Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EAA, P9's, and TZ's

Jody Waring

What I was wondering is could anyone post or forward me some pics and details of any of these guns they might own and use.(Standard,preferably Open) I am hard pressed on finding info on a magwell, the weld on type. If I cant get one I would like to pattern one if I could see one in detail. Any input and information would be much appreciated :D Any 'smiths still building them?

George at EGW had them. He also has the slide stop pins, which are priceless. Get several.

My advise on the EAA/P9/POS/TZ in general is: Carefully consider if you want to spend money on this platform, when it might be better spent on a more commonly-used (successful) gun design. <_<

They make a lot more sense if you live in Europe, can get the 38super model and mags without restriction. But still... <_<

Jager, I am looking forward to your pics. My current P9 frame has 1000's of rounds thru it and knock on wood, its 100% reliable. I am using slide stops made from tool steel, that I had supplied to me and I ground the indents for the spring retainer and they seem to be really strong, I have a 1/2 dozen and haven't broke any ......yet anyway :P I love these guns and have 0 intentions of switching to anything else; I have a 1911 Open gun in the vault collecting dust. Thru trial and error, the changes I've made to the gun myself, has made it run flawless, as many of you would know about feeding troubles, primer ignition and bad flow, and oh yeah I've got the sweetest and ever-so-consistent triggerpull B) If it works, hey, why not use it right?

Jody;

I LOVED my P9....I think you may have almost bought it once.....I just finally dumped it after 9 years because I wanted to join the 'big stick' crowd....(that sounds obcene :P ).

I loved the trigger, the timing, the feel of the grip, I made a beautiful scope mount for it....but I just was ready to shoot something else.

Kinda wish I had it back now... :angry:

Brian, I hear lots of impressions the same as your's. Mag capacity is a big deal, if everyone else is running with 28+ rounds. When you've got a 10 round legal limit like we have here, thats not important. I see lots of guys here still going to wide body guns, :blink: but why bother really, unless you're shooting internationally where you could use hi-cap mags. Anyway, the P9 guns are still very viable here, I also use CZ's as well. I am searching for pics and other resources for these guns in IPSC form for new ideas(to me) and especially looking for a pic of a magwell, so I could possibly pattern one myself. Tanfoglio makes one, for the competition frame, but will not work on the older Gen. frames. The only well I can find is a Guncraft one, but cant get any pics, to see how it looks after installation. If anyone has any useful links, I would deeply appreciate any insight. If it wasnt so much trouble shipping guns to the US and back, I'd send it to you Brian and have you build one for me. B)

Jody

Want some good news. I am looking at a Gun Craft mag extension as I write this. (Multi Talented)

I have been running a P9 since about 1991. It was one out of Springfield's Custom shop. I am on the second slide 4th barrel and some 250000 rounds later would not trade it for anything.

My sport of preference is NRA Action Pistol, but also enjoy Steel Challenge and IPSC. With the current problems with Action Pistol and Proposed Rules changes for 2004, I may not be shooting much AP next Year.

As for the mag well extension. It was given to me so figure that I should charge it on for the same exorbitant price, what do you think?

Grant

Grant, I forwarded an email to you.

Its good to hear from another P9'er :P Thats incredible the # of rounds you have thru your gun. I've got several 1000's thru mine but nothing close to you. Let me know about the 'well, I am interested. I just wish I could find a pic somewhere, I've seen what I believe were the EGW one that looks like a 'U', which aren't presently available. I have gotten this far in the sport without a magwell, but if I could add one on I will. Is there any suppliers out there that might still have some accessories for these guns? I remember years ago flipping thru the American Handgunner and the amount of adds was astounding for parts, custom 'smiths, etc...long since gone. Maybe one of us might luck out and discover someone with some old stock,...stranger things have happened :blink:

No question, when they work for you without problems, the P9's are really addictive. You try the thumb safety or the trigger pull on anything but your P9 and you say something like 'thanks, I'm happy with this.'

If the 10round law goes sunset, and some gunsmith here gets a great reputation for making the 38super Witness go & go & go, then I'm trying it.

Eric Grauffel uses a Tanfoglio magwell that bolts onto the large frame TZ. Not sure if they still sell them. Not pretty, but it works.

