Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder Cop on a 550?

Looking at getting a 550, but with only 4 stations, there seems to be no way to add a powder cop, which then leads to a 650 for more stations.

Do all you 550 shooters just rely on your eyeballs with no other safeguards?

Thanks

Looking at getting a 550, but with only 4 stations, there seems to be no way to add a powder cop, which then leads to a 650 for more stations.

Thanks

I do that on a 650 and a 1050 as well....

Thanks

Yes. I look at every load as it comes down from the powder measure.

I've been having some problems with loads and, as a result, have been hyper conscious of this. I load standing because it works better for me and have a little goose neck LED light that shines right down into the case in the powder station. One thing to bear in mind is that since you have to auto-index the 550 anyway, you are going to be looking right at that area anyway and looking into the case becomes natural.

It’s hard to break old habits (especially when they are good) so I still look at the charge when I can. I do rely on a powder check die those times I can’t see the powder charge.

Where do you put it? Or are you seating and crimping in the same station?

Thanks

+2

And you'll load faster if you do that. Just like with shooting, if your vision finds precisely where your sights need to go, they will go there quickly and accurately.

be

Thanks

+2

And you'll load faster if you do that. Just like with shooting, if your vision finds precisely where your sights need to go, they will go there quickly and accurately.

be

My routine is this. I look at the brass as it leaves the powder measure. Then I look at my next piece of brass I'm about to pickup and I watch it until I slide it in while my left hand indexes the shell plate and places the bullet without me looking. I then look at the sitting bullet on the way up to make sure it stays straight and then back to the powder measure station to look for powder. Repeat a bunch.

I do stand to reload.

With my 550, I drop the powder, see the powder, place the bullet on the case, and then index.

If you can place the bullet on the case before you index, and it stays put, then you are using more flair on the case than I am. I may need to revisit this because I like that idea.

With my 550, I drop the powder, see the powder, place the bullet on the case, and then index.

If you can place the bullet on the case before you index, and it stays put, then you are using more flair on the case than I am. I may need to revisit this because I like that idea.

The Zero 147 gr JHP and MG 124 JHP stay pretty well. The 125-126 gr Black Precision need a little help staying on.

A.T.

Dillon Recommends .020". Mine stay put pretty well with .015 flare.

Thanks

+2

be

OK - I guess that is the answer!

• 2 weeks later...

Dillon Recommends .020". Mine stay put pretty well with .015 flare.

I adjusted the flare by trial and error (never measured). Just keep tweaking the Powder Die until you hit the best setting for "the bullet stays straight w/o tipping.

be