Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So, I am a 'new' shooter...

neiltus

I am very interested in shooting USPSA (maybe IDPA too because they shoot more often). I have a pretty active club nearby so that is a big plus...

Considering I am new to this, I am not new to shooting or shooting in competition (did trap and skeet for years). I don't mind an excuse to purchase another firearm, and no, money is really not an issue.

Now for the questions part...I thought the natural place would be limited, however a friend advised me to shoot production for the first year (to get better and not be frustrated by my scoring). I would like to shoot a 9mm because, well, I can find the ammo easily. I already have a ton of firearms chambered in 9mm and don't want to fool with another caliber (.40). So, that really limits me in limited.

Now, I thought for a second I should just jump into open and shoot whatever for production for IDPA/fun stuff.

Anyone shoot glocks in open? Will this put me at a disadvantage?

Should I go with a mod 34 and get a ported barrel (thinking bar-sto) or should I go with a 17 and get a comp put on it (briley)? Would shooting 9mm major loads with just a ported barrel put me at a disadvantage?

Does a 9mm major load (like Atlanta arm's) kick like a mule (think 357 sig out of a glock 33) or does it faintly resemble a traditional 9mm load?

I was thinking of melting in a jpoint or doctor on a glock as I already have those sights. Would this be a disadvantage to a more traditional rig with the sight mounted higher?

Am I completely off by barking up the glock tree (don't like them much, rarely carry them, but they do have their place).

Anyone shoot a sig platform in open (think x-5 or x-6)? Thought about that, but the lack of aftermarket items really has me concerned...

So fellas, confuse me more!

Edited by neiltus

It sounds like you already have a 17 and a 34, so I would just pick one and shoot it in production for your first few matches. Later on, after you learn more of the rules, you can always switch to open.

While Glocks don't fit my hand; if you have 'em, shoot em! Otherwise, pick what you have and shoot that in a class. Realistically, your first few matches will press your pistol skills past where most folks ever go. So go happy and use whatever you like! Picking a division depends on a lot of factors, but you don't really have to yet, do you?

My biggest suggestions would be:

1. Pick a gun you really like.

2. Pick one that fits your hands.

3. Pick one you'd carry.

4. Figure out what USPSA and IDPA divisions it goes in, and shoot those.

Leam

Edited by leam

Get the 17 and shoot.

Maybe have SJC build an Open blaster with it down the road.

Join the USPSA today too.

Welcome to the best shooters forum...period.

:cheers:

Not much to say about Glocks except to say they work real well, are reliable, more accurate than about anyone shooting them, and you have them. A lot of folks shoot and win with Glocks.

Keep it simple, pick a 9mm Glock, shoot Production and see if you like the game. Be very aware of safety as it applies to the pistol world.

Run whatcha brung. A Glock 34 is the most prolific production gun out there. They shoot reliably and they shoot well. A ported barrel moves you to open division and if that's the only mod (no optics,etc) it wouldn't be competitive. The Atlanta Arms ammo will be softer shooting than most off the shelf ammo.

Best thing to do is come to a match and watch then ask a few questions. I used to shoot trap also and I love this game way more than I ever did shooting trap. It's fast and furious at times but always exciting.

While Glocks don't fit my hand; if you have 'em, shoot em! Otherwise, pick what you have and shoot that in a class. Realistically, your first few matches will press your pistol skills past where most folks ever go. So go happy and use whatever you like! Picking a division depends on a lot of factors, but you don't really have to yet, do you?

My biggest suggestions would be:

1. Pick a gun you really like.

2. Pick one that fits your hands.

3. Pick one you'd carry.

4. Figure out what USPSA and IDPA divisions it goes in, and shoot those.

Leam

If glocks don't fit your hand, what do you shoot...just being curious?

We shoot Springfield XD's for production at our house. Never shot a match with a Glock, but in casual shooting they didn't seem to "fit" our hands as well as the XD's. Shot a friends S&W MP and it seemed okay. Do a search, there is a lot of talk about Glock vs. XD vs. M&P, all have pluses, really a personal choice.

Just don't wait, get to a match! A good example is a new competitor at our club is shooting a Ruger P series in 45. I would not reccomend you go buy one, but it is what he had. He bought a couple of extra mags and has shot about five matches in the last two months. All the while he has been asking about other people's gear, trying a mag full from others guns and making plans for a gun and gear that he will compete with in the future. He is figuring out what division he wants to compete in. On the other hand another guy buys a couple of 1911's before he has ever shot a match, decided they didn't work for him, and has finally settled on an XDM and is getting along great, but has put in an uproductive year shooting many club matches and a couple of big matches without gaining much skill until he finally found a platform he likes.

Welcome!

Check out the S&W M&P, they come with three different size inserts for the handle. S&W also has a great life time warranty! :cheers:

A.T.

No worries with curious! For a while I shot a G22. Before that I shot a SIG SP2022 and that fit my hand the best of all. Unfortunately, I had to sell most everything--I'm an early adopter to the bad economy.

At the moment I shoot a 1911 Sistema with rubber grips. Not ideal, but the flex and give of the rubber makes up for the lack of perfit fit. Tried holding but not shooting an XDM and that was pretty good too.

I have long thin fingers, so a good fit is hard to find. Regular folks should be easier to fit.

Leam

Glocks have never fit my hands either. That is until my hands learned how to grip it. ;)

Man, I wish I could. I bought my first Glock in 1994 and I've shot a bunch of them since and no matter what I've tried they beat up my fingers within a couple of hundred rounds. I normally limit myself to 200 rounds max on range days and have to tape up two fingers and sometimes three. I'll still put several thousand rounds through them every year as that's what I carry, but I can't practice with them as much as I'd like. In contrast I can put as many rounds through my M&P or 1911/2011 as I want and I'll get tired/bored before anything starts to hurt. I am going to spend a little more time with a G21 the next chance I get because they don't seem to catch me in quite the same place, but it would be a bit big for me to conceal under a suit since I'm not a big guy. I don't own one, but I've thought about adding a G17 to practice with since it's got a bit less snap than my Glock .40s....any excuse to buy another gun right?

As much as I didn't want to do it, I went with an M&P Pro for a Production rig. That really hurt as I have a ton of Glock stuff. Heck, I think I have 20 G22 mags alone (yes, I bought them since Uncle Sammy will want his back some day). R,

Edited by G-ManBart

I thought the natural place would be limited, I would like to shoot a 9mm . I already have a ton of firearms chambered in 9mm

Exactly. Shoot one of your 9mm's in limited - you pick it - the one you shoot the best, and try it. Just to get started. After a while, you'll learn what you like.

Now, I thought for a second I should just jump into open See above. Shoot what you have to start, try out some OPEN guns and see if you want to go that way,

later - for now, stick to 9mm limited division - you'll have a blast, and you're not going to wine your first few months, just LEARN.

Does a 9mm major load (like Atlanta arm's) kick like a mule (think 357 sig out of a glock 33) or does it faintly resemble a traditional 9mm load? Try one out at the range, but with the compensator, the 9mm major loads are loud, but don't really kick at all, IMHO.

Am I completely off by barking up the glock tree (don't like them much, rarely carry them, but they do have their place). If you don't like them, don't use them. Stay with what you currently have and work your way in - by the way, take an IPSC course somewhere as soon as you can - really worth it.

Good luck. Jack