Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is it Wrong to Overuse Type 1 Focus?

DyNo!

I know this topic has been discussed many times here but I'm going to bring it up again.

Let me start by saying I play Time Crisis religiously:

248imbild1gebraucht6603.jpg

The reason that's relevant is because I do nothing but practice point shooting in it.

Last night, I shot an 85% classifier on Mini-Mart. I only took one sight picture for the first double action shot using a Beretta 92G Elite II.

Every other shot was made by using "the force" as I call it or type 1 focus as Brian Enos calls it. All alphas.

(That was the second time I shot the stage. The first time I shot the stage, I shot it slower and I dropped 6/60 points. I was using iron sights.)

The only problem is that if I recall correctly, he says type 1 focus is only supposed to be used at a certain distance. I shot the other two stages of the night in the same manner; I only used iron sights for difficult shots.

No mikes, no deltas.

This has happened a couple of matches in a row. My times have gotten better and my scores have stayed the same or improved. I'm no pro but I think maybe I should stick with it and use it more liberally like I'm starting to do.

Is shooting using "the force" wrong?

What distance were the targets you were shooting at?

I have found that in some means I always have a peripheral knowledge of my aiming device. some targets i am still looking at the target and see the sights there. others just seeing the gun in front of the targets and extreme close up shots seeing my fists there.

Even though you may be using full target focus I would say your atleast subconsciously aware of where your sights are.

What distance were the targets you were shooting at?

Even though you may be using full target focus I would say your atleast subconsciously aware of where your sights are.

I think so too since I'm lining up the sights for the first shot of a string. I'm looking at the targets though after that. (Not for hits, just for aiming at them)

Is this similar to "turret aiming"?

10 meters or less for all of the targets without sights.

Here's Robert Romero running that stage at 100%:

Edited by DyNo!

Here is something to think about. I had 8 mikes at the IN sectional this year. Still finished 9th overall but 8 mikes is way to many. Anyway, the longest mike I had I bet wasn't 8 yards away. I didn't Mike any long range targets just the close stuff. I got caught in the, "my gun is close enough pull the trigger", thinking and it hurt. Just make sure when you use the "force" that your using it well or it will be the dark side soon enough.

You need to see what you need to see to hit the target and call the shot reliably the moment it breaks. If all you're doing is pointing the gun in the vicinity of the target and whacking the trigger, you're surviving on luck alone.... and luck will run out, usually at the most unfortunate time. ;)

Did you know all the hits where Alphas before they where scored?

It does not take any longer to actually be aware of where the sights are and this makes calling the shot much easier.

BK

Last night, I shot an 85% classifier on Mini-Mart. I only took one sight picture for the first double action shot using a Beretta 92G Elite II.

Well done. Mini-mart is a short range classifier. I also shoot it with a target focus, but still aware of my sights generally.

The goal is to know what you need to see for different targets to make the shot based on the size/distance/difficulty/ movement (if any) of the target.

You know you can shoot the targets at that distance without a clear front sight - don't think that applies to all targets though. One size does not fit all.

Technically that's a type two focus. Make sure you are focused on the targets for this, it's really easy to get sucked into not seeing the A zone. I tend to look through the sights on stages like that, mostly to slow myself down a bit and make sure I'm stopping the gun.

I don't want to quote focus type, because I have not honestly looked at them.

Looking at the video of rob, he is seeing his sights on every target, he was very deliberate in that stage. That is what wins matches, We all have phases where one aspect of our game moves ahead of the others. I would say your just not conscious of seeing the sights if your getting good hits yet.

That may have been a 100% classifier, (this is an easy classifier by the way) But rob could have been going a lot faster.

My attempt is to see the sights on EVERY shot. find the target with my eyes. quickly transition back to the sights and then shoot the shots and move the eyes to the next target. This didn't come easy, as it took a lot of practice on changing focus. it was also one of my weakenesses shooting a match this weekend ( not calling EVERY shot)

I don't want to quote focus type, because I have not honestly looked at them.

Looking at the video of rob, he is seeing his sights on every target, he was very deliberate in that stage. That is what wins matches, We all have phases where one aspect of our game moves ahead of the others. I would say your just not conscious of seeing the sights if your getting good hits yet.

That may have been a 100% classifier, (this is an easy classifier by the way) But rob could have been going a lot faster.

My attempt is to see the sights on EVERY shot. find the target with my eyes. quickly transition back to the sights and then shoot the shots and move the eyes to the next target. This didn't come easy, as it took a lot of practice on changing focus. it was also one of my weakenesses shooting a match this weekend ( not calling EVERY shot)

That's good to know.

I'll stop and start getting better at calling my shots instead of using the dark side of the force. :roflol:

It was tempting though...

• 2 weeks later...

Every other shot was made by using "the force" as I call it or type 1 focus as Brian Enos calls it. All alphas.

(That was the second time I shot the stage. The first time I shot the stage, I shot it slower and I dropped 6/60 points. I was using iron sights.)

The only problem is that if I recall correctly, he says type 1 focus is only supposed to be used at a certain distance. I shot the other two stages of the night in the same manner; I only used iron sights for difficult shots.

No mikes, no deltas.

This has happened a couple of matches in a row. My times have gotten better and my scores have stayed the same or improved. I'm no pro but I think maybe I should stick with it and use it more liberally like I'm starting to do.

Is shooting using "the force" wrong?

Did you know all the hits where Alphas before they where scored?

It does not take any longer to actually be aware of where the sights are and this makes calling the shot much easier.

BK

Plus 2 to BK's Q&S. (question and statement)

be