast. I shot a shotgun match last weekend where some of the pump shooters where faster than the autos...

When you say you run the pump slow, is it slower than the time it takes to load and shoot 7 out of the Benelli? If magazine capacity is the issue, you can get a longer extension tube for the 870.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but with practice on the pump you can run it smooth and fast. I shot a shotgun match last weekend where some of the pump shooters where faster than the autos...

To answer the question; I can empty the Benelli in a bit over a second of the 4+1, reloading 2 more rounds and firing takes me few 5 - 10 seconds depending where I'm stripping the shells from... Shooting the pump is much slower but I can fill the magazine to capacity (6) if using the side saddle + belt holder in about 6 - 8 seconds.

I'll try to explain this differently.

The Remington 870 is faster to reload. Holds more ammo. (6+1)

The Benelli is much faster to shoot. Holds less ammo.(4+1) Slower to reload.

Question is: Is speed of the shots on target, but slower, more often reloads, better then shooting slower with more ammo capacity and faster reloads?

Thanks for answering a new (to 3 gun) guys questions!! Just trying to avoid coming in last place in my first 3GUN :P

Question is: Is speed of the shots on target, but slower, more often reloads, better then shooting slower with more ammo capacity and faster reloads?

Just my opinion, but shooting slower with more ammo capacity and faster reloads is the way to go. Reloads are always the slowest part of the shotgun portion.

If you are able to, check out the High Plains Shotgun Challenge to really get some good practice and see how it can be done. It was my first real match last year and I did finish second to last. Hopefully this year will be much better!

Quick question what kind of targets are used at what ranges. I saw the clips on youtube of the paper targets. Generally what ranges to the use paper till and what ranged to the generally use the larue metal targets and the 10 inch flashers. Just trying to get an idea of what to practice for. Thanks I have never shot at a big match before or one that goes past 200 yards.

Pat

To answer the question; I can empty the Benelli in a bit over a second of the 4+1, reloading 2 more rounds and firing takes me few 5 - 10 seconds depending where I'm stripping the shells from... Shooting the pump is much slower but I can fill the magazine to capacity (6) if using the side saddle + belt holder in about 6 - 8 seconds.

I'll try to explain this differently.

The Remington 870 is faster to reload. Holds more ammo. (6+1)

The Benelli is much faster to shoot. Holds less ammo.(4+1) Slower to reload.

Thanks for answering a new (to 3 gun) guys questions!! Just trying to avoid coming in last place in my first 3GUN :P

I am curious as to why you are much slower with the pump. I shoot both pumps and autos and while I find the autos a bit faster its not night and day for me at least.

Pat

Quick question what kind of targets are used at what ranges. I saw the clips on youtube of the paper targets. Generally what ranges to the use paper till and what ranged to the generally use the larue metal targets and the 10 inch flashers. Just trying to get an idea of what to practice for. Thanks I have never shot at a big match before or one that goes past 200 yards.

Pat

Tons of steel (really). Lots of shots out to 500 yards.