Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

War

dajarrel

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks that nothing is worth war, is much worse.

The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

- John Stuart Mill

• 3 months later...

Last one unless someone gets me started on Sun Tzu....

Remember Edwinn Starr:

War! - huh- yeah-

What is it good for?

Absolutely nothing

Uh-huh

War! – huh – yeah-

What is it good for?

Absolutely nothing

Say it again y’all

War! – huh – good God

What is it good for?

Absolutely nothing

Listen to me…

Ohhh… War! I despise

Because it means destruction’

Of innocent lives

War means tears

to thousands of mothers eyes

When their sons go to fight

and lose their lives

I said - War! Huh – Good God y’all

What is it good for?

Absolutely nothing

Say it again

War! Whoa, Lord

What is it good for

Absolutely nothing

Listen to me…

War! It ain’t nothing but a heartbreaker

War! Friend only to the undertaker

War! It’s an enemy to all mankind

The thought of war blows my mind

War has caused unrest in the younger generation

Induction then destruction-

Who wants to die?

Ohhh… War – Good God Y’all

What is it good for?

Absolutely nothing

Say it, Say it, Say it

War! Uh-huh – Yeah - Huh!

What is it good for?

Absolutely nothing

Listen to me…

War! It’s got one friend, that’s the undertaker

War has shattered many a young mans dreams

Made him disabled bitter and mean

Life is much to precious to spend fighting wars these days

War can’t give life, it can only take it away

War! Huh – Good God y’all

What is it good for?

Absolutely nothing

Say it again

War! Whoa, Lord

What is it good for

Absolutely nothing

Listen to me…

War! Friend only to the undertaker

Peace Love and Understanding;

tell me, is there no place for them today?

They say we must fight to keep our freedom

But Lord knows there’s got to be a better way

What is it good for?

You tell me

Say it, Say it, Say it

What is it good for?

Stand up and shout it.

Nothing!

Saint Augustine (354-430)

The purpose of all war is peace.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Menachem Begin (1913-)

No more wars, no more bloodshed. Peace unto you. Shalom, salaam, forever.

On signing the Egyptian-Israeli peace treaty, Washington, D.C. (March 26, 1979)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. (1841-1935)

I think that, as life is action and passion, it is required of a man that he should share the passion and action of his time at peril of being judged not to have lived. Memorial Day Address (1884)

A. E. Housman (1859-1936)

Here dead lie we because we did not choose

To live and shame the land from which we sprung

. Life to be sure, is nothing much to lose;

But young men think it is, and we were young.

Bible, Isaiah

They shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.

John Lennon (1940-1980)

When we say "War is over if you want it," we mean that if everyone demanded peace instead of another TV set, we'd have peace.

Martin Luther (1483-1546)

Peace is more important than all justice; and peace was not made for the sake of justice, but justice for the sake of peace.

On Marriage (1530)

Robert Lynd (1879-1949) Anglo-Irish essayist, journalist

The belief in the possibility of a short decisive war appears to be one of the most ancient and dangerous of human illusions.

John Milton (1608-1674)

Peace hath her victories, no less renowned than War.

Pablo Neruda (1904-1973)

Poetry is an act of peace. Peace goes into the making of a poet as flour goes into the making of bread.

Memoirs (Confieso Que He Vivido: Memorias) (1974)

William Shakespeare (1564-1616)

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;

Or close the wall up with our English dead!

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man

As modest stillness and humility:

But when the blast of war blows in our ears,

Then imitate the action of the tiger;

Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,

Disguise fair nature with hard-favored rage;

Then lend the eye a terrible aspect.

King Henry the Fifth (1598-1600), Act: III, Scene: i, Line: 1

UNESCO Constitution

Since wars begin in the minds of men, it is in the minds of men that the defenses of peace must be constructed.

Frederick Moore Vinson (1890-1953)

Wars are not acts of God. They are caused by man, by man-made institutions, by the way in which man has organized his society. What man has made, man can change.

Speech at Arlington National Cemetery (Memorial Day, 1945)

Woodrow Wilson (1856-1924)

(The Civil War) created in this country what had never existed before a national consciousness. It was not the salvation of the Union; it was the rebirth of the Union.

Memorial Day Address (1915]

B)

I particularly like the quote from Menachem Begin. Not only did he win the Nobel Peace Prize, but in 1946 as head of the Irgun he blew up the British HQ in the King David hotel and killed 96 people and wounded many more. Highest body count for a terrorist bombing until quite recently.... :wacko:

(Trying to stick to the theme of the topic's original quote...)

Ye say it is the good cause which halloweth even war? I say unto you: it is the good war which halloweth every cause.
--Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Aikidale, yesterday's freedom fighter is today's terrorist is tomorrow's freedom fighter...

Woodrow Wilson (1856-1924)

(The Civil War) created in this country what had never existed before a national consciousness. It was not the salvation of the Union; it was the rebirth of the Union.

Memorial Day Address (1915]

What horse puckey. The Civil War neither saved nor rebirthed the Union. It destroyed the Union as a voluntary confederacy of free states.

Duane is quite correct. In antebellum times it was proper to say 'The United States of America are a country." Little more than a century later when I was in school and John Kerry and Hanoi Jane were protesting the Indonesian war there were quotes like: "Fighting for Peace is like Screwing for Chastity." I never saw the connection....... :huh:

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks that nothing is worth war, is much worse.

An unjust and unnecessary war, which poisons the beliefs of people inside and outside a nation, is an uglier thing still. because patriotic people die in unjust wars exactly the same way they die in just wars, except in the latter their lives are not thrown away like yesterday's trash.

About war:

See that ye hold fast the heritage we leave you,

yea and teach your children its value, that never

in the coming centuries their harts may fail

them or their hands grow weak,

Sir Francis Drake,

Chapel of Remembrance, Britannia Naval College, Dartmouth.

Be strong, prevent WAR!

DVC, Henny.

"going to war without France is like going deer hunting without an accordion. You just leave a lot of useless noisy baggage behind".

--Jed Babbin, former deputy undersecretary of defense in the first Bush administration

“The Americans will always do the right thing... After they've exhausted all the alternatives.”

Sir Winston Churchill

"Join the army, meet interesting people, kill them." -- Graffiti at Bromley

“We are not retreating—we are advancing in another direction.”

General Douglas MacArthur

"There never was a good war or a bad peace." -- Benjamin Franklin

"You can't say civilization isn't advancing: in every war, they kill you in a new way." -- Will Rogers

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." -- General George Patton

This one takes the cake - "Guilty as Lieutenant Calley may have been of the actual act of murder, the verdict does not single out the real criminal ... the United States of America," --Democratic presidential front-runner John Kerry

Reported by the New York Times 33 years ago, Kerry condemned the entire country as "criminal" during a 1971 demonstration on Wall Street, a few weeks after the trial of Lt. William Calley