Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Barrel Life

kmitchl

My G34 has lost a lot of accuracy after around 15,000 rounds. I shot it off a rest yesterday and had a 6" group at 25 yds. To eliminate the "me" factor I shot My G35 with the same sights, etc at the same time and grouped under 3". Everything through this barrel was FMJ loaded to Production power levels. I used the same load I've used for several years and found to be accurate. Is there anything to consider as the cause other than a shot out barrel? What's considered "normal" barrel life fo Glock barrels?

My G34 has lost a lot of accuracy after around 15,000 rounds. I shot it off a rest yesterday and had a 6" group at 25 yds. To eliminate the "me" factor I shot My G35 with the same sights, etc at the same time and grouped under 3". Everything through this barrel was FMJ loaded to Production power levels. I used the same load I've used for several years and found to be accurate. Is there anything to consider as the cause other than a shot out barrel? What's considered "normal" barrel life fo Glock barrels?

More likely than a shot out barrel is that the locking surfaces on on the hood ov the barrel have loosened up. I have around 30,000 rounds through my G35 and it still shoots under 3" at 25 yards if I can do my part. Try pushing down on the barrel at the chamber with a loaded round in the gun. If you get much movement then that is probably the issue. :cheers:

Check your locking block and pins for cracks etc.

15K ain't nuthin'

Patrick

What he said. I have yet to see the rifling go out of a glock barrel, but lots of other stuff breaks that affects the accuracy.

I have about 70-90k on a G34 OEM barrel and it still shoots 3" groups at 25yds.

Your barrel isn't broke in yet :) I've got a beater G35 with at least five times that on it. Something else is happening. Try loading up 20-30 with matching headstamp brass and see were you're at.

Jim

Glock barrels wear out like any other barrel. I have a 9mm that the rifling looks worn after 50k compared to a newer barrel. Moly coated lead now tumbles with it. It previously shot thousands of moly coated without tumbling through this barrel. With my newer (less used barrels) no tumbling. Some 147grain FMJ loads tumble with the worn barrel, that don't with the newer barrel. However, both still shoot factory jacketed 115s just fine. I asked the same question of how long the G34 barrel will last, and the answer was always "it depends." It may be for that barrel, that bullet, the rifling is too worn. I would try some factory 115s and see how it shoots.

Glock barrels wear out like any other barrel. I have a 9mm that the rifling looks worn after 50k compared to a newer barrel. Moly coated lead now tumbles with it. It previously shot thousands of moly coated without tumbling through this barrel. With my newer (less used barrels) no tumbling. Some 147grain FMJ loads tumble with the worn barrel, that don't with the newer barrel. However, both still shoot factory jacketed 115s just fine. I asked the same question of how long the G34 barrel will last, and the answer was always "it depends." It may be for that barrel, that bullet, the rifling is too worn. I would try some factory 115s and see how it shoots.

50k, ya OK, I could see that with serious pf rounds. 15k, no way. Not unless something other than normal wear and tear has occurred to that barrel.

Quick check - try swapping the top ends (you shouldn't need to change out the ejectors for just a few groups, but be careful ejecting a live 40 round while using the 34 lower).

If your 35 top end accuracy goes to pot on the 34 lower, and your 34 upper gets better over the 35 receiver, then it's probably the 34 lower that's giving you grief.

If not, then something in the slide assembly (barrel, lockup, sights) is likely the problem.

Edited by kevin c