Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Area 3 is "NOT": full, come on out!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was a much more difficult match than it looked. There were a lot of quick feet stages and lots of options available to the shooter.

No kidding... between gun problems, running out of ammo on my last stage (freaking THREE reshoots), going minor, a really poor plan on a couple stages, and a couple "failure to execute the plan" stages...

I had a BAD match :)

But... shooting is kinda like sex and pizza... even when it sucks, its still good. Plus... Got to meet a few of y'all.

As an RO... I only had to DQ one person... guy had a case head separation. Blew the mag out, blew the extractor off (which we never did find), scared the crap out of him (and me) and he dropped his gun. Here I am, timer in hand, staring at the gun on the ground pointing at my foot (and the other competitors) and the first thought that went through my head was "what the hell just happened." It took me a second to for it to register before we called stop. The shooter did the right thing... as soon as the gun fell, he put his hands up in the air. He didn't try to catch it. Just one of those "high pucker factor" moments.

All in all, a great match. Although... I could have done without going prone on stage 1 :roflol:

Got some new powder to hopefully take care of the minor problem... but I'm gonna double check my powder measure as well.

Frank

Frank, yo uthe guy that lost his front sight?

I had a great time, didn't shoot as well as I had hoped made some mental foo-bars, but I came out a little more educated.

I keep looking at those limited and open guys and think how nice it would be to shoot and not reload as often. But for now I'll stick with my single stack.

Great Match guys!

Sounds like a fun match. Looks like most of the Kansas City guys did really well.

So, how did everyone shoot the stage with the long distance option?

Chris

Everyone in my squad shot the big popper from the start position. I heard someone sy it was 40 yards. Actually looked ALOT farther when you were standing there waiting for the beep :roflol:

This was a very good match in several ways. The stages were challenging and they should be for an Area match. There were options on the stages. The match ran smoothly and on time with no major waits for our squad. I would like to have had two more people on the squad to help with taping and resetting but we made it.

My complaint would be about the low ports. There were several low ports that sucked, and in my opinion should be eliminated from future matches. It is not a shooting challenge and tall people were at a disadvantage. Fat people and old people were at a bigger disadvantage. The boys should be separated from the men by the shooting not their flexibility and height and several of the low ports tested the latter rather than the former.

Fat people and old people were at a bigger disadvantage. The boys should be separated from the men by the shooting not their flexibility and height and several of the low ports tested the latter rather than the former.

hey, I resemble that remark and agree...... :surprise:

It was a very good match overall though.....challenging stages, very nice range, flowed very well and I made my 6:20 PM flight home. My kid also got 3rd Open Master so everything is good.

Lee

I can see the port thing as and issue it does effect some and not others due to height. At 5"11 they didn't really bother me. But it would be nice to see port options rather then one port, maybe multiple ports at different heights.

Coach wrote:

My complaint would be about the low ports. There were several low ports that sucked, and in my opinion should be eliminated from future matches. It is not a shooting challenge and tall people were at a disadvantage. Fat people and old people were at a bigger disadvantage. The boys should be separated from the men by the shooting not their flexibility and height and several of the low ports tested the latter rather than the former.

I talked to a buddy of mine Saturday evening after he just got done shooting the first day of Area 3. He mentioned "low ports", and I just knew that somebody would come on here to complain about them.

Now this is just my opinion and I don't want to get this thread locked down, but... if you know you are fat or NOT in shape and it affected your performance negatively at this past weekend's Area 3 match, well, maybe then you should internalize that as some sort of motivation to lose the weight and get in shape.

And getting back to the underlying principle of USPSA...DVC...Speed, Power, and Accuracy. It takes the right combination of all three at this sport to excell at it. Like somebody else has as their signature line, it is a three legged stool. You take away one leg and all you have is a pile of sticks.

If you are aging or have bad knees, out of shape, etc. and USPSA "paper matches" are too physical for you, and you are looking for a competition that uses strictly shooting ability to seperate the men from the boys, then USPSA HQ has a venue for you. It's called Steel Challenge.

