Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Recall

vetts1911

Yeah I was trying not point out a model.

I hear that they had issues and a recall that was on the G23 but is was not made public. A police dept had a bad run from how the story goes.

The other was about the 26 having issues with the guide rod.

I was looking at getting a compact and was just trying to do a little research with people that been there or know of.

I have been very happy with my 34/35 over the years.

Here is what I found on the web so far.

http://www.policeworld.net/vb/archive/index.php?t-4670.html

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/problems.html

You will never hear a good word about Glock on the gunzone except maybe for that guy that writes all that stuff to say he "owns one so he knows what he is talking about". Call Glock, ask them if they are having a recall.

Several years ago, there was a frame problem with all the glocks made during a certain time. Can't remember, maybe it was the K serial numbers. It wasn't a recall but if you had problems or wanted to upgrade your gun, you could send it to them, they would send you back your gun with a new frame. I thought that had all died down.

MLM

If its on the internet, so it must be true !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would call Glock to get the real story before believing anything you read on the internet. Especially concerning a safety issue with a firearm.

Several years ago, there was a frame problem with all the glocks made during a certain time. Can't remember, maybe it was the K serial numbers. It wasn't a recall but if you had problems or wanted to upgrade your gun, you could send it to them, they would send you back your gun with a new frame. I thought that had all died down.

MLM

Yes there was an issue with some frames in the E serial number range that could possibly shear frame rails. You had to call Glock to see whether your specific serial number was in the affected range. There was mass hysteria on GlockTalk about it, but I don't know how many frames ever actually sheared a rail. Pictures of frames with missing rails showed up and Glock replaced many frames. I am sure Glock would fix any gun that had a frame rail shear though.

There was a firing pin "upgrade" many years ago that would require that several internal parts would be replaced. An easy way to tell if you needed the upgrade was if your trigger bar and other internals were black in color instead if silver. My old G21 needed the firing pin upgrade and they also milled the slide and changed the extractor from the old 90° style to the 15°.

I have never heard of Glock using the term Recall, only upgrade.

You will never hear a good word about Glock on the gunzone except maybe for that guy that writes all that stuff to say he "owns one so he knows what he is talking about".

Except of course that he controls about 50 different URLs with different looking web pages that all sell Glock parts and gear that all share same shopping cart. He even glomed onto the glockfaq web site recently. So he now controls a significant percentage web sales of Glock aftermarket accessories. And on all those web sites, it's all "Glock is Great" - buy all my stuff.

Back to the recall... the problems with the rails is old news and only effected certain models and, AFAIK has all been taken care of.

Edited by Graham Smith

MLM

Yes there was an issue with some frames in the E serial number range that could possibly shear frame rails. You had to call Glock to see whether your specific serial number was in the affected range. There was mass hysteria on GlockTalk about it, but I don't know how many frames ever actually sheared a rail. Pictures of frames with missing rails showed up and Glock replaced many frames. I am sure Glock would fix any gun that had a frame rail shear though.

There was a firing pin "upgrade" many years ago that would require that several internal parts would be replaced. An easy way to tell if you needed the upgrade was if your trigger bar and other internals were black in color instead if silver. My old G21 needed the firing pin upgrade and they also milled the slide and changed the extractor from the old 90° style to the 15°.

I have never heard of Glock using the term Recall, only upgrade.

My 34 sheared years back. Right rear rail. Could have been gone for weeks but I kept shooting. Did not notice it until I took it apart to clean it after a bunch of matches. Sent it to Glock, got a new one in about 10 days. Nice.

Thanks that was what I needed to know. If I run in to a used deal I didn't want to run in to issue. I feel a bit better now with that knowledge to hunt one down and if I find and issue I know Glock will handle it.

Thanks!

Glock has had a number of issues, but the rate of problems compared to any other gun is miniscule. Glock currently is putting out over 60,000 guns a month. I'd have to take a look at the numbers but I'd guess that's more than the number 2-4 manufacturers make in a month combined. There are literally millions of Glocks out there. We've sheared frame rails at the agency I work for, and for some reason they come in bunches. But we've also got several hundred of them and they go through about a million rounds of ammo every year or so.

Best bet if you want to buy a Glock, buy it. Call Glock with the Serial and find out if it needs a new frame. If it does, they'll give you one for free. Then when the first GSSF match shows up in your area, take the gun there and give it to an armorer. He'll detail strip it and replace any parts that need replacing for free as well. There is no other manufacturer with this type of service.

You will never hear a good word about Glock on the gunzone except maybe for that guy that writes all that stuff to say he "owns one so he knows what he is talking about".

Except of course that he controls about 50 different URLs with different looking web pages that all sell Glock parts and gear that all share same shopping cart. He even glomed onto the glockfaq web site recently. So he now controls a significant percentage web sales of Glock aftermarket accessories. And on all those web sites, it's all "Glock is Great" - buy all my stuff.

Permit me to deconfuse some members here, starting with Graham Smith.

I am the referenced "that guy" who owns, maintains and authors more than 80% of the content on The Gun Zone.

I neither own nor control nor have any financial interest in any Website or enterprise that markets, sells or promotes any product or service relating to Glock or any other firearms company, either here or in the rest of the world.

So, Graham Smith, you are not only incorrect, but egregiously so.

As for "mlmiller1," your reading skills are demonstrably deficient as well.

In respect to "Glock recalls," there have been a significant number of them, dating back to 1991 with the Models 21, and then the first one affecting the entire product line in April 1993. Glock Inc. declines to call it a "recall," instead referring to it as a "Product Upgrade."

If it doesn't concern you, fine. But don't attempt to reassure others concerning a subject about which you are misinformed.

I haven't written anything about Glock recalls or upgrades in several years now, but everything pertaining to the problems with the Austrian pistols published in The Gun Zone Glock pages is documented and verifiable.

Thank you.

Edited by Singlestack
to remove link

Yeah I was trying not point out a model.

I hear that they had issues and a recall that was on the G23 but is was not made public. A police dept had a bad run from how the story goes.

Vetts,

Can you provide any sort of details about what sort of problem it was? I'm aware of one recognized probelm that hasn't necessarily been published, and it's not related to frame rails. R,

Edit: If you'd rather PM me that's cool too.

Edited by G-ManBart

.So, Graham Smith, you are not only incorrect, but egregiously so.

I humbly apologize. I let my mouth loose without checking the facts. For some time now, I was under the impression that "The Gun Zone" was yet another arm of the TGSCOM octopus.

But for the record, I never said: "You will never hear a good word about Glock on the gunzone except maybe for that guy that writes all that stuff to say he "owns one so he knows what he is talking about". I was quoting that. Which still does not excuse me for responding as I did - I have a rather sharp burr under my saddle about some things and that lead me to misfire.

Edited by Graham Smith