Jody,

Hope you got the pics. I also have been shooting mine since '91, and knock on wood is still running flawlessly. Slide stop pins are no longer an issue with the 165 PF, and to be honest with you it never was an issue anyway, just changed them out every 3k or so. I just check mine for bending; they will barely start to bend and then they're trash. Most important is the EGW recoil spring, heavy Huening style. B)

Jager,

Thanks for the pics :D Thats what I'm talking about- that is an example of a practical, with everything you need pistol. Looks well used and well maintained. I must say it isnt often that when you do see one of these guns its not with a C-more, if you see any at all. I use an Aimpoint CompC(the new one) with the 7moa dot, and just love it. Thanks in for the pics- would you mind sharing your loads and a little bit about the parts in your gun; barrell, trigger, etc...An awsome looking blaster :) Thanks!

No problem Jody, and thanks Flex for posting the pics. :D

I'll give a brief rundown of the work -

Life began as a stock TZ-75 in 9mm. Huening SA trigger with pre-travel and overtravel stops, EGW hardened sear and hammer, 1 1/4 lb and so crisp. EAA extended mag release, welded beavertail, modified trigger guard, welded on thumb safety extension, welded on magwell by EGW. Top end: EAA longslide cut down, Storm Lake barrel in 9X21, triple port cone comp with 2 side ports and 1 popple hole on top. C-More 3 moa dot with *thumb rest [generic]*. Grips homemade with 220 wetsand paper contact cemented on. I get 25 + 1 with my 170mm mag, and 20 + 1 with my stock mags with a + 3 pad.

My Load is a .356 125 FMJ over 8.8 of HS-6 for a 170 PF loaded to 9mm config. I found the .356 much more accurate than the .355

At the 175 PF I had no cratering or primer flow, and I felt that my primers looked better than anybody's 38 supers.

Good luck with your blaster, I have no complaints except for 28 round field courses :lol:

Jager,

did EGW add the 'popple hole' in your barrell? Did you notice much of a difference after adding it? I also am using a Storm Lake 9x21 barrell, I left my barrell long, it measures 5.5" and with 9.0gr HS6 and a 115 I get a 170PF. Going back to 124's this winter though, as soon as I get rid of my stock of 115's. Going to try HS7 with the 124's and see how it goes, the pressure should be lower than the HS6. B)

For those of you EAA/P-9 pilots that just refuse to give up I have some good news, maybe.

I have been in touch with CPMI, the guys who made some of the orginial hollow pads for EAA/P-9's, asking them to make a run of hollow pads that would take the stock hi cap magazines out to 170mm.

If any of you guys are interested please send them an email. The only hold up seems to be they don't think they can sell more then maybe a couple of them of them.

With a 170mm mag, and the new lower PF the EAA/P-9's are looking very good.

Jody,

EGW just did the side ports and single popple hole. Only rapped off a half a dozen shots, and honestly only notice minor difference, but I'll take it. The gun always tracked vertically and returned on target nicely. Shooting a match Sunday, find out then. Havn't tried the 115's yet, much difference from the 125's?

Unfortunately for CPMI for the mags, I buy the cheap long 23 rounders from Cheaper than Dirt and add a + 3 pad, comes to 170mm, and can jam in 26 + 1 and they run fine.

Jager,

I pretty much only went the 115 route as that what's the rage with the local shooter's here. More powder, more recoil, the gun is very flat, but the dot's all over the place. I could change the comp maybe to suit, but likely stick with it and shoot 124's as they track the gun nicely. Good luck on Sunday! :)

As a P9 'Pilot', I refuse to give up :P I still go with the 'Run What Ya Brung' attitude, and the P9 runs, and runs great for me. Planning on building another. Am considering the CPMI competition pads Bob, as I have talked to guys that have used them, and they fit the hand really nice for doing a reload. I currently use the standard Tanfo aluminum pads. B)

Jager,

Haven't tried the SP2, there isn't any available here. I would like to talk to one of the SP2 guru's and ask them if there is a powder that is very close in performance. One reply I did get from a shooter was that one of the Viht powders was close, can't remember which one. I was curious on the popple hole you added, its size and maybe more: 2or 3 may be needed to see the effectiveness one is seeking.I know a guy that has an S_I with a six chamber comp, six side ports and one large popple hole and I dont think it shoots as flat as my P9. The right Powder and bullet combo is the ticket I think, thats why I'm so curious to try the SP2.

Cheers