Two other quick points I would like to make:

1. At what point, if any were the stage/CoF designs posted to the web? If they were posted to the web at some point, then at what point could a prospective competitor withdraw from the match and still get his or her full match entry fee refunded? Yeah, just like anybody else out there, I would like see what I am plunking my hard earned cash for.

2. Having RO'ed and SO'ed National level matches, my general impression is that some shooters like to whine, mostly to the MD and sometimes to the RO/SO's . Maybe it is a legitimate complaint. Maybe some shooters just like to be $hit disturbers. From my experiences at these National level matches and hearing these complaints, my conclusion was that you can't please everybody, all the time. If every shooter there got the same fair impartial treatment from the staff as they navigated a CoF, then that is all you can ask for. Nothing more. Nothing less. Lastly a quote from the golfing world supposedly: "Competition doesn't build character. It reveals it." I really need to get that printed on the back of shirt some time and wear that at matches.

All of the above is strictly my opinion. I probably am wrong and YMMV.

I agree completely Chills. Also, when people come to shoot my match with all 6' tall ports I don't want to hear any bitchin'. :goof: That's what they make platform shoes for. :sight:

On a more serious note, low ports, tall ports, prone shooting should all be tested to a degree. All these things just make it more difficult to get the shooting done and that's what it's all about.

Chris :ph34r:

Coach wrote:

I talked to a buddy of mine Saturday evening after he just got done shooting the first day of Area 3. He mentioned "low ports", and I just knew that somebody would come on here to complain about them.

Now this is just my opinion and I don't want to get this thread locked down, but... if you know you are fat or NOT in shape and it affected your performance negatively at this past weekend's Area 3 match, well, maybe then you should internalize that as some sort of motivation to lose the weight and get in shape.

And getting back to the underlying principle of USPSA...DVC...Speed, Power, and Accuracy. It takes the right combination of all three at this sport to excell at it. Like somebody else has as their signature line, it is a three legged stool. You take away one leg and all you have is a pile of sticks.

If you are aging or have bad knees, out of shape, etc. and USPSA "paper matches" are too physical for you, and you are looking for a competition that uses strictly shooting ability to seperate the men from the boys, then USPSA HQ has a venue for you. It's called Steel Challenge.

1. At what point, if any were the stage/CoF designs posted to the web? If they were posted to the web at some point, then at what point could a prospective competitor withdraw from the match and still get his or her full match entry fee refunded? Yeah, just like anybody else out there, I would like see what I am plunking my hard earned cash for.

2. Having RO'ed and SO'ed National level matches, my general impression is that some shooters like to whine, mostly to the MD and sometimes to the RO/SO's . Maybe it is a legitimate complaint. Maybe some shooters just like to be $hit disturbers. From my experiences at these National level matches and hearing these complaints, my conclusion was that you can't please everybody, all the time. If every shooter there got the same fair impartial treatment from the staff as they navigated a CoF, then that is all you can ask for. Nothing more. Nothing less. Lastly a quote from the golfing world supposedly: "Competition doesn't build character. It reveals it." I really need to get that printed on the back of shirt some time and wear that at matches.

I took the long shot and the rest of the targets were visible from the last wall. My Girlfriend hit them on the first shot. I needed more shots.

Sounds like it's time to ask the girlfriend for some pointers. :cheers:

Chris

She told me to buy her a Limited gun.

I took the long shot and the rest of the targets were visible from the last wall. My Girlfriend hit them on the first shot. I needed more shots.

Sounds like it's time to ask the girlfriend for some pointers. :cheers:

Chris

She told me to buy her a Limited gun.

Sounds like a moment of opportunity. I'm sure she would be happier if you bought two new matching Limited guns. :unsure:

Chris

Coach wrote:

Being fat is not a crime and I accept anything that is attached to being so configured.

However, I always took the speed, power and accuracy to relate to the shooting challenge of this sport. Not foot speed and not lower body flexibility. USPSA is not meant to be a footrace, and it is not gymnastics. How much bitching would there be if the bottom of the port started at five and a half feet. Short people could internalize that do something about it.

I have heard people say that tall people can get all the way down to the ground to shoot through a port but that short people cannot get taller. Tall people or fat people having to crunch way down is not always possible either but little folks will never understand that.

