Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 9L vs. Pro

cconn

The Pro has a fiber optic front sight and a competition rear sight and it has the better sear for shorter reset and a slightly crisper break.

The 9L is the same minus the things above.

If you plan to have trigger work done and/or change sights......the 9L is the way to go.

And in my opinion. The Pro trigger is better than the 9L but far from what it is capable of when properly done.

Thanks for the reply. I was leaning towards the 9L mainly for price. Buds shows them for $470. Any sights will prolly be changed later, and a good trigger job kinda negates buying a Pro.

The 9L's slide is also lighter by almost 2oz, so think of it as getting free and production legal slide lightening.

Nice to know. My plan was to get the 9L and get a good trigger job. Know any one I should use Dan? :closedeyes:

The trigger on my Pro was good enough out of the box for probably 95% of the shooters out there. I very slightly polished one or two parts and I'll probably tweak a couple of things using Dan's tutorial, but I haven't found that it was really necessary. Of course, no two wll be the same so it can be a bit hit or miss. R,

"I got a PRO" sounds cooler than "I got an L". Remember that when somebody walks up to you at a match and asks,"Damn is that a PRO? Do you want to say, "Oh hell Yeah" or , "nah it's an L"?

Trust me, PRO's are cooler. That is why I own a PRO and would not be caught dead with an L.

Hey, I have to say something to convince myself I made the right choice! :cheers:

Just kiddin' get whatever you get the best deal on. They are the same except for the differences the other guys already mentioned. With the exception that,

PRO'S ARE COOLER!

Edited by sandman

The Pro has a fiber optic front sight and a competition rear sight and it has the better sear for shorter reset and a slightly crisper break.

The 9L is the same minus the things above.

If you plan to have trigger work done and/or change sights......the 9L is the way to go.

And in my opinion. The Pro trigger is better than the 9L but far from what it is capable of when properly done.

+1

Why in the hell is the Pro slide heavier than the L?

The PRO was designed by the performance center, the L was designed by the engineers that designed the rest ot the M&P line. So I guess if you have two different people designing it you end up wth two different solutions. Now why did the performance center go heavier and the regular guys went with same (the L is only 0.25oz heavier than the 4in) your guess is as good as mine. I am just happy one of the two kept the slide weight about the same as the 4in guns.

• 5 weeks later...

One additional question.... For those that have the M&P Pro, what do you think of the stock sites? Do they compare to a Dawson/Warren set up at all (my preference)? I know it is all subjective, but if you could take a picture of the standard Pro sites and post 'em, it would be great. I can pick up a Pro over an L for $48.00, but the way I look at it, if I'm going to replace the sites to a Dawson/Warren set up anyway, I may as well just get the L and not the Pro to begin with.

Thanks for the replies.

One additional question.... For those that have the M&P Pro, what do you think of the stock sites? Do they compare to a Dawson/Warren set up at all (my preference)? I know it is all subjective, but if you could take a picture of the standard Pro sites and post 'em, it would be great. I can pick up a Pro over an L for $48.00, but the way I look at it, if I'm going to replace the sites to a Dawson/Warren set up anyway, I may as well just get the L and not the Pro to begin with.

Thanks for the replies.

I usually replace the Pro sights with dawsons or warrens. The fiber is too thick on the Pro, and I prefer the serrated dawson rears.

get the L.

Thanks for the replies.

I usually replace the Pro sights with dawsons or warrens. The fiber is too thick on the Pro, and I prefer the serrated dawson rears.

get the L.

Is the front blade width a .125 or larger? Or is it just the size of the fiber optic that is the issue? I wish I could see one in person, but nobody around here has the pro series. A set of Dawson/Warren's will run about 60.00 so hmmmmm.....

Hey dan I felt one of your like 3 1/2 lb jobs on a friend of mines. I never liked the m and p until I felt your trigger. What can you do as far as comeptition triggers? Which one do you prefer for production etc. Would it make sense to buy a pro because of the better quality sear? Or do you replace all that when you do a really good trigger job?

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies.

get the L.

Is the front blade width a .125 or larger? Or is it just the size of the fiber optic that is the issue? I wish I could see one in person, but nobody around here has the pro series. A set of Dawson/Warren's will run about 60.00 so hmmmmm.....

I don't recall exactly how wide the front was, but it was something along those lines. I put a Dawson .100" on mine and really like it. I've thought about changing the rear sight, but then I realize I just don't pay much attention to it...lol. I may still swap it out since I want to make a very, very slight change to the POI and if I can swap the rear and get that I may give it a try since I'm going to pop the rear sight off anyway to work on the FP safety one of these days. R,

the dawson fiber is a .040 and the stock novak is a .060".

I think the novak blade width is about 125 or a little thicker.

Pinman44, If youre talking to me, thanks for the compliment! I like working with the Pro sear more than a stock one, but either result in the same feel.

I dont see any real advantage with the L vs Pro other that the cost. I cant notice any real difference when shooting either, provided they have a good trigger and good sights. And good ammo.

um.....could be that the guys that came up with the M&P used to be at a certain other polymer framed gun company that also has a longer slide gun that weighs the same as the stock configuration does....I am just sayin..... :roflol:

That would be my guess.....

DougC