Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Expanding foam anyone?

Has anyone used the expanding (AB type or otherwise) for making a custom equipment case?

This is not gun related but for work equipment.

The case doesn't have to be super-great - but it does need to be light. So that being said, I'm thinking about buying one of the thinner plastic cases and making my own padding.

Thanks in advance!

Has anyone used the expanding (AB type or otherwise) for making a custom equipment case?

The case doesn't have to be super-great - but it does need to be light. So that being said, I'm thinking about buying one of the thinner plastic cases and making my own padding.

Thanks in advance!

How about that expanding foam insulation in an aersol can from Home Depot? I wasn thinking of using that (plus a bunch of saran wrap or wax paper) to customize a Pelican type case for my open gun.

Or something like this: http://www.cryovac.com/products/protective...uick/quick.html

Edited by Jeff686

I have a vendor that does this for everything they sell. They take a cardboard box and shoot some foam into it then while it is still soft they place a piece of plastic on top and set the equipment on it and push it about half way in. Lay on another piece of plastic and shoot more foam on that, another hunk of plastic, close and tape the box shut.

They have it worked out to meter the right amount of foam. It's hell to get the equipment out of sometimes but it is very well fitted. We did get a part one time where the piece of plastic on top of the equipment was forgotten. That one went right back.

Thanks in advance!

So i am thinking a layer of plastic add non-expanding foam layer of plastic then felt. Add gun, plastic, felt, more foam, plastic and close case. it might work

The trick is going to be getting the right amount of foam in the box. You can literally blow your case or your box apart if you have too much foam in it. Be sure to check the expansion rate of the foam you buy. Even then you will be running a risk.

We use that foam in construction. You can literally bend a Good solid door jamb if you put too much between the jamb & the support studs. Don't ask me how I know! hahaha.

Good luck & post your results.

MLM

You have to have the correct foam. There are lots of different expansion rates and ratios on the a/b chemicals. If you get one with really high expansion ratio, you will have a hard time keeping it to the size you want. Most of the foams are not what I would call padding. They are STICKY as H!LL! Acetone will not touch the stuff for clean up.

It is also pretty difficult to spray the foam to a form without having air pockets. The stuff that they use for shipping has a relatively slow expansion rate, and you use a plastic sheet or bag to keep the foam off of your item.

The stuff is light, and pretty tough. Not at all cooperative with sunlight.

Randy

I was using Great Stuff (expanding foam from home depot) and I got some on my forearm. I didn't think too much about it because both of my hands were busy at the moment. When I wiped it off a few minutes later, it didn't want to come off. The next day I had a hole in my arm!

Most expandable foams are like super glue until they dry - they will ruin clothes - and they are not easily manageable. You may end up ruining the carrying case trying to make it better. My vote would be to find an alternative, unless you're already comfortable working with the stuff.

We used the expanding foam a lot to ship equipment when I was in the military. The problem is that while it is great for shipping items a couple of times, or long term storage, it doesn't hold up well to repeated inserts and removal. The foam (after curing) is fairly brittle and doesn't flex like memory foam.

So if you are looking for protection for items that will be inserted and removed several time, I would not recommend the expanding foam.

We used the expanding foam a lot to ship equipment when I was in the military. The problem is that while it is great for shipping items a couple of times, or long term storage, it doesn't hold up well to repeated inserts and removal. The foam (after curing) is fairly brittle and doesn't flex like memory foam.

So if you are looking for protection for items that will be inserted and removed several time, I would not recommend the expanding foam.

This is the other part of the puzzle that I was after. This needs to be fairly durable for repeated insertions.

Other than my curiosity (I love the "Great Stuff" in a can), I was hoping that this would be lighter too.

So, it looks like the pick-n-pluck may be the answer.

And, yeah, I almost blew a door apart using the canned stuff...hollow door that needed some re-inforcement. I mean, who woulda thunk?!

I guess I'll look up Pelican and do it right...thanks!