Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classifier Match

Ok we are planning to have a classifier match in late Sept or Oct and want to know what the shooters want to see and if the prices are right.

We are looking at getting a few sponsors for the match and having a small raffle, no guns or anything like that but some stuff like:

Custom Kydex type holsters, 2000-3000 cast bullets broke up in 500 or 1000 round boxes, maybe a box of primers, just small stuff like that and everybody would get a ticket at signup and after the match, have the drawing for the winners.

So what do you guys think?

thank for taking the time to answer,

Shawn Ginardi

I'm not in the area so I can't shoot it but for me a classifier match is either to get classified in a new division or try to move up a class. I don't need a field course, and I don't need a raffle. Classifiers matches are all business B)

good point, we are just at a point that we would like to raise some money for new props / some shade (pop up tent type) etc...

We are only charging $10.00 per match (6 stages) and it's hard to raise any money for anything.

I voted for 6 classifiers and no frills. IMHO the function of a classifier match is purely to allow shooters to classify either initially, or in divisions that they do not normally shoot.

Instead of doing a raffle, try to orchestrate it so that there will be several "lender" guns for competitors to borrow to get classified in divisions that they do not have a gun in. Without the kindness of gun lenders, there are only 4 divisions that I would be classed in. (you get funny looks when you call a Glock a single stack or revolver) ;)

If possible, try to streamline the match and give competitors the option of reshooting in a different division.

I voted for 4 Classifiers and 2 Field Courses.

You only need 4 classifiers to get a classification. Why shoot 2 more boring stages when you dont need to? Bring on the 32 rounds of FUN! :)

But its your best 4 scores that give initial class. With 6 stages, you can crash and burn without tanking your initial classification.

You only need 4 classifiers to get a classification. Why shoot 2 more boring stages when you dont need to? Bring on the 32 rounds of FUN! :)

But its your best 4 scores that give initial class. With 6 stages, you can crash and burn without tanking your initial classification.

Yep, I was going to run a 4 classifier match and had it pointed out to me that if a new guy zeros a stage they would not get classified. So, I have changed mine to a 6 classifier match. The fees paid to USPSA is the same for 4 classifiers as it is for 6.

I'm not in the area so I can't shoot it but for me a classifier match is either to get classified in a new division or try to move up a class. I don't need a field course, and I don't need a raffle. Classifiers matches are all business B)

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I think an important thing is to set up the match so those who want to can shoot multiple guns.

I live in an area that I might get 10 classifers at the most in a year unless I want to travel 3 hours one way. The classifiers I do get to shoot are too important to shoot them in a division I am not competing in.

The first special classifier match I shot, I was able to do it with 4 different guns. I was only classified in Limited but because of this match I was able to get a classification in Lim 10, open and singlestack. I looked at that match as years worth of classifiers I did all in one day. That one I traveled to and stayed overnight for it but it was worth it.

Finally the club I shoot at (over an hour drive but still closest) did a special classifier and because I had already had been able to classify in those others classes I shot open (because I was switching to it for this year) and revolver because that was one of the few I hadn't been able to shoot.

So I say don't look at it as being a match for fun but for business. Use the prizes to attact new shooters to a regular club match and then when they get hooked they can come back and shoot the special classifier and then your really got them.

Neal in AZ

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, I was going to run a 4 classifier match and had it pointed out to me that if a new guy zeros a stage they would not get classified. So, I have changed mine to a 6 classifier match. The fees paid to USPSA is the same for 4 classifiers as it is for 6.

Not true. They get $6 per shooter for 4 and $6.50 per shooter for 6 classifiers. I always keep it just classifiers. Try to set up a couple of the larger field course classifiers if you have room.

Tom

That's how I voted.I would rather just get the classifiers out of the way and have run running and gunning!!!