Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody Shoot Open With A .40 Glock?

bthp

open 40 Glock,

Havent thoght much about open 40 ,but have thought about a modified setup.

the principles are close but with a few changes.

What you have to look at are the forces at work when designing a combination that will

1 be reliable

2 be effective.

3 will give the shooter an equal playing field.

in my exsperiences with Glock open 9 guns i will say that the platform is capable

as long as a few precations are taken.

the platform has one flaw that is aperent when steping things up.the factory slides are not as strong as say a caspian and will not last if presures are not controled.They will crack at the locking lug if you use to quick a powder.

I am a fan of hybride /comp set ups and belive in them . they provide soft flat guns .ther is a price to be paid though .these setups require more powder than a comp only gun.With an incress in presures as well . I have found that a three or four port comp with a three or four port hybride setup to be most effective.

powders are your next choice. using 135 's and a slow powder would be the best thing to

power up all the porting.3n37 and 3n38 n350 sp2 all com to mind.these powders will help keep presures down.

the last point to be made is capacity of a 40 they just hold less rounds. you as a shooter have to deside if this will handycap you .

I like the idea but question the reality of the avalibility of open specifice parts. I have either made or have had made all the parts for my open guns . if you have a lot of time on yor hands and a machine shop at your disposal I would encourege you to take on this endevore.

building a gun that works and lasts is a trial and error process that is ongoing for me.

I can tell you that I dont feel the platform has hindered me although there are times when I question my self on this project.ther is a lot more to it than throwing a barrel in and screwwing on a comp.

mho johnnie

I have thought about trying this with my 35. I am looking at the JP optic sight. Probably 3 holes in the barrel. I think that using 140 to 150 gr bullets will work the gun a little better. 180 and 200 gr don't make enough gas. Since I now shoot an STI, I have the Glock laying around collecting dust. I have also considered threading a barrel and no holes in the barrel.

Mike

I modified a 35 with a 6 inch Caspian slide, KKM barrel, and Optima. Just lightened the slide, fit the barrel, and some other stuff. Shot nice, but he just had me port the barrel on the top; I did 3 eighth-inch holes, straight up. I'll let you know how it shoots.

I built ans shot a few 40 open Glocks in the late 90s before switching to a 9mm open glock.

If I were to do it again I would start with a G22 and use a Barsto bbl and one of our new comps. Load vary alot, you just need to try different things.

My old guns worked well but only held 24 rounds in my 170mm mags.