Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poor Extractor Tension

00bullitt

I've got a new Pro Series on the way but have a friends gun here now. He was having some ejection problems so I told him to get the SSS extractor. I installed it this evening and it is just as bad as the factory in terms of tension. It will not even hold an empty 9mm case against the breech face. There is that much of a gap.

Something has got to be wrong with the location of the extractor pin hole or something. There is just too much gap at the case rim and it has no tension.

I'm curious to get mine and see if it has the same problem. These problems seem to be intermittent in differnt guns.

Anybody got any advice on how to get these things extracting and ejecting reliably without sending it back to S&W?

Like many othe people's Pros, mine developed the extration problem after a good bit of reliable operation...in my case it was about ~1200 rounds.

I replaced the extractor with the SSS extractor and installed their extra-power extractor spring at the same time. So far I have 281 rounds of Remington UMC 115 gr. ball through it with the new extractor and it has been 100% I am not going to say that the problem is fixed until I get to ~600 as once the extraction issue started the failure rate was once every ~250-300 rounds.

Good luck, I hope you get it working.

Edited by kmbr45

I know you don't want to send your M&P back to S&W, but that is exactly what I would do. They fixed up my 9Pro quickly and at no charge and knock on wood it has not had a bit of trouble since I received it back.

Speed shooters extractor is not really a drop in part, it needs to be fit properly. If you have zero tension you didn't fit it properly. I would suggest you look at the bottom of the factory extractor and get the new one to match it. or as others have suggested, put the factory one back in and return it to S&W.

Kenny's extractor is a superior product in finish and hardness, but fitting can be fun. Good luck.

Speed shooters extractor is not really a drop in part, it needs to be fit properly. If you have zero tension you didn't fit it properly. I would suggest you look at the bottom of the factory extractor and get the new one to match it. or as others have suggested, put the factory one back in and return it to S&W.

Kenny's extractor is a superior product in finish and hardness, but fitting can be fun. Good luck.

No knock on Kenny's extractor at all. Its hard as all get out. My file wouldn't even cut it and yeah....it took a while to stone it to fit. But I did fit it like I would fit a 1911 extractor and it has tension on the rim and case now. Glad to know that is needed. I'm on my way to test fire it today.

I was just real curious to what others were experiencing and if I would have searched as Flex suggested I would have found those other two long threads.

Sorry for taking up space but thanks for the replies.

ETA: I also stacked two black rubber inserts from an AR15 extractor inside the spring for extra holding strength.

No knock on Kenny's extractor at all. Its hard as all get out. My file wouldn't even cut it and yeah....it took a while to stone it to fit.

:roflol:

Yeah, the first one I did took one swipe of the file to figure out that wasn't going to fly. They are a pain to fit but they also work out well in the end.

Sounds like you should be all fixed up now :cheers:

I wish I was a gunsmith with alot of time on my hands to figure the issues out with the pro. Mine is fine now but man it just literally quit extracting eventually. I have buntches of rounds through it so far after getting it back from S&W. It is now perfect again (so far). The sheet I got with the gun said they replaced the extractor and "adjusted" the barrel. It just seems odd that the extractor quit working and a replacement fixed the problem. Most think they are polishing the chambers as part of the fix as well. When mine started screwing up it was one every 100 rounds or so. And by the end of two more matches it would FTE two times a stage. I just wish I knew for sure what was the problem and if it will come back! Good luck with yours.

I spoke with an employee of S&W who informed me that they are apparently having tolerance stacking issues with the MIM extractors. They have had discussion of going to a machined version to minimize the variation. Some extractors seem to have minor variation and will go longer before a problem appears while others have problems right out of the box due to gross variation. Every M&P that comes in is carefully measured and documented and test fired to ensure they are working on the proper solution to the problem. Sounds like S&W is aware of the problem and following their procedure to work toward a solution. And they are keeping tabs on the numbers so that they have an idea of the percentage of guns affected as well.

I went out Friday and test fired my friends gun and it worked well with the newly fitted SSS extractor. 200 rounds and no issues. Gonna keep an eye on it and see how it continues to work. Also tried the secondary spring and just couldn't get the correct tension. So I ended up using two black rubber inserts that go inside the extractor spring of an AR15 bolt and tension was increased and much more uniform feeling and it fed without feeling the notch of the case rim jamming under the extractor when using the secondary spring.

from what I can tell, the M&P likes the extractor on the loose side. It will actually reliably push feed a round.

Mike, what do you mean by "push feed a round?" I've never heard that term before.

Thanks,

Daniel

An AR push feeds cartridges; the extractor only snaps over the case rim as the case is seated in the chamber.

lots of bolt guns do this to. Pre 1964 winchesters are a classic case of controlled feeding.

Controlled feeding has some connotations of increased reliability, I think most mentions of this are anecdotal.

A properly built 1911 will strip and chamber a round without an extractor installed (a good diagnostic test to check 1911 feeding issues).

A controlled feed gun has the rim slip up under the extractor as its being chambered.

mike