Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Production Autopistol?

Wayne Dobbs

If the intent is new shooters then my take on holsters is, if a holster is safe for a open or metallic gun it sure is safe for a production gun .

Tom

As long as the participants understand that the sanctioned matches may not allow their gear, this is a great and practical answer.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Craig, the problem you'll have with the 147's is the lead on the mover. Unless you shoot major pf, your hold will be off the paper on the mover, and that's tough. I found this out this year, I bought an XDm in .40 for Bianchi production and IPSC production. I was shooting 155's, but even with 135's(lightest .40 you can get), my hold would be off the paper.

In my opionion, the XD package is ideal for IPSC or Bianchi production, it gives you everything you need to shoot either, all for one price. I did put aftermarket springs and a sear in mine to get a better trigger, $60 total to get a shorter, 3.7lb trigger.

I hadn't noticed needing that much lead before when shooting my 45 ACP on the mover. Velocity of my 200 gr loads

is around 900 fps- the same as my 147 9mm loads. But I haven't shot this game much so I will take the advice of

those that have. My gun shoots the 115 fine, it just shoots the 147 better or at least when I'm pulling the trigger it does.

One thing I noticed is that so many shooters don't even take their first shot on the mover until it's almost straight ahead.

I get out of the holster and on the target by the time it's maybe 6-8 feet out from the wall. I usually have at least 3 shots

on the target before it's straight ahead of me. I don't like chasing it.

Craig

I have my doubts about the 6-8 feet out for the first shot. The target moves at 10 fps and you must be really fast out of the holster to your first shot if you're making that kind of speed! That works out to .6 to .8 seconds! The three shots by mid travel I can believe if you shoot fast as that's only 3 seconds out of the chute. You might try slowing down a bit, get on the target, and have a good follow-through just like shooting skeet. That prevents "chasing" the target as you mentioned.

Using 900 fps loads, the leads are 4, 6, 8, and 10 inches respectively at 10, 15, 20 and 25 yds, so there's not that much to overcome in that department. The target is 9" to center, so you're 1" off the target at the 25 yd line, with aiming points on the 10 ring at 10 yds, on the 8 ring at 15 yds, and then 2" outside the 8 ring at the 20 yd line.

Check out the posts in the Mover section on here and it will be clearer than I've made it here.

See you in Columbia!

Alan~^~

I have my doubts about the 6-8 feet out for the first shot. The target moves at 10 fps and you must be really fast out of the holster to your first shot if you're making that kind of speed! That works out to .6 to .8 seconds! The three shots by mid travel I can believe if you shoot fast as that's only 3 seconds out of the chute. You might try slowing down a bit, get on the target, and have a good follow-through just like shooting skeet. That prevents "chasing" the target as you mentioned.

Using 900 fps loads, the leads are 4, 6, 8, and 10 inches respectively at 10, 15, 20 and 25 yds, so there's not that much to overcome in that department. The target is 9" to center, so you're 1" off the target at the 25 yd line, with aiming points on the 10 ring at 10 yds, on the 8 ring at 15 yds, and then 2" outside the 8 ring at the 20 yd line.

Check out the posts in the Mover section on here and it will be clearer than I've made it here.

See you in Columbia!

Alan~^~

Maybe a slight miswording on my part........I didn't say my first shot was necessarily within 6-8 feet, only that I was up on target. Where I shoot it's easy to react to the mover starting. And it may be starting farther behind the wall than other clubs which would give more prep time. I don't know if there is a standard on this or not. But it takes maybe .5 second just for the target to clear the wood wall.

Yes I probably shoot too fast but I seldom shoot this game. USPSA and 3 Gun are where I usually play.

Thanks for the tips and lead figures. I will try them out next time I shoot a match.

Craig

At the Cup, you'll have no such lead time. The target and carrier are completely covered (hidden) until suddenly there's the target! No sagging of the pull ropes and no motor hum to alert you that it's on its way. At some of the local matches, as you said, any of the mentioned things can alert you as well as squeaking pulleys, but not at the BIG match.

Alan~^~

At the Cup, you'll have no such lead time. The target and carrier are completely covered (hidden) until suddenly there's the target! No sagging of the pull ropes and no motor hum to alert you that it's on its way. At some of the local matches, as you said, any of the mentioned things can alert you as well as squeaking pulleys, but not at the BIG match.

Alan~^~

Practice with your ears turned OFFFFFFFF! Try and not watching the string and concentrate on just the covered barricade for the target to appear!!! Also make sure your mover is at the correct rate of speed! I know that some clubs run theirs fast thinking it will help them in Columbia, having more time. I think it plays with your timing!!!!

Kim

• 2 months later...

Okay, "Best pistol is very subjective" What I was looking for is something that had adjustable sights and would group at 50yd <6". According to others on this and other forums the rules for AP favor the G34 Glock. Pending the end of the auction I shall be the owner of a new G34.

I know it will require testing to proove a great load but I'm looking for advice on an acceptable place to start for accurate loads in this pistol. What are others using or what powder/bullet combination to get the group tight downrange.

Next question, Are there things that can be done to the Glock to improve accuracy within the rules for NRA production class. Is there someone who specializes in Glock accuracy?

Thanks

My Glock 17 will shoot about 2" at 25y and 5" at 50y with me behind it and UMC 125gr in it. Stock out of the box nothing done except to align the sights.

I have yet to try and make some real slick ammo for it, but I have seen better and worse groups out of Glocks.

Get some good 125gr JHP projectiles and new brass, make some good ammo and practice lots. The G34 will work really well for AP Prod.

Edited by gm iprod

That's a Performance Center gun therefore it is not eligible for Production.

Performance center guns aren't eligible? why not, it's a production model...ALL of the performance center guns are production model guns...please explain....thanks....I mainly ask because I was considering something similar for production shooting :unsure:

I was just going to point out that the 5906 in the picture was Single Action only. You can tell by the slide mounted safety. I just saw one of those listed on Gun Broker. I was thrilled till I saw the dang SA only function.

hmmm, maybe the one on GB had just been modded to an SA only action?? I hope this is the case....I would really like one of these for production shooting (when and if I start doing that)....a gun of this quality for under a grand (used)....I love the thought

Also has an Aristocrat rear. Big No No.

Actually, it looks like the PPC model S&W came out with.

Barrel is too long.

yes it is the PPC....def. a no no on that barrel length....but by your observation the 5" would also be out of bounds?