Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Major in an XD Tactical?

B_Seehawer

I work with a guy that is wondering if you can shoot major loads in an XD Tactical with a 5" Bar-sto barrel. Is it gonna blow up?

ganderman

What caliber?

Why would he want to? There's really no division in IDPA or USPSA in which such a gun would be competitive. In IDPA SSP or ESP he'd be going up against people armed with 9mms running standard pressure ammo. There would be no advantage - and a big disadvantage - to running ammo that heavily recoiling in a noncompensated auto pistol. In USPSA only Open division even allows Major 9, he'd be charting new territory in building an XD Open gun - read: VERY expensive - and when he was done find himself going up against people using (in all probability) far more durable and reliable 1911 pattern pistols; that's even assuming he could find someone willing to weld a few XD mags together to give him a competitive big stick, and all the other parts that would need to be created from scratch to build an Open XD. I'm just not seeing the rationale here. Unless he's extremely rich and eccentric and just has money to waste.

Maybe he's just wondering if he could, in essence, create a quite powerful 9mm defensive platform. I have wondered about loading some heavier loaded 40 cal for my double stack and still have a safe, but quite powerful side arm. Sort of in the realm of what pistol for defense against an angry bear.

Why would he want to? There's really no division in IDPA or USPSA in which such a gun would be competitive. In IDPA SSP or ESP he'd be going up against people armed with 9mms running standard pressure ammo. There would be no advantage - and a big disadvantage - to running ammo that heavily recoiling in a noncompensated auto pistol. In USPSA only Open division even allows Major 9, he'd be charting new territory in building an XD Open gun - read: VERY expensive - and when he was done find himself going up against people using (in all probability) far more durable and reliable 1911 pattern pistols; that's even assuming he could find someone willing to weld a few XD mags together to give him a competitive big stick, and all the other parts that would need to be created from scratch to build an Open XD. I'm just not seeing the rationale here. Unless he's extremely rich and eccentric and just has money to waste.

I think springer precision already has all you need for an open XD ready to go right now.

We sell all the parts you need to make an open XD, so you don't have to make them from scratch.

Are you calling my Open XD 9mm customers foolish? ;) Yes, I have welded up big sticks and them XDM has a 170mm base pads available. It might not be as crazy or expensive as you are thinking it is. There are tons of open Glocks out there, and the XD has a sturdier rail system.

I stand corrected. Well, I'm sitting, but you know what I mean.

BTW, for those looking for an "extremely powerful defensive platform" with 9mm, just FYI, my Glock 34 firing factory Winchester 127-gr. SXT +P+, which is what I carry in it on a daily basis, makes Major. Albeit barely, it went 165.8 over my chrono, but Major nonetheless. :D

Just a word of caution when shooting major 9mm, make sure the barrel is fully supported. I have seen a few after market barrels that didn't have enough support which can cause a catastrophic case failure which can cause the frame to crack. This lack of support can also come from someone over cutting the feed ramp for better feeding reliability.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...
Are you calling my Open XD 9mm customers foolish? ;) Yes, I have welded up big sticks and them XDM has a 170mm base pads available. It might not be as crazy or expensive as you are thinking it is. There are tons of open Glocks out there, and the XD has a sturdier rail system.

IMG_1145.jpg

IMG_1146.jpg

IMG_1148.jpg

Somebody say open XD???

Dave