Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JHP expansion

rvb

Saw an interesting thing thing today at a USPSA match. Target was partly hidden behind some natural brush. I clipped the very end of a skinny branch and the result on the paper was impressive. The bullet about 50% expanded. I would not have expected that from such a small twig.

The round was a Zero 125gr jhp .38 Super running at about 1390 fps.

In the picture you can see a couple of frayed ends where the bullet clipped off the end of the branch.

Just thought it was cool so decided to share....

-rvb

zeroexpansion.jpg

just goes to show ya, don't use hollow point bullets when shooting in natural terrain. (ie; 3 gun) If your tgt is a piece of steel 10 yds behind the piece of brush you shot thru, the leftovers of the bullet may not make it to the steel tgt...

jj

From a strict rules standpoint, I'm guessing that if one of the "petals" broke a perf (either scoring or penalty) it would NOT count. If you use an overlay per the rulebook, the area of the "petals" would certainly fall outside the bullet diameter, right?? Disclaimer - I'm not a certified RO, but I do know how to run a timer :lol:

ETA - by this same logic, could a shooter claim a double since the "petals" ARE larger than the overlay? Need a rules guru in here ASAP!!

Edited by Fullauto_Shooter

From a strict rules standpoint, I'm guessing that if one of the "petals" broke a perf (either scoring or penalty) it would NOT count. If you use an overlay per the rulebook, the area of the "petals" would certainly fall outside the bullet diameter, right?? Disclaimer - I'm not a certified RO, but I do know how to run a timer :lol:

ETA - by this same logic, could a shooter claim a double since the "petals" ARE larger than the overlay? Need a rules guru in here ASAP!!

Lets look up the section of the rule book that covers overlays? :unsure: