Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Iron Sights

sandman_sy

I'm looking for basically the same thing as the OP.

From what you guys are saying a fixed front post is optimal for 3gun, so I should be looking for one of these that will clamp onto my barrel? That looks like what's on your rifle(I think) Mike.

Then something like this for the rear?

I want to keep things basic for now because most of my funds are going into saving up for a pistol for limited division. I just want to get something that will let me start shooting the rifle and that will be ok to start out with for rifle matches.

Will that stuff do the job?

Thanks

Robbie

Edit*** Just read the "Intended as a Backup Sight Only" line in the description for that rear sight. Is there something else I should get? There's so many choices for these rifles its overwhelming to an AR newbie that has no idea what to get, and I already made the mistake of buying a whole bunch of the wrong stuff when I started competing in pistol matches, so I'd like to save some cash and ask you guys for help.

Edited by Rob D

both sights will work just make sure the rear has at least enough elevation to go to 600, not that you'll need it but 300 is not enough at times. Sights similar to the rear you show will work just fine they just have more elevation available.

trapr

Here's what I used on my DPMS upper-- A2 FSB mounted at muzzle w/ (4) set screws drilled and tapped in bottom. Set screws are located each side of the sling swivel in the rear band, and each side of the bayonet lug in the front band. I put them in at an angle to put even pressure on the bottom of the barrel. The barrel is actually about .730 at this location, and the FSB is made for a .750 barrel, but I didn't shim it. It seems like it's plenty sturdy, but I need some more time bumping it around to make sure it won't move. The best option is the JP clamp on FSB, but I put this rifle together with cheap in mind, and the JP FSB is a little over $100.

FSB has .050 NM square post. Rear sight is a DPMS like in the link.

368958154.jpg

368958149.jpg

both sights will work just make sure the rear has at least enough elevation to go to 600, not that you'll need it but 300 is not enough at times. Sights similar to the rear you show will work just fine they just have more elevation available.

trapr

Thanks Trapr. I'll make sure I find one with more elevation adjustment. Got her sighted in last night with a borrowed Leupold 3-9, but I can't wait to get some irons on it.

The best option is the JP clamp on FSB, but I put this rifle together with cheap in mind, and the JP FSB is a little over $100.

What advantage does the JP FSB give vs a standard GI style? I thought about using one, but figured having an extra fail point between the base and the sight wouldn't be ideal.

I think the JP is better because it clamps on, instead of having to either rig a standard FSB like I did, or have a .625 FSB opened up to .730. It easily clamps down to .730 at the end of the barrel. Sorry, I should have used a catalog #, I think we're talking about two different bases

http://jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPGS-2FS

The only thing I don't like about the JP is the sight protectors are a little wider and a bit tighter radius at top than a standard FSB.

Edited by Bryan 45

I think the JP is better because it clamps on, instead of having to either rig a standard FSB like I did, or have a .625 FSB opened up to .730. It easily clamps down to .730 at the end of the barrel. Sorry, I should have used a catalog #, I think we're talking about two different bases

http://jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPGS-2FS

The only thing I don't like about the JP is the sight protectors are a little wider and a bit tighter radius at top than a standard FSB.

I understand. I thought you were talking about the JP Front Sight Mounting Block that lets you mount a detachable front sight. That makes complete sense. Thanks for the quick reply. :cheers:

Mr. Daughterty you should ask these questions to the "Kurt guy" you shot with over the weekend. The guy with the Namibian shirt on...(Hey Rico you won the match!!) I hear that he is a fair 3-gunner and is the one who started all this extended sight radius stuff, AND he is right close to you as he lives in Edmond. I would send him a P.M. and get his phone number or something. :roflol: Kurt(that Kurt guy)M

Mr. Daughterty you should ask these questions to the "Kurt guy" you shot with over the weekend. The guy with the Namibian shirt on...(Hey Rico you won the match!!) I hear that he is a fair 3-gunner and is the one who started all this extended sight radius stuff, AND he is right close to you as he lives in Edmond. I would send him a P.M. and get his phone number or something. :roflol: Kurt(that Kurt guy)M

Aaaa come on Kurt why would one go to THE source?

Hell I live 1,800 miles away and when I just gots to know...............I call 1-800-kurtnow

See ya tomorrow amigo!

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite topic!

I have been always shooting rifles with tunnel-type front sights (call it HK-style or whatever you will). Thus for me the standard AR front sight is just a no go. I simply feel I cannot hit anything with it. I bet that is just me not being used to them though. I know too many excellent shooters shooting extremely well with them.

But due to my history, I am now shooting Lyman Globe sight as I swithed to the AR platform. For me it feels natural how the eye automatically centers the front tunnel and the rear aperture. I have the sight mounted on Lipski mount as far to the front as possible. For the aperture I use the narrow post coming with the sight. I feel I could well use a narrower one. One big advantage of having the post in the tunnel is it is hidden from the direct sunlight reducing the effect to POI due to glare. There are two things I do not like about the setup:

1. Weight: both mount and the sight are steel, and the weight is in the front ed of the rifle.

2. The aperture locking nut is quite thick. It blocks a lot of visibility when aiming. I got bitten twice this season by it.

The limitations are not that huge though so I think I will keep the setup for the next season as well. Or I might look at the plastic version of the same idea from Anschutz.

For the rear sight I have the basic DPMS A2 rear sight. I use the small aperture almost exclusively. The bigger one is too loose for me if I need to shoot more than 30m distances. For CQB-Stuff it rocks. I have and will switch between the rear apertures mid-stage if needed.

/isto

• 2 weeks later...
its a front sight assembly the complete assembly. I didn't see it on your link.

although if memory serves me the JP fat barrels are smaller than normal fat barrels.

trapr

Thanks, I'll call JP on Tue. and see what they say ..