Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New copper-colored Wolf Primers

ben b.

I am now loading some copper-colored Wolf SP primers, which I received in July 2009. They seem to be harder to ignite than the many thousands of gold-colored Wolf primers I used before. My striker-fired plastic gun, recently outfitted with a lighter spring to ease trigger pull, is not reliably popping these.

Anyone else notice anything about copper-colored Wolf primers?

Gracias,

Ben

I am now loading some copper-colored Wolf SP primers, which I received in July 2009. They seem to be harder to ignite than the many thousands of gold-colored Wolf primers I used before. My striker-fired plastic gun, recently outfitted with a lighter spring to ease trigger pull, is not reliably popping these.

Gracias,

Ben

Jeez, I'm wondering what's going on at Wolf...gold, copper and now nickle-plated. To (not) answer your question, I have no experience with the "copper-colored" primers but their new nickle plated SPP are definitely harder to light than Winchester or Federal. I've rigged up a new lightened Glockworx FP using a trimmed down OEM spring to test on my next trip. The Lightning Strike steel FP and Wolff RPFPS has been 100% reliable until meeting the Wolf primers but it is totally unreliable with them.

Gracias,

Ben

I just got an order of Wolf SR copper-colored primers, and had trouble the

first 100 rounds (2-3 didn't go off). But, haven't had that problem for the

last 200 - 300 rounds?:)) So, maybe - I'm going to keep them for practice

until I've fired more and confirmed they're working.

Ben,

I have noticed this also. Nasty suprise at a recent match. The main spring in my CZ has set off all other primers, CCI, Win, Mag Tech, etc. But it had trouble with the Wolf. I switched to a full power main and that solved it. The recent primer shortage has caused me to use whatever I can get, when I run out of Wolf I'll be using S & B primers.

when I run out of Wolf I'll be using S & B primers.

I had much more problem with the S & B primers - had 20 - 30% not

go bang in my TruBor 9mm major - works perfectly with WW primers

and 99% with the Wolf. Doesn't like the S & B's.

Jack

I've had pretty much the same experience with respect to S&B, Wolf, and WW primers in my Open gun.

Just a FWIW on the new nickle-plated Wolf SPP...

After having problems with reliable ignition running a G-34 with a Lightning Strike lightened steel striker and 4 LB Wolff RPFPS I experiemnted a bit today with a different setup. Using a Glockworx lightened SS striker with a Glock OEM spring minus precisely 4-coils ran them 100%. Just judging from the firing pin marks on spent cases, could probably drop another coil or two. They just need a little harder slap than the 4 LB Wolff spring puts on em'. The modified OEM spring setup isn't nearly as nice as the Wolff RPFPS but still better than OEM.

Send me a pm if your unhappy with them and let's work a deal.

Not sure it's worth it = with the cross country freight and the Haz fee.

But, if you're going to be at the Nationals in Las Vegas, next month,

is it possible for me to get them there by plane from New York?

Otherwise, I'll try them in my Browning HP and hopefully that will set them off.

But, thanks for the offer. Jack

Not sure it's worth it = with the cross country freight and the Haz fee.

You won't be able to ship hazmat without hazmat training, a hazmat contract from UPS, and an contract agreeing to pay the cost of any hazmat cleanup even if UPS is at fault for the hazmat spill.