Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ooook... Anybody know what happend here?

SLM

I would clean your extractor / and tunnel, and inspect it real well while cleaning it. Then if it doesnt get any better, change out the mag spring. I change my mag springs at least once a year even if they dont seem to need it.

Mag springs and extractors have a useable life span. Then it's nothing but trouble. :)

Is it possible that the round got forced into the mag as you dropped it?

ETA: You could have had a malfunction, but it not be the round in the mag. Did you see it there before you pitched the mag? You could have all sorts of issues in your mag, and that round on top have nothing to do with it if it got in there as you dropped the mag.

Edited by kgunz11

I'm going to give it a thorough cleaning before this weekend. It wasn't more that 500 rounds ago that I did the extractor/tunnel, firing pin bore, etc but that doesn't matter. I'm not a big fan of going that far into cleaning and not being able to test the gun out before a major match but... As the saying goes, ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

Looking at that, I'd say darn near anything is possible! Improbably yes, impossible no. :wacko::cheers:

I have shot waaay too many matches indoors( saw a gal trip on a ejected mag do a somersault and break her heel on the concrete floor) ok....how about this, we have already established the mag was probably dropped on the concrete, which as we all know, will force the remaning rounds down in the mag(and sometimes turnin em backwards in said dropped mag) what if also, weak extractor tension PLUS a compromised shooting position, ie. gun doesnt fully recoil/extract said round, and only mearly feeds the empty back into the mag???? Ive seen short cycled guns feed the just shot empty back into the chamber, never clearing thegun....never back in the mag tho...

I had something like that happen but the bullet was on the ground at my feet. A round was not crimped the bullet came out of the case. The powder messed up the mag, the empty brass was twisted around.

I had something like that happen but the bullet was on the ground at my feet. A round was not crimped the bullet came out of the case. The powder messed up the mag, the empty brass was twisted around.

This sounds like a good explanation. The red stripe on the empty case is awful bright to have been fired. I could be dead wrong, though.

I'll get some new springs ordered up for them. I took a good look at the extractor last night and didn't see anything wrong with it. Like I said, it will hold a loaded round just fine and even with no mag ejection is out the port without issue. Could be time for new springs in it too.

Maybe when my mag tuner comes out of retirement I'll send these tubes his way for a check up along with another that is in dire need of his genius! :cheers::cough:Howard:cough:

Brass could bounce off the ejection port...scope...a near-by wall or window...etc Any number of things. It may be one in a thousand that it made it back to where it did. Or, it may be 1 in 5 (from what it bounces on) that it wants to go down the hole in live fire when nothing is keeping it from doing so (a round under it in the mag).

The sticky mags (salt shaker) allow it to happen. Ejection tuning may or may not be a contributing issue.

Brass could bounce off the ejection port...scope...a near-by wall or window...etc Any number of things. It may be one in a thousand that it made it back to where it did. Or, it may be 1 in 5 (from what it bounces on) that it wants to go down the hole in live fire when nothing is keeping it from doing so (a round under it in the mag).

The sticky mags (salt shaker) allow it to happen. Ejection tuning may or may not be a contributing issue.

Yep, definitely an odd duck. That mag and the one like it are INOP until I get new springs/followers for them. They are the easiest thing to eliminate for testing. As of now it's a once in 5K+ thing for me since I've got that gun. Time will tell if something else has also gone TU and when Howard comes back to mag tuning I'll have give those tubes a once over so I can eliminate those from the equation.

Oh, and the gun has been run dry several times in live fire (a lot of different chrono testing and a couple matches) and nothing like this has shown up. I think you mentioned that before.