You cannot tell from most stage diagrams how high ports are going to be so there was no way of knowing what was planned or how it would be set up. It was a good match, that in my opinion only had one flaw low ports. If you want a low port allow for a prone option.

Or a chainsaw to enlarge it on the clock.

The low ports did suck. But just because I'm old and fat. The shorter people had to deal with things to shoot over . So I think it all came out even in the end. It was a great match.

Too bad Manny's leaving, but Sherwin will do a great job too. I got lucky and hit both big poppers on stage 5 first time :D

Fat, Skinny, Short, Tall, Old, and Young. This sport works for everyone. Some are just not as competitive. In order to compete in a sport you need to prepare yourself for things that put you at a disadvantage.

I had plenty of older folks on my squad that had bad knees and big bellies. Not one had a complaint about the match other than their own failings.

I have nothing bad to say about this match other than my own failure to properly prepare myself for it.

If you have issues due to your own deficiencies then please start a new thread and address them there. I bet this is not the first time you have been challenged by a match.

Fat, Skinny, Short, Tall, Old, and Young. This sport works for everyone. Some are just not as competitive. In order to compete in a sport you need to prepare yourself for things that put you at a disadvantage.

I had plenty of older folks on my squad that had bad knees and big bellies. Not one had a complaint about the match other than their own failings.

I have nothing bad to say about this match other than my own failure to properly prepare myself for it.

If you have issues due to your own deficiencies then please start a new thread and address them there. I bet this is not the first time you have been challenged by a match.

Yep, Hell I went down on the left low port on stage 8 and my right knee gave out and went down on it. Not the stages fault. It's mine for being 25 lbs overweight.

My biggest issue with the match was me. Shot too slow on day 1. And did something insanely stupid on day 2 (zeroed stage 9). Still came in 5th. And after shooting limited for a few years, I forgott how to reload a skinny gun :wacko: Really good match.

@ Coach... I'm sure that with your time in so far either in USPSA or here on BENOS, that you just had to have heard USPSA style of competition half jokingly referred to as "run and gun", right?

If low ports really do bother you that much, there are several avenues for you:

1. don't shoot the match, and ask for a refund, citing your physical limitations.

2. press the MD early on just after the initial match announcment to get the CoF/stage designs emailed to you AND/OR via email or in the match announcement thread impress upon them that you think that the stages should NOT be physically challenging and specifically mention your distaste for low ports.

3. petition the NROI and/or John Amidon to set a max or is it min ?? height setting for low ports

4. when airgunning or doing your walk through of that particular stage, try to game it so that the low port is where you end up last so that at least you are NOT pressed to try to move quickly to another array from kneeling or squatting behind that low port. You can try to stand back up after unload and show clear, off the clock.

5. Just not shoot the targets that were visible through the low port. Yeah, you will be penalizing yourself with a few Mikes and and a few Failures To Engage.

6. Have the Range Officer instructors impress upon the prospective RO students that when it is their time to design stages to encourage the free-styleness of this sport by either designing CoF's where the low port arrays can be shot last and/or the targets can be shot from another position other than through the low port.

And lastly, I will leave you with this video link right here:

Pay special attention to the shooter's legs at the 2:47 and the 3:32 and 4:04 marks. I think it might put things in perspective for ya.

FWIW, I am 37, approaching 250 pounds, with about a 31%+ body fat and was absolutely shocked at what size Safariland and CR Speed belts I had to order from Shooter's Connection. I am also on 10% disabilty from the VA because of my left knee. It is for something really stupid. I banged it on an exposed sprinkler head while playing intramural flag football during Basic Cadet Training in Colorado Springs in the summer of 1990. Once it started acting up in like '98 or '99, I could NO longer run. Maybe that's why I weigh dang near 250 pounds now. Oh, yeah, I'm 5'10" BTW.

Anywhooo... pardon my continued thread jacking.... carry on folks... nothing else to see here.

Edited by Chills1994

Frank, you the guy that lost his front sight?

No... I just had bad ammo and a dirty gun :wacko:

Frank

I can't friggn believe you went to a major with bad ammo and a dirty gun! Shame!

As to low ports... I think a one or two go a long way.

Edited by JThompson