Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Falling Out Of Gun

JimmyZip

I have a CZ TS that I bought from a friend a few months back. I am having an issue with the mags falling out of the gun at the most inopportune moments. (middle of a stage) I don't seem to be hitting the mag release, and it doesn't happen with regularity, just intermittently.

The only thing I have done to the pistol is trim the inside of the wood grips where two ribs on each panel were bearing on the magazines preventing them from droping free. (only the stock 10 rounders, not the 17 rounders)

I am at a loss as to why. It doesn't happen with any one mag in particular.

I did notice that there isn't much engagement with the release in the first place, meaning it doesn't seem to stick out into the well very much. I asked the previous owner if he had shaved it down some, and he said no. He also stated that he didn't have this problem.

I fired the pistol without the grips on for a practice session, and it still occured one again.

What could the problem be?

Do any of you know what the dimensions of the release should be?

I plan on running it with the ten rounders to see if this happens with them. I have only shot the 17 + basepads, so do not know if this occurs with the stock mags.

Any ideas, or flat out resolutions would be a great help.

Thanks, Jimmy.

two things I can think of..

there is not enough engagement of the mag release or you are hitting the button.

have you tried just moving the mag around while inserted and seeing if you can break it loose ( to check the engagement of the release)

if it stays..then I'd guess your hitting it and not knowing it. the release on the TS is pretty long..

I'd probably order a new one from CZ..then you'd be able to compare the two..if the same..I'd then trim one slightly and see how that works with your grip.

if the engagement is small..and you are just slightly bumping it, it might be enough to release it.

Is it randomly occuring with all the hicap mags, or just one? Make sure you mark your mags and note which one falls out. If its just one, or a select few, Measure the width of the mags at the mag release catch hole, compare it to the others. Maybe one mag is out of spec.

If its all of them as Stu said, get a new mag release and start from scratch.

From my experience and from a few fellow shooters using CZ TS, more likely you are leaving your left hand too close to the mag release, and during the recoil movement it gets pressed. I got it solved by making sure that my weak hand is far back as possible for a good grip. The other fellow shooters “shaved” the top of the mag release, making it shorter. It is a pain in the neck to remove the mag release. It is held by a screw with the head pinned down.

By any chance, do the magazines drop if you shoot strong hand only? If it is yes, it more likely the source of the problem is the mag release.

Hope this helps.

Do you have the extended basepads? Make sure the top of the basepad is not hitting the frame/magwell. You will get the mag to hang on so/so but it will come tumbling out after a couple shots. If you have the extended basepads I would toss a regular basepad on and see if the problem goes away. If it does then you can dress the basepads so they clear the magwell/frame.

Do you have the extended basepads? Make sure the top of the basepad is not hitting the frame/magwell. You will get the mag to hang on so/so but it will come tumbling out after a couple shots. If you have the extended basepads I would toss a regular basepad on and see if the problem goes away. If it does then you can dress the basepads so they clear the magwell/frame.

Neomet,

I think you may have the answer. I tried to wiggle the mags in the gun, and they would not come out. I checked them , and the 17 rounders were a bit bigger, so I know they should not release on their own. What I did notice, is that the top of the extended base pad IS hitting the frame. I will dress one and see how it functions. I will polish up the squared top edge, and see what I get.

Thanks again,

JZ

Neomet,

I think you may have the answer. I tried to wiggle the mags in the gun, and they would not come out. I checked them , and the 17 rounders were a bit bigger, so I know they should not release on their own. What I did notice, is that the top of the extended base pad IS hitting the frame. I will dress one and see how it functions. I will polish up the squared top edge, and see what I get.

Thanks again,

JZ

Since I bought my TS direct from the custom shop all "tricked out", I can't speak to the stock plastic magwell, but the aluminum mag extensions must absolutely be modified to work with the larger aluminum custom shop magwell. The mags will appear to seat without mods, but if you pull on them, they will come out - it's not like they fall out easily, but it could definitely happen under recoil.

Make sure that the catch is really engaging the mags; there is a definite 'click' when it engages. If you don't hear and feel a click when fully "seated", then it likely isn't properly engaging the mag catch.

Oh, and regular basepads won't clear the larger magwell either, AFAIK - but they should be fine in the stock one, I would think.

I've only had mags drop (slightly) twice. Both times (same stage twice) I was pushing the gun around a sharp right turn.

If I had been warned, I wouldn't have taken it seriously. Right or wrong, something changed in my grip and brushed the release.

• 1 year later...

Been shooting the plastic gun for the most part but was cleaning the TS and polishing the magwell when I noticed that the top edge of the magazine catch is radiused. This gun was previously owned by a southpaw. The catch was fit for a lefty, and when I swapped it over, I failed to notice this. As the spring has weakened just a bit, it has made ti possible for the mags to drop free.

I will order a new one, and be done with the whole ordeal.

JZ

I have a CZ TS that I bought from a friend a few months back. I am having an issue with the mags falling out of the gun at the most inopportune moments. (middle of a stage) I don't seem to be hitting the mag release, and it doesn't happen with regularity, just intermittently.

The only thing I have done to the pistol is trim the inside of the wood grips where two ribs on each panel were bearing on the magazines preventing them from droping free. (only the stock 10 rounders, not the 17 rounders)

I am at a loss as to why. It doesn't happen with any one mag in particular.

I did notice that there isn't much engagement with the release in the first place, meaning it doesn't seem to stick out into the well very much. I asked the previous owner if he had shaved it down some, and he said no. He also stated that he didn't have this problem.

I fired the pistol without the grips on for a practice session, and it still occured one again.

What could the problem be?

Do any of you know what the dimensions of the release should be?

I plan on running it with the ten rounders to see if this happens with them. I have only shot the 17 + basepads, so do not know if this occurs with the stock mags.

Any ideas, or flat out resolutions would be a great help.

Thanks, Jimmy.

I had the opposit problem, mine on occasion would not fall out of the gun when I wanted it to. Sent back in to CZ Custom and got better but still does occasionally. One guy at area 3 told me that it could be due to static electricity build up but that doesn't sound possible.

Been shooting the plastic gun for the most part but was cleaning the TS and polishing the magwell when I noticed that the top edge of the magazine catch is radiused. This gun was previously owned by a southpaw. The catch was fit for a lefty, and when I swapped it over, I failed to notice this. As the spring has weakened just a bit, it has made ti possible for the mags to drop free.

I will order a new one, and be done with the whole ordeal.

JZ

After reading the thread.. this makes the most sinse on why this was happening for sure. Glad you figured it out without having to send it somewhere. :cheers: