Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Tactical 4.1 in .45acp....

DHart

I have plenty of single stack 1911's and Glocks to carry, but I am so enamored with my Edge in .40 (and desiring a higher-cap .45acp) that I have been thinking about getting a Tactical 4.1 in .45acp as a carry gun, because I like the caliber & the capacity. I'd lose the magwell, but other than that, the Tactical 4.1 looks like a great choice for a higher-cap carry gun.

Anybody else carry the Tactical 4.1, especially in .45acp? Your thoughts?

I have an STI Tactical in 4.15" in the aluminum frame which isn't available anymore. Its in 40sw.

I carry it as a five o. I don't think I would carry the .45acp as a concealed gun. The grip is a little fat for concealed carry and with 13 +/- rounds of 230gr. bullets, It may be a little on the heavy side, even though its a commander slide.

Randy

redwoods... the grip on the Tactical in .45 is the exact same size as the grip in .40, right? So, you're saying that you wouldn't carry the Tactical in .45 simply because it would be heavier than in .40, not because of the grip size? I think the grip and frame size are identical.

I can easily carry my G30 which holds 11 rounds of .45acp and it's a little bit of a chubber as well... but no problem concealing it with an IWB @ 5 o'clock. I would probably be fine with the weight of the Tactical 4.1 in .45acp.

In your view, are the hi-cap mags up to snuff for defense use (dependable reliability)?

Edited by DHart

Dhart-

I could have written your question ;) Thinking the same thing coming from a crush on my 40SW Edge and I have a buddy who is thinking along the same lines.

The mag issue has always been interesting to me- how unreliable are your mags right now? The issue for me is that if they get dirty, my Edge runs a bit funny; but I'm talking like sandy/gritty, not the pocket fuzz I pick up in my CCW mags now. I might have the internals coated with that FailSafe coating and CeraKote the outside- maybe a bit much so might just chrome it. I was thinking of keeping it in 40SW, just so I have more compatability, plus the spare mag could be a 20rounder.

On the steel vs aluminum- Would SVI have more options?

Love to see what you come up with.

Edited by FromMyColdDeadHand

Dhart-

I could have written your question ;) Thinking the same thing coming from a crush on my 40SW Edge and I have a buddy who is thinking along the same lines.

The mag issue has always been interesting to me- how unreliable are your mags right now? The issue for me is that if they get dirty, my Edge runs a bit funny; but I'm talking like sandy/gritty, not the pocket fuzz I pick up in my CCW mags now. I might have the internals coated with that FailSafe coating and CeraKote the outside- maybe a bit much so might just chrome it. I was thinking of keeping it in 40SW, just so I have more compatability, plus the spare mag could be a 20rounder.

On the steel vs aluminum- Would SVI have more options?

Love to see what you come up with.

FMCDH... I set up my mags with the Grams kits right from the get go. They haven't seen much use yet, but they have run flawlessly for the light use I've given them. I think for those who are willing to tweak and closely care for the mags, the double stacks can run flawlessly.

I think the best mod for a mag tube would be tumble polishing with fine media and then nickle plating. Haven't done it to mine though. Perhaps someday.

The Tactical 4.1 in 45acp sounds just perfect for me. 13-14 rounds of this wonderful caliber in a moderate sized STI 2011 seems like an awesome set-up.

• 3 weeks later...
I have plenty of single stack 1911's and Glocks to carry, but I am so enamored with my Edge in .40 (and desiring a higher-cap .45acp) that I have been thinking about getting a Tactical 4.1 in .45acp as a carry gun, because I like the caliber & the capacity. I'd lose the magwell, but other than that, the Tactical 4.1 looks like a great choice for a higher-cap carry gun.

Anybody else carry the Tactical 4.1, especially in .45acp? Your thoughts?

FYI: In one of the recent magazine articles of the all too numerous gun/shooting publications that I read, an officer discussed purchasing exactely what your are inquiring about. That is an STI 4.15 in .45 as his carry gun. Little on the heavy side, but in stated that some of the CC holsters produced for other guns with rails molden into their dustovers (read Glock) would fit this gun. GOOD LUCK!

Personally I would prefer the .40 if I was building one a couple more rounds or a few less onces, I would also go for an "Eagle 4.15" I just dont like nor do I have any use for extended frames with sawblades on my guns.

I have a 4.15" Tactical in 45acp that I carry on occasion. It's a little heavier and bigger than carrying a single stack, but doesn't seem much different than say my XD, except a little heavier. FWIW I carry it in a Bladetech IWB. I don't know if this really makes sense, but I used a match to determine the reliability of my gun and mags. If I can run through a match or two with it functioning, I figure that's a good indicator that it will just function. A better indicator than just standing static in a stall and shooting anyway.

~Mitch

In conversation with two of the top suppliers of STI guns who are mentioned repeatedly on this forum (I won't mention names, but you KNOW who they are) I was very gently urged to select 40 rather than 45. Both of these experts said that the fatter .45 cartridges don't roll up inside the double stack mags quite as easily as the .40s do. They implied that for this reason, .40 would have a slight gain in reliability in the double stack STI over the .45. Interesting. I'm leaning toward .40. (That's what my Edge is chambered in and it runs like a greased hose!)

Edited by DHart

I carry the 5 inch tactical for a duty gun. I was initially going to buy the gun in .45 but went with the .40. This gives me the option of using it as a backup gun. I do carry this gun concealed also. With the weight you know it's there but I have never felt it was too heavy. The gun was finicky about factory length ammo when I first got it. I had to keep the spring weight up and extractor tension had to be played with to make it run reliable. The gun runs like greased lightning now. My opinion...awsome carry gun.

Here is basically a 4.15 tactical (although it started as a 5.0). When I cut the slide back I also cut the frame back to lighten it up a bit. The extended mag is a 126 (with 140 stock basepad), the flush mag is a 120. I can get 16 in the extended (.40) and 14 in the flush.

As you can see, I cut the plastic magwell portion off the grip to shorten it some...a la VIP. The grip is now about as long as a G23. The back of the grip was the part that printed the most.

I carry in a Milt Sparks Watch Six that is for a Glock 32,23,19. I added a T-nut, screw and piece of rubber hose as a trigger guard stop. The front of the trigger guard is shorter than on a Glock.

You can do the same thing in a .45, but I wanted it light. I even carry lighter bullets (165's and 135's). Accurate little bugger too.

post-8536-1253548980_thumb.jpg

post-8536-1253549002_thumb.jpg

Cool Tactical, Sir Hacksaw!

Here is basically a 4.15 tactical (although it started as a 5.0). When I cut the slide back I also cut the frame back to lighten it up a bit. The extended mag is a 126 (with 140 stock basepad), the flush mag is a 120. I can get 16 in the extended (.40) and 14 in the flush.

As you can see, I cut the plastic magwell portion off the grip to shorten it some...a la VIP. The grip is now about as long as a G23. The back of the grip was the part that printed the most.

I carry in a Milt Sparks Watch Six that is for a Glock 32,23,19. I added a T-nut, screw and piece of rubber hose as a trigger guard stop. The front of the trigger guard is shorter than on a Glock.

You can do the same thing in a .45, but I wanted it light. I even carry lighter bullets (165's and 135's). Accurate little bugger too.