Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need a Durable, Inexpensive Knock About Watch

My cheap ass Timex that I wear to the range and when running errands took a near fatal blow this weekend. It's still running but I don't know why and actually looks little worse for the wear (don't ask). But I've put the little guy through a lot over the past couple years and I'm pretty sure it's going to croak soon so it's time to look for a replacement watch (time to look, watch, get it? I crack myself up sometimes...)

My needs are simple. Inexpensive, durable, non-bulky, simple black basic analog watch. Period. I'm probably going to go right back to another cheap ass Timex watch with a crummy nylon band. But I figure that there ought to be at least a couple other choices. Anyone have a favorite knock-about watch that might fit the bill?

P.S. In this case, I define inexpensive as anything under $75. Cheap is under $50 and cheap ass is closer to $35.

Edited by Graham Smith

CASIO. You probably won't find a G-Shock for <$75, but they have a pile of different

models in your price range. I've been wearing them for 25 years, and haven't had one

just quit yet. I have broken a few--but it took some serious effort.

I bought a cheap ass timeX at wally world for arround 30$ it is simple, basic, and more over ihave had it for 2 years and its still ticking..so id say its somewhat durable

Edited by chefcs5

I am really hard on my work watches. Casio G-shock all the way. I am on my second one in 15 years. The 1st one is still being worn by a friend. I have had to replace the watch band on my newer one(8-9 years old) and that is it. Timex watches would last me about 6 months to a year.

Randy

http://www.target.com/Casio-Standard-G-Sho...;rh=&page=3

Edited by h2osport

Refound my favorite "beater" watch. I had one in Korea, Airborne School, Ft. Bragg, Flight Medic School & Afghanistan. It bit the dust when we came home last year. Couldn't find another 'til I was at Nellis AFB after the wedding (BTW...the Nellis BX is getting ready to sell ammo and I think guns!).

Timex Ironman Triathalon. Velcro band.

Rich

If you want something analog, here is what I've been wearing for the last year after wearing the Timex Ironman for about the last 6.

I've looked at them in the past. Nice watch but not anywhere near my price range. Now this is more in my price range.

+1 on the Timex Ironman Triathlon. I'm on my 3rd one,

All the things I did wile in the ARMY.. Name a dangerous, dirty, wet, cold thing you can do.

I did it with a Timex Ironman Triathlon watch.

It was cheap and they had them at the PX, not the BIG px,,,

All the things I did wile in the ARMY... Timex took a licking and kept on ticking. (Yes I just dated myself)

Jim M ammo

I bought a G-Shock G-9000 on ebay a while back, and absolutely love it. Those can be found for approx 60 bucks plus shipping on ebay.

But as you say they have a bunch of models and I can't which is the best for you. look at what features you want/must have and pick one based on that. Boring advice I know, but its basically the best I can do...

Went through a couple G-Shocks in my military career. Still have one somewhere....

Now have an Ironman Triathalon, going on three or four years great watch.

I also have a nice Swiss Army watch, I also wouldn't call it a beater watch. It's my nicer, dress up watch, along with a couple others....

Having said that, my main watch now seems to be my iPhone ;)

:cheers: If you have a kohl's in your area, they are discontinuing Wenger swiss watches. I just picked a couple up for about $50.00 give or take $10.00. Probably on the the best and toughest watch you will ever buy. I distroyed several Timex watches and will never own anough one. The casio is definatley the better choice nd they are running about 35-40.00 at wally world. Wenger stands by their watches and they warrenty them for life. just a thought.

:cheers: If you have a kohl's in your area, they are discontinuing Wenger swiss watches. I just picked a couple up for about $50.00 give or take $10.00. Probably on the the best and toughest watch you will ever buy. I distroyed several Timex watches and will never own anough one. The casio is definatley the better choice nd they are running about 35-40.00 at wally world. Wenger stands by their watches and they warrenty them for life. just a thought.

I just checked Kohls at your suggestion and they had several old model Wenger watches marked 60% off..... (several Bulovas also.... )

They had a Titanium Standard Issue with Blue face and luminous hands for a little over $100 if you stacked your coupons right. And Kohls always has coupons. Hmmm.